What is PC?

You always here the term PC... Politically correct?... Patriotically correct? What exactly is it? Or is it a combination of both?

Say someone hates retards and they don't support the troops.

So what you're saying is. The best way to piss of a liberal is to support the troops. :rolleyes:

Nice reference to our troops being retarded :rolleyes:

“You know, education, if you make the most of it, if you study hard and you do your homework, and you make an effort to be smart, uh, you, you can do well. If you don’t, you get stuck in Iraq.” — John Kerry

“You know, education, if you make the most of it, if you study hard and you do your homework, and you make an effort to be smart, uh, you, you can do well. If you don’t, you get stuck in Iraq.” — John Kerry

I am well aware of this quote. B-) Probably among the ones that cost Kerry the election

I am well aware of this quote. :ph34r: Probably among the ones that cost Kerry the election

I always wonder when I hear something like the quote and your response to it: are you saying it was a mistake, and that he screwed up? Or, are you saying that he believes it, but shouldn't have said it? While we're at it: same question for you also.

I always wonder when I hear something like the quote and your response to it: are you saying it was a mistake, and that he screwed up? Or, are you saying that he believes it, but shouldn't have said it? While we're at it: same question for you also.

In some ways it is unfortunately true, where our brightest are not in the military, as the incentive for many of them to go to college generally outweighs enlisting during wartime. The only saving grace is that the ROTC program is alive and kicking on many campuses around the country. Frankly, I believe this what Kerry believes. However, in the sensitive eyes of Americans, it is a mistake to say something like that in the political realm.

Given the amount of waste cases (intelligent or not) I have seen in schools, I am slowly turning my belief into thinking that maybe all American citizens should be required to do a year or two in the service. You wouldn't have too many problems with enlistment numbers at that point, and you would make use of many Americans who may otherwise be feeding off our system. In addition, maybe some of our people would benefit from the experiences of being in the armed forces.

In some ways it is unfortunately true, where our brightest are not in the military, as the incentive for many of them to go to college generally outweighs enlisting during wartime. The only saving grace is that the ROTC program is alive and kicking on many campuses around the country. Frankly, I believe this what Kerry believes. However, in the sensitive eyes of Americans, it is a mistake to say something like that in the political realm.

Given the amount of waste cases (intelligent or not) I have seen in schools, I am slowly turning my belief into thinking that maybe all American citizens should be required to do a year or two in the service. You wouldn't have too many problems with enlistment numbers at that point, and you would make use of many Americans who may otherwise be feeding off our system. In addition, maybe some of our people would benefit from the experiences of being in the armed forces.

I agree. Although I would broaden it a little to include non-military programs. Some kids just won't be able to "get over that f'ing wall!"( you %#-ass mother#@#ing GD POS)...and might freak out from the amount of venom being directed at them. I always wanted to be able to swear as well as enlisted DIs, but my rank and expected bearing didn't allow it. Their ability to combine 30 swear words in a sentence, but still have it be meaningful, was legendary. Anyway, having a real-deal drill instructor might just give some of them a real-deal heart attack, or make them lose their minds. The military can't use them. Therefore, I'd make a similar disciplined training program as basic, but I'd tailor it towards teaching, public works, even teaching the arts, so that we put the right kids in the right spots, but toughen them up with long hours, heavy work loads, real teamwork, and real opportunities to learn followship/leadership skills and use them.

Besides getting to blow up more stuff than in my wildest dreams as a kid I never could've imagined, the most interesting part of the service is being thrown together with other people from all kinds of backgrounds and from all over the country. (Make no mistake, for me it seemed the cool stuff = 5%, the boring = 95%, which is why I left). It challenges your views on some things, and reinforces them on others(there are good people and azzholes, everywhere). The important thing is you have to work together with strangers to get things done, and you get about 30 seconds to realize that. Early on, working together immediately and effectively is much more desirable than the alternative, because the alternative earns you a PT, or a literal, beating.<-- only at where I was, no place else that I know of, and I heard they got rid of that stuff.

Later on, and because you've dealt with the BS early stuff, you get a chance to talk with your squad and learn about other parts of the country, especially while shining shoes. I learned more while shining shoes about the country and about how different people look at things, etc., than I had learned in any class. For example, I learned why people from the south view weapons as tradition, not power. I had always thought guns = hicks, for no other reason than that's what I was told, especially by my extended "enlightened liberal" family.

On the flip side, I learned that without school food some of my classmates (different races, different parts of the country) would have gone hungry every day, and often starved, and therefore stole, in the summer, because the public assistance wasn't going into food. This, and usually the sport they played, was their only chance at getting out. This one guy from Oklahoma was a wrestler and never had a problem making weight in high school because he was usually starving anyway.

This was a shock: I learned that many times African Americans think that because of affirmative action, everybody always assumes that it's the only reason they are there, even when nobody had a chance to even think about it one way or the other(um, we were too busy getting our asses kicked). Therefore, they create their own inferiority complex because they think everybody else thinks they shouldn't be there. :blink: I had always thought it was a good idea and beyond reproach until that day, when I realized it was putting everybody behind the 8 ball before anybody had said or done anything. How is that "progressive"? I still don't know.

I think everybody should get a chance at that kind of experience. I am in favor of a 2 year, national service program, military or otherwise, because the positives far outweigh the negatives. If nothing else it will serve to explain things in a much more real manner and there's everything to like about mixing class and race in a common goal. And come on, it's not like we absolutely have to have another 22 year old tomorrow. :ph34r: I am often knee deep in them, this is why I B word about college professors today, because their students, like Reagan said "Know so much that simply isn't so" and they rarely know what they need to know, even after 4 years in a major that does what we do.

Yep... The PC police really crucified him for that one.

The truth hurts.

Any strange concidence that my father drops out of school after 6th grade and finds himself in the Army (artillery... Korean Conflict)... And I finish college and find myself working as a civilian for the USACE. :rolleyes:

Big difference there Sparky's.

Now this is not a knock on people who really want to express their "patriotic duty" and jump into the infantry... It just illustrates that point that most are "shoe-horned" into things that they may not want to be doing (yet, to their credit may accept with all their heart).