Another school system goes nuts

stuckincincy

I'm assuming your kids get their papers and tests back with grades on them. If I'm wrong I apologize but if they do I don't understand why you need the teachers to let you know grades when you can get the papers from your kids yourself.

Dan....the papers do have grades on them....but they are so late they already well into the next assignment before I can get them.

I will give it in a scenario like this.

- Say they are in a certain chapter in science.....lets say Chapter 1 with 5 segments in it. They get tested on each segment.

- By the time I see the grades back from that 1st segment they are almost ready to start Chapter 2

- If the segments all tie together in Chapter 1....and you can get the grades by the time they are onto segment 2 or even 3. You have a chance to find out where the problems are and put extra focus on those areas before they get to the end of the chapter......raising the grades for the final segments.....salvaging the grade for the Chapter.

Its almost like......well...there is the progress report with the F......but by the time this is out things are so bad you cant salvage the grade before you get to the report card. Also the tutors in the after school program can only help if they know whats broken. They receive the grades so late on the papers that it is too late to do anything about it.

Now.....my wife was a complete #uckup when it came to school and I was a one of those kids that if I got a B on a test I was upset. As it turns out my son breezes through school with minimal effort and high grades....my daughter struggles, becomes frustrated, and at times wants to just give up.

One big happy family.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Phuck... I made it through HS and college with minimal parent involvement... :lol: You just got good grades... It was expected... You didn't and then you had parent involvement! NO THANKS! Usually pulled high B's and A's with a 91 average...

That's probably why I am a lowly lock and dam operator.

Sh$t!

:rolleyes::wallbash:

Exile.....me to. my parents didn't even want to talk to me about homework most of the time but luckily it was not hard for me. But as God would have it he blessed me with a beutiful daughter who needs extra help.

Dan....the papers do have grades on them....but they are so late they already well into the next assignment before I can get them.

- Say they are in a certain chapter in science.....lets say Chapter 1 with 5 segments in it. They get tested on each segment.

- By the time I see the grades back from that 1st segment they are almost ready to start Chapter 2

- If the segments all tie together in Chapter 1....and you can get the grades by the time they are onto segment 2 or even 3. You have a chance to find out where the problems are and put extra focus on those areas before they get to the end of the chapter......raising the grades for the final segments.....salvaging the grade for the Chapter.

Its almost like......well...there is the progress report with the F......but by the time this is out things are so bad you cant salvage the grade before you get to the report card. Also the tutors in the after school program can only help if they know whats broken. They receive the grades so late on the papers that it is too late to do anything about it.

Now.....my wife was a complete #uckup when it came to school and I was a one of those kids that if I got a B on a test I was upset. As it turns out my son breezes through school with minimal effort and high grades....my daughter struggles, becomes frustrated, and at times wants to just give up.

One big happy family.

Parents were dealing with that scenario for decades. I know it's harder for you but it's not the teacher's responsibility to keep you updated every day or every week. If they had to do that for every kid it would ludicrous. They have over 150 students to look after and to grade papers for. You can ask the teachers that don't use the internet to use it because you want help but I don't think it can be expected.

Parents were dealing with that scenario for decades. I know it's harder for you but it's not the teacher's responsibility to keep you updated every day or every week. If they had to do that for every kid it would ludicrous. They have over 150 students to look after and to grade papers for. You can ask the teachers that don't use the internet to use it because you want help but I don't think it can be expected.

I dont agree Dan.....

We will just have to agree to dissagree on this

John,

Couldn't you make a copy of her homework assignments and provide those to her tutors, and ask that a copy of the tests are sent to the tutors? They won't be able to give an exact grade, as teachers have different criteria, but it will at the very least give them an idea as to what she needs to work on. This way who cares how long the teacher takes to grade the papers/assignments. Just a thought.

Also, while I believe that teachers should care, they only have so much time to care. Many have children of their own, and obviously you care very much about your children you can see that if they needed to keep every parent(or even a handful) updated regularily this might impinge on the time they are able to spend with their children/family, and I'm not sure that that is fair either.

Just to head this off; I understand cheating concerns may prevent the tests from being copied, but the homework assignments should provide a suitable base for a tutor to see where she would need help, and areas to strengthen before the test. Even more importantly they will see areas that she is exceling in, and would be able to structure their tutoring in a way to focus on her weaknesses in a particular subject using her strenghts as a way to get around her weakness.

ie she is good at music, so use neumonic devices to help her learn european history, or for fractions say something like if you have two musical pieces you want to combine, but one is in 3/4 time, and the other is in 7/8 time you can't just add them together because obviously they are not the same, so you need to make them both in some time measure that works.

Something like that, I don't know, I do know it's tough, I worked with kids with autism for a year, and with them it was even more important to find a method of presenting something in a way that they will attend to the task, as well as gain something out of it, not even close to simple.

One big happy family.

John

What about one big carrot? If your daughter is so talented musically, and may want to make that a career, does she know that they have schools for music? Do you? What if you did a bit of research into a place like Julliard, used it as a motivational carrot. "What if you could go to a cschool focused solely on music? Gotta have decent enough grades..."

Just a random thought.

http://www.juilliard.edu/

ie she is good at music, so use neumonic devices to help her learn european history,

I have found that mnemonic devices work much better.

m to the n to the e..haha i was going to say something about air pressure, except I am pretty sure that is spelled with a p someplace :rolleyes:

One big happy family.

You love your daughter, John. Look out, do things in her behalf. You won't be around forever, though, so temper.

Look in the mirror. Be careful that that love doesn't take away her self-reliance. That will stunt her maturity. If you constantly defend, she will develop no defenses. She will be weakened. Her world will depend on you - and you shall croak eventually.

It's wrong to shield the hard knocks that all growing kids have to deal with and solve. They will end up being neurotic.

John,

Couldn't you make a copy of her homework assignments and provide those to her tutors, and ask that a copy of the tests are sent to the tutors? They won't be able to give an exact grade, as teachers have different criteria, but it will at the very least give them an idea as to what she needs to work on. This way who cares how long the teacher takes to grade the papers/assignments. Just a thought.

Also, while I believe that teachers should care, they only have so much time to care. Many have children of their own, and obviously you care very much about your children you can see that if they needed to keep every parent(or even a handful) updated regularily this might impinge on the time they are able to spend with their children/family, and I'm not sure that that is fair either.

The problem is the tests scores are VERY late.

Tutors can help her when they get them....but it doesn't do much good becuase her tests are already done, gone, posted, and cannot be fixed. I dont want to take away from these teachers quality of life, but I do expect a reasonable time of know how she did.

Shoot....there are times when the teachers wont even return my calls. I had to go to the principle to get them to respond and when they do its never something that they can fix in their teaching it is something Ashlee is doing wrong. For instance.....one of the teachers was complaining that Ashlee was talking in class and not paying attention. Come to find out it was kids around her desk bugging her and the "talking" was "leave me alone" so I ask.....why cant you just move her to another seat? The answer? Because I already moved other kids away from this group so they could study. What? So not only can you not control your classroom...not only will you not look out for my daugher by moving her....but you then you are also going to blame HER for not being able to pay attention. The teacher even admitted to the fact that it was not Ashlee being disruptive and bothering other students it was the other way around.

This is the stuff I have to deal with.

John

What about one big carrot? If your daughter is so talented musically, and may want to make that a career, does she know that they have schools for music? Do you? What if you did a bit of research into a place like Julliard, used it as a motivational carrot. "What if you could go to a cschool focused solely on music? Gotta have decent enough grades..."

Just a random thought.

http://www.juilliard.edu/

We have been discussing this over the past year and lately.

You love your daughter, John. Look out, do things in her behalf. You won't be around forever, though, so temper.

Look in the mirror. Be careful that that love doesn't take away her self-reliance. That will stunt her maturity. If you constantly defend, she will develop no defenses. She will be weakened. Her world will depend on you - and you shall croak eventually.

It's wrong to shield the hard knocks that all growing kids have to deal with and solve. They will end up being neurotic.

Tru dat.

I know what you are saying and I am working on it.