Fredonia Girl Wins a Silver

And maybe things aren't always as they seem.

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/apps/p.../808240329/1007

Sure, it's possible she may just be defending him as a gesture of gratitude for all that he's done, but I tend to believe her. I never thought what the guy did was all that bad in the first place. We have no idea how she likes to be coached. Some people like to be kicked in the ass.

True. Look at artie Fufkin...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0s2Tk-cbig&feature=related

Not surprisingly, ultra-douche Jerry Sullivan defends the Coach.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/story/420458.html

Depends on which day it is. From that column:

Stuczynski and Suhr are a team, playing for high stakes in a cut-throat arena. I suspect that many of the people who were incensed by Suhr’s behavior are parents who don’t believe in raising your voice to the kiddies or keeping score at their soccer games.

Coaches are going to get in women’s faces and rip them sometimes, just like the guys. Deal with it. If you want to be treated the same, this is part of the bargain. Don’t cheer for them to “kick Russian butt” and expect them to be treated like fragile schoolgirls when they get their rear ends whipped.

Ah, but look back a few days earlier, on his blog: Suhr loser?

I can't say for sure what went on with Suhr and Stuczynski. I know it looked bad on TV (click here to see the video). But it didn't come up in the brief interviews with her after the event. She didn't appear in the press conference because she was being drug-tested. There was a press conference at the press center Tuesday morning, but the media folks with the U.S. press office didn't bother to do a transcript.

All I can say is that Suhr has been unreachable lately. Both the Rochester paper and I tried to get him, to no avail. At times in the past, he was available and willing to talk endlessly about pole vaulting. Maybe getting a protege to the national stage has gone to his head. Jenn doesn't seem affected by it. She was bubbly and engaging after her two days of performing. There are whispers that maybe Suhr is too controlling and has a Svengali type hold on her.

But unless I'm missing something, he embarrassed himself in front of the nation Monday night, and Jenn and her family ought to get in his face and let him know he went over the line. Hey, Rick, you weren't the one putting yourself on the line for your country against one of the best track and field athletes in the world!

Stuczynski defends her coach. I think he was out of line but maybe she is OK with it.

Stuczynski says Suhr did only what she expects him to do. "What he said to me is nothing that made me sad," she says. "I'm a 26-year-old professional athlete. I ask him to be fair coach. I don't ask him to be a cheerleader. I want you to tell me when I jump good, and I want you to tell me when I jump bad` I think a lot of people don't understand that this is my job. This is what I do for a living, and I have to be good at it, and I have to get better at it. And we celebrated it. But at that moment, I wanted to know why I didn't make that bar."

When the Internet storm erupted, Stuczynski felt powerless, and a little hopeless. She says Suhr has received countless angry emails from people who think they're protecting her. Meanwhile, her family and her coach's family have heard comments about whether the coach went too far, and wondering why Stuczynski is putting up with a guy who couldn't even say congratulations.

But she, her coach and her parents went out to dinner after the competition and celebrated. "And people don't hear the things he says leading up to the meet, or the texts he sent me all week saying, We can do this, you know? That's what's so frustrating."

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=3548240

You rule, but I can't imagine the pain unintentional comedy factor of reading that blog every day.

Fixed. And he rarely blogs more than two or three times a week ...

Unlike most here, I actually don't dislike Sully. He's written some good stuff -- features, mostly, including a piece I honestly thought should have made BASW in 2005. (Told him that, too.)

But he deserves to be called on this flipflop.

Fixed. And he rarely blogs more than two or three times a week ...

Unlike most here, I actually don't dislike Sully. He's written some good stuff -- features, mostly, including a piece I honestly thought should have made BASW in 2005. (Told him that, too.)

But he deserves to be called on this flipflop.

I agree regarding his column. Not his blog. All blogs are painful to read.

I agree regarding his column. Not his blog. All blogs are painful to read.

There are a few exceptions -- Posnanski, for one. Overall, though, you may have a point. Blogs are best when they're serving up information, like (shameless plug) Tim Graham's AFC East page on ESPN, especially when he's linking to some of (another shameless plug) our man Chuck Pollock's fine work. ( :angry: , Tim. Haven't had a chance to ask him, but I hope you overloaded the OTH's server with that linkage.)

But when they're used as random-thought collectors for columnists, eh, not so much. Unless you're JoePo.

There are a few exceptions -- Posnanski, for one. Overall, though, you may have a point. Blogs are best when they're serving up information, like (shameless plug) Tim Graham's AFC East page on ESPN, especially when he's linking to some of (another shameless plug) our man Chuck Pollock's fine work. ( :angry: , Tim. Haven't had a chance to ask him, but I hope you overloaded the OTH's server with that linkage.)

But when they're used as random-thought collectors for columnists, eh, not so much. Unless you're JoePo.

My post was self-effacing, as my blog is mental masturbation at its finest. I'll check those blogs.

The only blog I regularly read is Rex Parker's NY Times crossword blog.

http://rexwordpuzzle.blogspot.com/