A few thoughts

Simon

Apologies in advance if this has been hashed over 100 times but I finally got to see some preseason action and had a couple thoughts carousing about.

> I'm more comfortable right now with the all-important DT rotation than I have been at any time in the last several years. Stroud hasn't shown much yet but he has flashed enough to look like a vet who is coasting through preseason just enough to get his feet wet and occasionally flipping the switch to prove to himself he can go when it counts. KyleW already looks quicker and more instinctive than he did last year. SpencerJ looks like he's going to be a legitimately disruptive irritant for opposing offenses. And while McCargo will probably never have the drive to be an NFL starter he might be effective in limited snaps when he doesn't have to sell out on every down.

They might not be the strength of this team but they don't look like the painfully glaring weakness they have been for several years now.

>I'm exceptionally happy with how sharply the offense is being conducted under Turk. It is a 1000% improvement from what we've endured for the last couple seasons. They're in and out of the huddle faster, they're getting to the line quicker with time enough to either attack or consider, guys are already more familiar with their roles and responsibilities and everybody is executing much crisper and with better discipline.

I'm not saying they're going to light up the world, but there is no doubt that this is already a much better coached unit than it was under Fairchild.

>We pick on the front office for putting so many assets into the secondary but I think it is going to address a particular weakness and pay off on the field. I've seen some concerned commentary re: the numbers opponents have put up in the passing game but it's worth considering that most of that came from one of the league's deadliest duos in Roethlisberger/Ward and also that most of those completions were hotly contested and required near perfect execution. It'll be interesting to see how much success opponents have game-planning attacks on our nickel and FS positions like they have the last few years. The addition of James and McKelvin as well as what looked like the continuing maturation of Whitner and Simpson bodes better for us on 3rd down.

>Real props to Trent Edwards on the work he's obviously put in during the off-season. He looks better both mentally and physically (did you see him pull away from James Harrison like Harrison was running in a gunnysack?), is making good decisions and getting the ball out right now(what a lightning release he has), and has really seemed to relish taking on a leadership role in an offense that was crying for it. I also can't say enough about the tremendous accuracy he is displaying so far. It is exactly what folks mean when they talk about putting the ball in the exact spot a receiver needs it to be able to make a play with it.

We all know there's going to be times when he struggles when opponents start game-planning him, but I am really thrilled with his progression to this point.

>A lot of people will benefit from improved QB play, but Edwards ability to put balls in spots where guys don't have to make adjustments could be the most beneficial to Robert Royal. His occasional dropsies usually seemed to come when he had to turn his body for a ball or adjust his speed or angle to an incoming pass. Edwards accuracy could serve to improve Royal's hands and make him a legitimately complete TE.

>Fred Jackson also looks better than I remember. He's running with more power and purpose than last year and right now is even showing better burst than Marshawn. If he was bigger and a better blocker he might even give Lynch some legitimate competition. I was a fan of the way Shaud Williams plays the game but Jackson is doing a nice job putting those lamentations to rest.

>Also some props to Kirk Chambers, who doesn't even look like the same species of human we saw last year. He is smoother, stronger and better prepared than we saw him at any point last season. Our depth at OT is still worrisome but at least we now have 1 other guy who doesn't look completely out of place on an NFL roster.

>And more props to BScott who I think is a great back-up to Whitner, a good veteran leader and an all-around ballplayer's ballplayer. Imo he's a lock to make this roster and was an exceptionally shrewd pickup by the front office.

Holy sheet. 8 paragraphs and I didn't moan about 1 single thing?! There's got to be something........ OK, Ellison looks bigger than the onion skin who got torn up last year but now he looks like he's having trouble getting to his drops because of the increased size. Our starters are OK but we don't have a single guy behind those 3 who belongs on an NFL field. It shouldn't be that hard to find a legitimate player (or even two) to round out our LB corps.

Apologies in advance if this has been hashed over 100 times but I finally got to see some preseason action and had a couple thoughts carousing about.

> I'm more comfortable right now with the all-important DT rotation than I have been at any time in the last several years. Stroud hasn't shown much yet but he has flashed enough to look like a vet who is coasting through preseason just enough to get his feet wet and occasionally flipping the switch to prove to himself he can go when it counts. KyleW already looks quicker and more instinctive than he did last year. SpencerJ looks like he's going to be a legitimately disruptive irritant for opposing offenses. And while McCargo will probably never have the drive to be an NFL starter he might be effective in limited snaps when he doesn't have to sell out on every down.

They might not be the strength of this team but they don't look like the painfully glaring weakness they have been for several years now.

>I'm exceptionally happy with how sharply the offense is being conducted under Turk. It is a 1000% improvement from what we've endured for the last couple seasons. They're in and out of the huddle faster, they're getting to the line quicker with time enough to either attack or consider, guys are already more familiar with their roles and responsibilities and everybody is executing much crisper and with better discipline.

I'm not saying they're going to light up the world, but there is no doubt that this is already a much better coached unit than it was under Fairchild.

>We pick on the front office for putting so many assets into the secondary but I think it is going to address a particular weakness and pay off on the field. I've seen some concerned commentary re: the numbers opponents have put up in the passing game but it's worth considering that most of that came from one of the league's deadliest duos in Roethlisberger/Ward and also that most of those completions were hotly contested and required near perfect execution. It'll be interesting to see how much success opponents have game-planning attacks on our nickel and FS positions like they have the last few years. The addition of James and McKelvin as well as what looked like the continuing maturation of Whitner and Simpson bodes better for us on 3rd down.

>Real props to Trent Edwards on the work he's obviously put in during the off-season. He looks better both mentally and physically (did you see him pull away from James Harrison like Harrison was running in a gunnysack?), is making good decisions and getting the ball out right now(what a lightning release he has), and has really seemed to relish taking on a leadership role in an offense that was crying for it. I also can't say enough about the tremendous accuracy he is displaying so far. It is exactly what folks mean when they talk about putting the ball in the exact spot a receiver needs it to be able to make a play with it.

We all know there's going to be times when he struggles when opponents start game-planning him, but I am really thrilled with his progression to this point.

>A lot of people will benefit from improved QB play but Edwards ability to put balls in spots where guys don't have to make adjustments could be the most beneficial to Robert Royal. His occasional dropsies usually seemed to come when he had to turn his body for a ball or adjust his speed or angle to an incoming pass. Edwards accuracy could serve to improve Royal's hands and make him a legitimately complete TE.

>Fred Jackson also looks better than I remember. He's running with more power and purpose than last year and right now is even showing better burst than Marshawn. If he was bigger and a better blocker he might even give Lynch some legitimate competition. I was a fan of the way Shaud Williams plays the game but Jackson is doing a nice job putting those lamentations to rest.

>Also some props to Kirk Chambers, who doesn't even look like the same species of human we saw last year. He is smoother, stronger and better prepared than we saw him at any point last season. Our depth at OT is still worrisome but at least we now have 1 other guy who doesn't look completely out of place on an NFL roster.

>And more props to BScott who I think is a great back-up to Whitner, a good veteran leader and an all-around ballplayer's ballplayer. Imo he's a lock to make this roster and was an exceptionally shrewd pickup by the front office.

Holy sheet. 8 paragraphs and I didn't moan about 1 single thing?! There's got to be something........ OK, Ellison looks bigger than the onion skin who got torn up last year but now he looks like he's having trouble getting to his drops because of the increased size. Our starters are OK but we don't have a single guy behind those 3 who belongs on an NFL field. It shouldn't be that hard to find a legitimate player (or even two) to round out our LB corps.

Thanks, Simon - an excellent and heartwarming read.

All of that was true in the Steeler game. The Redskin game not so much. I don't put much stock in the pre-season showing, good or bad.

However, Stroud looks like he can turn it on, which is a tremendous addition. Hardy looks like he can get in the endzone and get the safeties off other targets, including Evans. Marshawn looks like his confidence and vision is better as he hits the holes better and at full speed. The offense surely looks like it is designed better and to play to the players strengths, who knew there is such a thing as play action and screen and swing passes. The line, without Peters, worries me greatly but I have no doubt he will be starting opening day at LT. Just having Simpson, Poz, Stroud and Mitchell, along with the depth at CB, should make the defense 3x better. Stroud, to me, is the key to the season and he looks good.

>A lot of people will benefit from improved QB play, but Edwards ability to put balls in spots where guys don't have to make adjustments could be the most beneficial to Robert Royal. His occasional dropsies usually seemed to come when he had to turn his body for a ball or adjust his speed or angle to an incoming pass. Edwards accuracy could serve to improve Royal's hands and make him a legitimately complete TE.

What crap! YOu don't say a thing about the Pats, and how they will suck because of how they looked last night. How can anyone believe your crap analysis? And, where's your gossip about Peters? I can't believe you're a TE whore as well? If this is the crap that passes for tbd analysis, then I'm going to stop posting here...

You should stick to American Idol Simon....hehehe

Thanks, Simon - an excellent and heartwarming read.

It sure is nice to be able to point up some positives for the first time in a long while.

From the gutting in 2001, to the hopelessness of the doomedfromdayone Bledsoe years bleeding into the 1styearQB prayer, to the most recent tearitdowntobuilditup, this may be the first time this century I've come into a season with the hope that we might have a chance to win some ballgames.

All of that was true in the Steeler game. The Redskin game not so much. I don't put much stock in the pre-season showing, good or bad.

I don't put much stock in them either but there are usually some small indicators than give hints as to what to expect.

Haven't seen the Wash game but as a first outing I'd put 0 stock in it.

Marshawn looks like his confidence and vision is better as he hits the holes better and at full speed.

Actually I thought Marshawn missed a couple holes in the Stiller game but that's one of the things I wouldn't pay much attention to in a pre-season game.

What crap! YOu don't say a thing about the Pats, and how they will suck because of how they looked last night. How can anyone believe your crap analysis? And, where's your gossip about Peters? I can't believe you're a TE whore as well? If this is the crap that passes for tbd analysis, then I'm going to stop posting here...

I'm interested in hearing some responses to this one. <_<

Probably one of the more encouraging things I've seen so far this preseason is Marshawn doing an effective job at picking up the blitz. That's a key thing for this offense.

Probably one of the more encouraging things I've seen so far this preseason is Marshawn doing an effective job at picking up the blitz. That's a key thing for this offense.

Yeah he absolutely stoned somebody on one of Trent's completions last week.

The body has always been willing and I'm thinking/hoping the mind will catch up this year.

Dammit. Here I am, trying not to be my usually optimistic self about the Bills' chances this year, and one of the posters from whom I expect to read constructive criticism types an unabashedly optimistic post.

Thanks a heluva lot, Simon. :unsure:

:unsure::lol:;) Classic!

Good post Simon, I agree with most of your points.

The biggest changes so far this off-season are right where the weaknesses of the Bills from last year: the OC and the QB. The good news is that the Bills coaches have really helped Edwards progress (I wonder how much AVP has to do with this), and that, by luck, we finally have an OC who seems to know what he's doing.

I read an interesting tidbit online the other day - the tone and pace of the Bills training camp was just like New Englands. Perhaps Dicky J knows what he is doing after all.

Dammit. Here I am, trying not to be my usually optimistic self about the Bills' chances this year, and one of the posters from whom I expect to read constructive criticism types an unabashedly optimistic post.

Thanks a heluva lot, Simon. :unsure:

What can I say? I'm as big a homer as anybody when things are going good. :lol:

And right now it seems like for th first time in a very long while everybody (except Peters) is pulling in the same direction, the Bills have some legitimate players scattered throughout the roster and they have no "glaring" weaknesses. I've always liked Fewell and how he utilized what limited talent he had and I'm excited to see what he can do when he actually has a few bullets to work with. I'm very happy with how Turk has focused on crisp execution with the offense. I don't love Jauron yet but I respect him and am curious to see if he's willing to be a little more proactive on Sundays with a better roster to work with.

This team just feels so different than anything we've seen this century, it's hard not to be overoptimistic. There will certainly be times when our young OC and young QB are slapped around by veteran DC's but their focus on execution can bring them through a lot of those fires.

The biggest changes so far this off-season are right where the weaknesses of the Bills from last year: the OC and the QB.

I'd definitely add DT to that list as well. The additions of both Stroud and SpencerJ are the kind of moves that literally have the potential to make everybody else around them better. It's not the kind of thing that will likely show up on a stat sheet, but it could very well be the kind of thing that will show up on a scoreboard.

Mostly agree - the only point of contention, oddly enough, is with your one moan re: our linebackers

Our starters are OK but we don't have a single guy behind those 3 who belongs on an NFL field. It shouldn't be that hard to find a legitimate player (or even two) to round out our LB corps.

We haven't seen Crowell on the field yet, and DiGeorgio with most of last year as a starter is quality depth. I don't know if Ellison is even a starter once Angelo's knee allows him to participate fully. It's not til we get to the #6 LB that I get worried.