I keep hearing Chris Ellis looks good

JuanGuzman

What's he look like in game situations speed rusher/bull rusher, balanced? Hard hitter, gap control?

I haven't seen him in action because I'm lazy and generally just watch the skill players, but he if he could develop our D line rotation is looking pretty nice W/ Denney, Schobel, Kelsay, Stroud, McCargo, Williams, Johnson and now hopefully Ellis.

He's a pure pass rusher. I noticed it in college, he won't bowl a tackle in to the backfield, but if he gets around him or spins off, watch out. Not a huge hitter but has wicked upper body strength, kind of a drag down type of guy rather than a plow your facemask in to the ground kind of guy.

He has 4 tackles, 1 sack, and 1 FF.

That's not inspiring. Especially considering he was up against second teamers a lot.

My biggest fear with the guy is injury. I think there's a good chance he gets his shoulder hurt this season. It seems to have plagued him in college and he's going up against much stronger guys this year.

IIRC, one of those mentions was related to Ellis blowing the contain assignment on Dixon's 47-yard TD run that made it 24-21.

He got caught on a slant inside and dixon was already outside with the bootleg. not his fault that was the coaches call.

He got caught on a slant inside and dixon was already outside with the bootleg. not his fault that was the coaches call.

I saw that play and it did look like he was supposed to have outside contain. But then again so was Wendling and he took a very bad angle to Dixon.

I was criticized for starting a thread after the draft that related the writers of Pewter Report (The Bucs Mag) wanted the Bucs to draft Ellis. I enjoy reading that mag & respect their opinion, so I was happy the Bills drafted him. <_<

I remember that. Sorry, but it's not the first, nor will it be the last, time that somebody gets pounced on here for brining info from a non-traditional or non-"accepted" source. I do it on PPP all the time, but that is usually in response to people posting anything MoveOn.org and friends has to say, since any reasonable person can clearly see that they permanently departed from reality about 5 years ago.

This is different. This is bringing other fans/writers', who have no reason to lie, perspectives on a player we drafted. So far, Pewter Report, and you, appear to be dead on regarding Ellis. It's cool to see other's perspectives, besides Jerry Sullivan, WGR, etc. all the time. So don't be afraid to post anything else you find out about Ellis or anything else you think is relevant.

I had thought the knock on Ellis was: immaturity = more about himself and $ than the team, not realizing that being a great team player = way more money. I also thought that he had a slight problem with taking plays off due to endurance issues/laziness.

He did get burned on that naked bootleg, but that's an obvious rookie mistake, and can easily be corrected.

What I like, besides the sacks, etc., is this: there was a run play he blew up later in the 2nd quarter. He got off his block a little to the inside, enough to move the running back outside and away from the intended hole, while ignoring his blocker, thus delaying the RB and letting Corto fly up and nail him for no gain. That was a pure talent = (quickness + strength) play against a traditionally good running team, and this guy is only a rookie.

We can certainly use run-stuffing help on this defense. Especially in obvious run situations. If Ellis continues to show like this, we may have another steal on our hands. That would make this draft's 1-3 just as good as last years 1-3.

this guy is a baller. 6-4 lanky. plays with good leverage and courage to take on blockers at the POA. good speed and chases guys down. with more muscle next season, he will let us send kelsey to the bench -- thank god.

Agreed - needs to get stronger to be an every down guy - but might start getting time in passing situations sooner rather than later.