Extension soon for Evans?

Fingon

I'm sorry to be blunt, but you are simply wrong. Every player looks out for #1 first -- he has to. The average career in the NFL is how long? 4 years or so?

There are certainly situations in the NFL that reflect a player's character -- this is not one of them.

so evans fulfilling the terms of his contract should be viewed as selfish? yep, i'm the misguided one

when evans misses an OTA, a practice, and/or a game while under contract let me know.........until then, i'm continue to view him as a team player

You can some up the comparison quite easily

Evans - Has one year left before he can become a UFA and truly cash in. He just has to show up, play, stay healthy and he cashes in at the end, so no point holding out since it could risk him pushing off his UFA status if he holds out all year

Peters - Still has 3 years until he can become a UFA and cash in, so if he wants more money he needs to take drastic measures to force the team to give in to his demands and pay him more.

2 entirely different situations

Evans - Has one year left before he can become a UFA and truly cash in. He just has to show up, play, stay healthy and he cashes in at the end, so no point holding out since it could risk him pushing off his UFA status if he holds out all year

Peters - Still has 3 years until he can become a UFA and cash in, so if he wants more money he needs to take drastic measures to force the team to give in to his demands and pay him more.

100% correct. :unsure:

tell that to steven jackson

so evans fulfilling the terms of his contract should be viewed as selfish? yep, i'm the misguided one

when evans misses an OTA, a practice, and/or a game while under contract let me know.........until then, i'm continue to view him as a team player

You're not really this dense, are you? Who said Evans isn't a team player?

and C) Giving into a crybaby like Peters only invites every other player on the team to hold out. But who cares about that?

PTR

Yeah, that is a logical assumption, Peters is a crybaby. He certainly played like one didn't he?

Any player who goes from undrafted free agent, to surprise starter to pro bowler will, I guarantee, want a new contract. So far, in the last 10 years we have had that happen once so I can see the concern over starting a trend.

Whitner held out, McCargo held out, Schobel got a new deal way in advance of his then current contract. Peters would not be the first nor the last to want a new deal based on performance. I can only hope we are fortunate enough to have that problem with other players.

....and he has a point. He is vastly underpaid given his performance. He is looking for a merit raise. Now a guy who wants a bigger check who is playing poorly and who holds a press conference every other day to mouth off about it, that is a "crybaby".

If Peters is a crybaby, he is the quietest one I never heard. Bro hasn't made a peep nor has his agent. The only one to do any whining has been Brandon.

Yeah, that is a logical assumption, Peters is a crybaby. He certainly played like one didn't he?

Any player who goes from undrafted free agent, to surprise starter to pro bowler will, I guarantee, want a new contract. So far, in the last 10 years we have had that happen once so I can see the concern over starting a trend.

Whitner held out, McCargo held out, Schobel got a new deal way in advance of his then current contract. Peters would not be the first nor the last to want a new deal based on performance. I can only hope we are fortunate enough to have that problem with other players.

....and he has a point. He is vastly underpaid given his performance. He is looking for a merit raise. Now a guy who wants a bigger check who is playing poorly and who holds a press conference every other day to mouth off about it, that is a "crybaby".

If Peters is a crybaby, he is the quietest one I never heard. Bro hasn't made a peep nor has his agent. The only one to do any whining has been Brandon.

neither whitner or mccargo ever held out.......it is impossible for a player to hold out if they are not under contract

neither whitner or mccargo ever held out.......it is impossible for a player to hold out if they are not under contract

And yet everyone in football, excluding you, calls them "Hold outs". And btw, of course you can hold out without a contract. The very idea is holding yourself out, not play and not practice when you are expected to, until you get more money than offered. That's a hold out.

And yet everyone in football, excluding you, calls them "Hold outs". And btw, of course you can hold out without a contract. The very idea is holding yourself out, not play and not practice when you are expected to, until you get more money than offered. That's a hold out.

a holdout is when a player is under contract and refusing to honor that contract.......peters and jackson are two examples

an unsigned player cannot holdout..........the difference is important - an unsigned player cannot be fined by the club for missing OTA, mini-camps, training camps, or even games.........derek harvey and terrell suggs are two examples

a holdout is when a player is under contract and refusing to honor that contract.......peters and jackson are two examples

an unsigned player cannot holdout..........the difference is important - an unsigned player cannot be fined by the club for missing OTA, mini-camps, training camps, or even games.........derek harvey and terrell suggs are two examples

They are simply two different kinds of hold outs. But they are both hold outs. It's the term used. What exactly would you call it when a rookie doesn't report because he wants more money? Or there just isn't a term or word for it even though it has been happening for 50 years.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&cli...art=10&sa=N

They are simply two different kinds of hold outs. But they are both hold outs. It's the term used. What exactly would you call it when a rookie doesn't report because he wants more money? Or there just isn't a term or word for it even though it has been happening for 50 years.

the term is used all the time - unsigned

http://www.carrollcountytimes.com/articles...sports72208.txt

"As an unsigned franchise player, Suggs isn’t technically a holdout and has the right to skip camp without any financial penalties."

the term is used all the time - unsigned

http://www.carrollcountytimes.com/articles...sports72208.txt

"As an unsigned franchise player, Suggs isn’t technically a holdout and has the right to skip camp without any financial penalties."

I see. So when they ask Suggs if he is holding out for more money or a different contract, he says, "Bullschitt! I'm not holding out. I'm a team player, I would never hold out. I'm just not signing."

From the 2478 page Random House Dictionary of the English Language:

Hold out

1. an act or instance of holding out.

2. a person who delays signing a contract in hopes of gaining more favorable terms. The basketball star was a holdout until they offered more money.

3. a person who declines to participate, cooperate, agree, etc.

I see. So when they ask Suggs if he is holding out for more money or a different contract, he says, "Bullschitt! I'm not holding out. I'm a team player, I would never hold out. I'm just not signing."

From the 2478 page Random House Dictionary of the English Language:

Hold out

1. an act or instance of holding out.

2. a person who delays signing a contract in hopes of gaining more favorable terms. The basketball star was a holdout until they offered more money.

3. a person who declines to participate, cooperate, agree, etc.

we are talking about the NFL's definition of a holdout as per the terms of the CBA........as per the CBA, an unsigned player is not a holdout, as the article i posted clearly stated

we are talking about the NFL's definition of a holdout as per the terms of the CBA........as per the CBA, an unsigned player is not a holdout, as the article i posted clearly stated

Let us know when you are done fiddling with your angels and pinheads and other meaningless distinctions so we can have a meaningful discussion about the real reason Jason Peters doesn't have a new contract: the team doesn't want to give him one because they don't have to.

The Bills have stated flatly that Peters must honor the commitment he made 2 years ago, that "commitment" was to play at his current salary until 2010. As for renegotiating, all they have said is "never say never". With Evans, they have to give him a new deal, his contract is up this year. Its now or never. With Peters, they don't have to give him a new deal. Evans didn't need to hold out to get them to the table, the only option Peters has to get the team to the table is to hold out, so he is.

you just keep repeating the same schitt over and over. Why did the Bills give Schoebel a new deal? They didn't have to. He was under contract for 3 more years. They did because he exceeded expectations, he made the pro bowl, he was the best dl on the team, and other players on the line were making more than him. There was no gun to their head, but they did, because it was the right thing to do. The difference? Schoebel showed up and honored his contract. Nuff said.

Why is it people can't comprehend that?

Whitner and McCargo's "hold outs" (in quotes to hopefully satisfy d-wag) were for a short period of time, and they were not under contract yet with Buffalo as it was their rookie deals. And as Faking had said, Schoebel was given a deal after signing a newer deal and making the pro Bowl just like Peters wants, the only difference is that Schoebel did what the Bills wanted, showed up to camp and otehr team functions and initiated the negotiation conversations with the team. (I.e. he showed up and ask for a raise) And you are right, he won't be the first or the last player to do this. And theres nothing wrong with asking for a raise if you have outplayed your expectations of your last deal and are getting paid less then others on your team that you are better then. But the team giving in and just awarding him the contract because they are afraid of him not playing is not the way to resolve this. Sure as fans its easier to just say that they should do it, but it hurts the team more then it helps because it opens up a can of worms and will lead to other players to sit out if they don't get their way and call the FO's bluff. Peters best hand right now is to call the bills bluff. Show up like they asked and start practicing with the team. Go to Brandon and ask for a new deal, and if they refuse to re-negotiate right now, then threaten the hold out, because then it takes leverage away from the Bills who have the most leverage right now and he can say that atleast he did as they asked and they refused, and can use Schoebel as an example that they did it for Aaron, but not for him.

His agent hasn't made a peep? but I thought he has had discussions with Brandon letting him know exactly what Peters demands are and that the Bills are only giving excuses because they don't want to pay him?????