Extension soon for Evans?

Fingon

I think the Bills are making even more of an effort to resign Lee Evans given the Jason Peters situation. They have maintaned they are willing to re-negioate but only if he is in camp. If they re-sign Evans than it sends a loud and clear message to Peters that they will listen, but only if his a$$ gets into camp.

I think the Bills are making even more of an effort to resign Lee Evans given the Jason Peters situation. They have maintaned they are willing to re-negioate but only if he is in camp. If they re-sign Evans than it sends a loud and clear message to Peters that they will listen, but only if his a$$ gets into camp.

I think you make an excellent point. :devil:

Comparing these players is not easy. One player is willing to play this season to show his worth to the NFL in hopes of a big free agent payday. One player proved his worth last year as an all-pro, all-NFL selection. The Bills' "brain trust" has decided that the one most needed and worthy to be paid is Evans. Though very good, Evans is not elite at his position in the league.

Comparing these players is not easy. One player is willing to play this season to show his worth to the NFL in hopes of a big free agent payday. One player proved his worth last year as an all-pro, all-NFL selection. The Bills' "brain trust" has decided that the one most needed and worthy to be paid is Evans. Though very good, Evans is not elite at his position in the league.

i think their decision has more to do with years remaining on the current contracts, than it does who they think is "worthy" talent.

No such message at all. Evans was signed as a first round draft pick so he has been raking it in for his entire time in the league. Peters was a nobody with a nothing contract that was made better two years ago but still isn't up to first round coin. Further, this is Evans' last year, he is a FA next year, Peters has 3 years left and that is a huge, huge difference.

The Bills have stated flatly that Peters must honor the commitment he made 2 years ago, that "commitment" was to play at his current salary until 2010. As for renegotiating, all they have said is "never say never". With Evans, they have to give him a new deal, his contract is up this year. Its now or never. With Peters, they don't have to give him a new deal. Evans didn't need to hold out to get them to the table, the only option Peters has to get the team to the table is to hold out, so he is.

If Lee Evans signs I think Parker will advise his client to get to camp. he will see his commission and Peters will get his new deal. I hope....

If the team was willing to give him a new deal, why didn't they do it in January?, in February?, in March?, in April?, in May?, in June?, in July?, today?, yesterday?

The easy answer here is that the reason they haven't renegotiated Peters' contract is because A) they don't want to,

and B) they don't have to.

If the team was willing to give him a new deal, why didn't they do it in January?, in February?, in March?, in April?, in May?, in June?, in July?, today?, yesterday?

The easy answer here is that the reason they haven't renegotiated Peters' contract is because A) they don't want to,

Actually the easy answer is that Evans wants a little more and the team wants a little less and they are getting closer to the middle. If they get close enough, he will sign. If they don't he won't. But Evans is no threat to sit out at all. It's not as if he is doing this because he is such a great guy and Peters is a louse (although I do believe Evans is a good guy). He needs to put up numbers if he is going to hit the FA market next year.

and C) Giving into a crybaby like Peters only invites every other player on the team to hold out. But who cares about that?

PTR

Actually the easy answer is that Evans wants a little more and the team wants a little less and they are getting closer to the middle. If they get close enough, he will sign. If they don't he won't. But Evans isn't no threat to sit out at all. It's not as if he is doing this because he is such a great guy and Peters is a louse (although I do believe Evans is a good guy). He needs to put up numbers if he is going to hit the FA market next year.

This is 100% correct, and a great post.

The Evans situation more resembles that of Clements than it Peters. Once Nate hit the last year of his contract, he was not going to sign another one in Buffalo. I can't prove this, but things I heard him say on Sirius led me to this conclusion. Then, Marv franchised him and made the infamous "promise" not to do it again.

Like Nate, Evans was a first round pick who has been making money his entire career. Peters and Parker view this as a situation in which JP has a lot of catching up to do, and it is hard to not see their point.

The whole thing sucks imo. Ralph has the money to pay both of these young stars and build a winner. It's like we are <_< ing hexed. :worthy:

and C) Giving into a crybaby like Peters only invites every other player on the team to hold out. But who cares about that?

PTR

Answer me this: What if Peters came into camp and they gave him a huge contract, what he is asking for. Isn't that setting a bad precedent for the players? Come in and we'll give you what you want? If this is such a precedent setting issue, aren't players that are in camp going to go right to management and say I want a huge raise, I have been here! Isn't lee Evans going to say, I want to be paid in the top 10 in the league. Isn't Marcus Stroud going to say, I have three years left, too. I'm here. I want to be paid in the top five at my position. How come you gave it to him?! Aren't they going to be pissed when the Bills turn them down and say, "Yeah, you're in camp but you don't deserve a big raise like him?

The precedent thing is foolish, IMO. The players and agents and teams all know the way things work. It has little to do with him not being in camp. It's about big money.

Put it the other way, what if Parker said, publicly, that Peters is willing to sign for 10 years at 50 million. 5 mil a year. The Bills are going to turn him down right? They are going to say Get your ass in camp, fella, and then we'll talk. Sure they would. The Bills would meet him in (the Russian) Georgia or downtown Sadr City to sign the contract.

This is a worth-driven league. Contracts mean nothing to the owners. They can and do cut a player and all of the back loaded money in contracts. Owners and players know this. League wide, this has to be the most glaring case of a player being asked to continue a contract that pays him less than half the going rate for his worth. If people think he is only worth $3.5 mill, why don't we trade him for some other teams' $3.5 mill tackle and move on.

Actually the easy answer is that Evans wants a little more and the team wants a little less and they are getting closer to the middle. If they get close enough, he will sign. If they don't he won't. But Evans is no threat to sit out at all. It's not as if he is doing this because he is such a great guy and Peters is a louse (although I do believe Evans is a good guy). He needs to put up numbers if he is going to hit the FA market next year.

steven jackson is in the exact same situation evans is but he's taking an entirely different route........then again, look who his agent is

i think evans is being wise and handling things properly - because he is a good guy and a team guy.........it's unfortunate that peters can't say the same

All of this talk about Evans being the "good guy" for reporting to camp, and Peters the "bad guy" for holding out, is really pretty ridiculous and indicative of a significant lack of understanding of the business of football. Honestly, I think Evans and Peters are both "good" guys -- what's happening right now is driven purely by the following factors:

-- contract status

-- player needs

-- team needs

-- advice from agents

Lets look at these one at a time.

Contract status -- Evans is in the last year and faces the prospect of FA. Peters has three years remaining.

Player needs -- Evans is not "underpaid," however if an extension is not reached he needs to have a productive year in order to cash in. It is in Evans' interest to develop chemistry with Edwards and know the offense hands down going into the season. Peters is arguably underpaid and has received much (deserved) media attention at the premiere position on the OL. With three years remaining on his deal, however, he has no leverage to negotiate a pay raise unless the Bills are willing to talk.

Team needs -- Evans' contract situation creates a sense of urgency for the Bills. They know last year was a down one, statistically, but they also know what they have and don't want Lee to hit FA, thus it is in the team's interest to try to reach a deal now. Peters' situation creates no similar sense of urgency. Perhaps the Bills are willing to discuss a new deal and perhaps they are not, but with three years remaining on Peters' contract the team knows they hold all the cards and aren't going to voluntarily cave in to his demands. Of course they are concerned about going into a regular season without their up-and-coming star at LT, but they certainly also realize "money is undefeated in the NFL" and believe there's no way Peters sits out the season.

Advice from agents -- Evans' agent is working with the Bills and obviously advised his client to report. Doing so serves Evans' interests, and a holdout would not improve Evans' leverage. Peters' agent has advised Peters to hold out, apparently believing that is the ONLY way to let the Bills know he is "serious" about wanting a new deal. Reasonable minds may differ regarding this strategy, and I'm on record with an opinion that I believe it's an unprofessional one.

The bottom line, though, is that being a "good guy" or "team guy" have absolutely nothing to do with Evans' and Peters' respective situations.

All of this talk about Evans being the "good guy" for reporting to camp, and Peters the "bad guy" for holding out, is really pretty ridiculous and indicative of a significant lack of understanding of the business of football. Honestly, I think Evans and Peters are both "good" guys -- what's happening right now is driven purely by the following factors:

-- contract status

-- player needs

-- team needs

-- advice from agents

Lets look at these one at a time.

Contract status -- Evans is in the last year and faces the prospect of FA. Peters has three years remaining.

Player needs -- Evans is not "underpaid," however if an extension is not reached he needs to have a productive year in order to cash in. It is in Evans' interest to develop chemistry with Edwards and know the offense hands down going into the season. Peters is arguably underpaid and has received much (deserved) media attention at the premiere position on the OL. With three years remaining on his deal, however, he has no leverage to negotiate a pay raise unless the Bills are willing to talk.

Team needs -- Evans' contract situation creates a sense of urgency for the Bills. They know last year was a down one, statistically, but they also know what they have and don't want Lee to hit FA, thus it is in the team's interest to try to reach a deal now. Peters' situation creates no similar sense of urgency. Perhaps the Bills are willing to discuss a new deal and perhaps they are not, but with three years remaining on Peters' contract the team knows they hold all the cards and aren't going to voluntarily cave in to his demands. Of course they are concerned about going into a regular season without their up-and-coming star at LT, but they certainly also realize "money is undefeated in the NFL" and believe there's no way Peters sits out the season.

Advice from agents -- Evans' agent is working with the Bills and obviously advised his client to report. Doing so serves Evans' interests, and a holdout would not improve Evans' leverage. Peters' agent has advised Peters to hold out, apparently believing that is the ONLY way to let the Bills know he is "serious" about wanting a new deal. Reasonable minds may differ regarding this strategy, and I'm on record with an opinion that I believe it's an unprofessional one.

The bottom line, though, is that being a "good guy" or "team guy" have absolutely nothing to do with Evans' and Peters' respective situations.

evans does not need a huge year to make a ton of money - he is going to get paid a ton regardless, barring a major injury.......he could put up the same numbers as last season and he would still be the top wideout on the market given his age and ability........he is going to cash in bigtime

the fact remains that unlike steven jackson (who is also in the last year in his contract) evans is in camp and working with his teammates..........i don't think he is there for selfish reasons (i.e. to ready himself for a big season just so he can get paid).......i think he is there because he is a team player who wants to win some ballgames for a change

peters, on the other hand, is under contract and refusing to live up to his end of the agreement........he is not with his teammates and is not preparing himself for the season..........the fact that he is home signifies that he is not a team player

this discussion has got ridiculously complicated over time, but the truth really isn't that hard to find........some guys put the team first, other guys put themselves first........some guys honor their word, some guys don't........it really isn't anything more then that, and it truly reveals a lot about their character (or lack there of)

evans does not need a huge year to make a ton of money - he is going to get paid a ton regardless, barring a major injury.......he could put up the same numbers as last season and he would still be the top wideout on the market given his age and ability........he is going to cash in bigtime

the fact remains that unlike steven jackson (who is also in the last year in his contract) evans is in camp and working with his teammates..........i don't think he is there for selfish reasons (i.e. to ready himself for a big season just so he can get paid).......i think he is there because he is a team player who wants to win some ballgames for a change

peters, on the other hand, is under contract and refusing to live up to his end of the agreement........he is not with his teammates and is not preparing himself for the season..........the fact that he is home signifies that he is not a team player

this discussion has got ridiculously complicated over time, but the truth really isn't that hard to find........some guys put the team first, other guys put themselves first........some guys honor their word, some guys don't........it really isn't anything more then that, and it truly reveals a lot about their character (or lack there of)

I'm sorry to be blunt, but you are simply wrong. Every player looks out for #1 first -- he has to. The average career in the NFL is how long? 4 years or so?

There are certainly situations in the NFL that reflect a player's character -- this is not one of them.

Evans was just on WGR. Now, take what he said with a grain of salt - he's not going to tip his hand with regards to negotiations - but a quick summary:

- Stated both sides have some ground to make-up.

- That said, he is very optimistic something gets done, and gets done soon.

- Isn't interested in this dragging into the season and becoming a distraction.

The impression he gave was a positive one. Sounds like there may be some space between the two sides, but he's obviously optimistic something is going to be completed and in the (near?) future. I'm sure the Bills have made it clear to him they want him here long term, and that's coming through in the way he's discussing the negotiations.