How Many Drafted Players Make the 2008 Bills Roster

San-O

Understanding the draft is not an exact science, and also understanding it appears the Bills MAY have drafted later rounds

for Special Teams/Kicking Game spots, how many drafted players will actually make the final cut?

I find it interesting to keep an eye on the roster for age and experience of the team. Also, in general, the more rookies you

start, the weaker your roster probably is. Parcells said once, for every rookie you start you lose one game. Maybe, maybe not.

Not going to argue with Parcells, although he may have been saying that for effect, and maybe the number of starting rookies

does have a general negative impact on overall success. Marv also hated starting rookies as I recall, and the only one he started was

Ruben Brown.

Let's start with the givens, and break it down from there.

1. McKelvin will obviously make the roster and likely start perhaps before the bye.

2. Hardy will obviously make the roster and likely start: The sooner the better IMHO.

3. Ellis will obviously make the roster, although would be a real surprise to start given the $ Kelsay is getting.

4. Corner will make the roster: someone in front of him may go, or they may keep 6 CBs? Can't cut a 4th round pick.

5. Fine will make the roster given the weak TE situation, and again a 4th round pick.

6. Bowen, gone for the season already, IR. Not sure how to count that one.

That's five (5) 2008 draftees. I can easily see that.

Flame away!

Round Pick Overall Pos. Player College

1 11 11 CB Leodis McKelvin Troy

2 10 41 WR James Hardy Indiana

3 9 72 DE Chris Ellis Virginia Tech

4 15 114 CB Reggie Corner Akron

4 33* 132 TE Derek Fine Kansas

5 12 147 OLB Alvin Bowen Iowa St.

6 13 179 RB Xavier Omon Northwest Missouri State

7 12 219 OT Demetrius Bell Northwestern State

7 17** 224 WR Steve Johnson Kentucky

7 44* 251 CB Kennard Cox Pittsburgh

P.S. I couldn't believe how good Edwards looked last night. That second TD to Royal was beautiful, IMHO. (NOT a JP vs TE THREAD!)

P.P.S. Almost forgot, if they do keep 5 and start 2, this would be a very tough team to make next year for day 2 draftees. I hope.

Understanding the draft is not an exact science, and also understanding it appears the Bills MAY have drafted later rounds

for Special Teams/Kicking Game spots, how many drafted players will actually make the final cut?

I find it interesting to keep an eye on the roster for age and experience of the team. Also, in general, the more rookies you

start, the weaker your roster probably is. Parcells said once, for every rookie you start you lose one game. Maybe, maybe not.

Not going to argue with Parcells, although he may have been saying that for effect, and maybe the number of starting rookies

does have a general negative impact on overall success. Marv also hated starting rookies as I recall, and the only one he started was

Ruben Brown.

Let's start with the givens, and break it down from there.

1. McKelvin will obviously make the roster and likely start perhaps before the bye.

2. Hardy will obviously make the roster and likely start: The sooner the better IMHO.

3. Ellis will obviously make the roster, although would be a real surprise to start given the $ Kelsay is getting.

4. Corner will make the roster: someone in front of him may go, or they may keep 6 CBs? Can't cut a 4th round pick.

5. Fine will make the roster given the weak TE situation, and again a 4th round pick.

6. Bowen, gone for the season already, IR. Not sure how to count that one.

That's five (5) 2008 draftees. I can easily see that.

Flame away!

Round Pick Overall Pos. Player College

1 11 11 CB Leodis McKelvin Troy

2 10 41 WR James Hardy Indiana

3 9 72 DE Chris Ellis Virginia Tech

4 15 114 CB Reggie Corner Akron

4 33* 132 TE Derek Fine Kansas

5 12 147 OLB Alvin Bowen Iowa St.

6 13 179 RB Xavier Omon Northwest Missouri State

7 12 219 OT Demetrius Bell Northwestern State

7 17** 224 WR Steve Johnson Kentucky

7 44* 251 CB Kennard Cox Pittsburgh

P.S. I couldn't believe how good Edwards looked last night. That second TD to Royal was beautiful, IMHO. (NOT a JP vs TE THREAD!)

P.P.S. Almost forgot, if they do keep 5 and start 2, this would be a very tough team to make next year for day 2 draftees. I hope.

Steve Johnson might make the team but if not he's a definite PS player. He seems like he's a guy who could be a good ST player.

bowen is definitely out, but i can see bell and cox on the P.S.

Agreed.

i say the only one that gets cut is Cox, Bowen doesnt count against the roster and why would we cut him when we havent seen anything from him because he is hurt. I believe Omon will beat out Wright for the 3rd string running back. Bell has a shot with Murphy's injury and Johnson could end up being the steal of the whole draft. The numbers are just against Cox.

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i say the only one that gets cut is Cox, Bowen doesnt count against the roster and why would we cut him when we havent seen anything from him because he is hurt. I believe Omon will beat out Wright for the 3rd string running back. Bell has a shot with Murphy's injury and Johnson could end up being the steal of the whole draft. The numbers are just against Cox.

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't think they can cut Bowen without giving him an injury settlement.

1 CB Leodis McKelvin - #3 CB, ST

2 WR James Hardy - #2 WR

3 DE Chris Ellis - #4 DE

4 CB Reggie Corner - ST

4 TE Derek Fine - #3 TE, ST, #2 or 3 FB

5 OLB Alvin Bowen - IR

6 RB Xavier Omon - #3 or #4 RB

7 OT Demetrius Bell - PS

7 WR Steve Johnson - ST

7 CB Kennard Cox - PS

UFA OL Felton - Backup OL

UFA WR Jason Jones - PS

UFA OLB Buggs - PS

UFA LB Banks - PS

UFA DT McCray - PS

I actually think and hope Marcus Buggs might make the team and i wouldnt be surprised if Jonathan Banks LB Iowa State makes it

as PS or actual 53 man roster?

I don't see LB Banks beating "Its not delivery" Digiorgio...Im not sure about OLB Buggs against Spragan and Cos...I think they both make PS