Satellite Box/Directv/DVRs etc/Technical Question

I've got a friend here in Atlanta who comes over to watch Bills games on my NFL ticket.

He's got Directv already. Cancelled his ticket since it's gotten expensive and he comes to my crib anyway.

I'll be in Buffalo for the opener.

Anyone know if I can give him my DVR to use? Any problem just hooking it up to his DTV cables/dish?

Not positive, but I'm pretty sure that would be a problem. Your specific packages are dialed into your home/place of dish. I did bring an old DVR with me from Jax and all shows I saved on it are still there for viewing but it won't draw anything new.

We have a couple folks here who work for DTV. Hopefully they'll 'stop by'.

Programming is tied to the receiver ID and access card ID. If you give your buddy your receiver with access card inserted, I don't see why it wouldn't work. The dish has absolutely nothing to do with it.

Not positive, but I'm pretty sure that would be a problem. Your specific packages are dialed into your home/place of dish. I did bring an old DVR with me from Jax and all shows I saved on it are still there for viewing but it won't draw anything new.

We have a couple folks here who work for DTV. Hopefully they'll 'stop by'.

This is what I understand also.

But you may want to make sure he does not plug it into his phone jack. I believe they use the phone line to send programming changes. I'm not sure but there could be a possibility of your card getting "flashed". So to be safe tell him not to plug it into the phone jack.

eball is correct. My brother and I swap receivers all the time. He is in Buffalo and I am in Philly.
Questions if you don't mind:

I'm moving soon and the area I am going to does not have any locals on the SAT and 2 of the 3 nets don't even have OTA HD. Been thinking about having my brother in Texas sign up and transplanting his dish and receiver.

Did you do this to get around blackout rules and if so did you need to plug the units into a landline? (have heard that they don't really check and wondering if it is true).

If you didn't plug the units into a landline was there another receiver at the orig location that would have been there to pick up the auth phone call?

Thanks.

BTW where is Fez, he should be all over this post.

I've got a friend here in Atlanta who comes over to watch Bills games on my NFL ticket.

He's got Directv already. Cancelled his ticket since it's gotten expensive and he comes to my crib anyway.

I'll be in Buffalo for the opener.

Anyone know if I can give him my DVR to use? Any problem just hooking it up to his DTV cables/dish?

Unless you have completely different units, you should just be able to give him your access card.

But you can't test it out for a few more weeks when they activate the channels

This is what I understand also.

But you may want to make sure he does not plug it into his phone jack. I believe they use the phone line to send programming changes. I'm not sure but there could be a possibility of your card getting "flashed". So to be safe tell him not to plug it into the phone jack.

My understanding is that the phone connection is outgoing only. It is used to "upload" PPV purchases so you are appropriately charged.

Unless you have completely different units, you should just be able to give him your access card.

But you can't test it out for a few more weeks when they activate the channels

I don't think that is accurate. The receiver ID and access card ID are tied together.

Jesus, I'm starting to sound like a DirecTV geek. :ph34r:

So in case of a local blackout, you guys are both covered?

Correct. I have 2 receivers. If I give him one of mine, he has the Sunday Ticket based in Philly. He will get all Bills game whether televised locally or not. For Hockey, I get his receiver which shows all Sabre games on MSG and I do not need Center Ice package.

I'm moving soon and the area I am going to does not have any locals on the SAT and 2 of the 3 nets don't even have OTA HD. Been thinking about having my brother in Texas sign up and transplanting his dish and receiver.

Did you do this to get around blackout rules and if so did you need to plug the units into a landline? (have heard that they don't really check and wondering if it is true).

If you didn't plug the units into a landline was there another receiver at the orig location that would have been there to pick up the auth phone call?

Thanks.

Yes, it does get around blackout rules and I do not plug a landline in to my receiver. Never did it and see no reason to. If I need PPV , I will order online or just call but I rarely or ever use PPV. eball is correct again. I think the receiver and card are matched so both have to be moved.

FAQ Access Card.

You have received a conditional access card (referred to as the Access Card) and a License Agreement governing your use of the Access Card while you are receiving our Service. Access Cards are nontransferable and are the exclusive property of DIRECTV. If you tell us that the original Access Card was lost, damaged, defective or stolen, we will replace it, as long as there is no evidence of unauthorized tampering with or modification of the Access Card and your account is in good standing.

It does not say if your card is damaged they will send you a new box.

Thanks.

You will not receive his locals unless you move near him. The locals are done on a spot beam, covering a very small area.

FAQ Access Card.

You have received a conditional access card (referred to as the Access Card) and a License Agreement governing your use of the Access Card while you are receiving our Service. Access Cards are nontransferable and are the exclusive property of DIRECTV. If you tell us that the original Access Card was lost, damaged, defective or stolen, we will replace it, as long as there is no evidence of unauthorized tampering with or modification of the Access Card and your account is in good standing.

It does not say if your card is damaged they will send you a new box.

No, but I think they will link it to your receiver (s) when they send the card to you.

No, but I think they will link it to your receiver (s) when they send the card to you.

Correct. I have five DTV receivers in my house. I can't switch the cards between them, because they're all specifically linked together.