Who was that big DE Buffalo signed 2 years ago?

PIZ

That you are bitter? yes, I get the picture.  What exactly is wrong with this?  It's not like he is breaking the bank here.

77105[/snapback]

Exactly. I have no problem with bringing in formerly productive players in the hopes (even prayers) that modern medicaL science can rehab them to something approximating their former play.

Its a long road back for these players like a Garrison Hearst, but when science, luck and hard work form a perfect storm which allows them to return to something like their former glory there are huge benefits for a team.

The closest we have come to making this work is actually a injured great college player McGahee trying to pull a Thurman Thomas like comeback. Too early to declare victory in this particular effort, but certainly after last weekend so far so good.

The key for the GM is to sign these players to relatively cheap contracts so your risk is manageable and to have the cojones to let them go when they don't play up to snuff. TD has yet to catch lightning in a bottle with an injured former star (Jones type) but he has been pretty good about letting them go.

There is another type mentioned in DeeRay's post. There is the former star who is getting older. Again TD has been appropriately mercenary of late with former players like Glidon. The failures of this type under TD are clear ones under the GW reign and neither Jenkins nor Robinson should have been signed. On the other hand, the signing of Sam Adams (and to a contract very favorable to the Bills) was a great one.

However, I have no problem with the investments in the Jones, McKenzie, Farris type as they take up camp fodder positions for manageable investments and many of them ad some good experience for the rookies in camp.