Michael Phelps

The kid is sick, just sick. Another World Record. This kid needs to be mentioned with the greatest athletes EVER.

Did you see the quick special segment they had about him?

He eats between 8,000 and 10,000 calories a day.

He swims 5 hours a day.

He literally, eats, swims and sleeps, and that's it.

He swims 5 hours a day.

Think about the type of metabolism you'd have to have to digest 8,000 or even 10,000 calories a day. The guy is a freak.

Think about the type of metabolism you'd have to have to digest 8,000 or even 10,000 calories a day. The guy is a freak.

When I was training for 10k's, college cross country and decathlons, I had intake close to 6000/day, but yeah the metabolism at that level is redonkulous. and yeah he is a freak of nature, i mean light years beyond any other athlete in his sport. that said his split and Lezak's split in the relay were unreal, just sick

What's crazy is that everyone else in the pool is basically racing each other pretty close, and Phelps is a body length in front of all of them, racing his own green line.

I still fail to see how the US "upset" the French squad in that medley when we have a guy who can swim a second or more faster than everyone else.

What's crazy is that everyone else in the pool is basically racing each other pretty close, and Phelps is a body length in front of all of them, racing his own green line.

I still fail to see how the US "upset" the French squad in that medley when we have a guy who can swim a second or more faster than everyone else.

From what the announcers and experts were saying, Phelps was actually the weakest link on that team.

The kid is sick, just sick. Another World Record. This kid needs to be mentioned with the greatest athletes EVER.

My wife mentioned that the pool is deeper than usual, and the lane dividers are improved to reduce turbulence - so new records were expected.

Not taking anything away from Phelps - he's phenomenal.

From what the announcers and experts were saying, Phelps was actually the weakest link on that team.

If they were saying that I doubt the US coaches would agree. Phelps swam the 1st leg of the race which is typically where the 2nd strongest swimmer races.

He swims 5 hours a day.

My best friend is scheduled to swim the English Channel in September, which is ~21 miles in 63-degree water. Swims about 4 hours/day after 8 hrs. at work and has been trying to put on body fat b/c people typically lose 15-20 pounds during the swim. About twice the number of people have climbed Mt. Everest than have officially successfully swum the Channel.

If they were saying that I doubt the US coaches would agree. Phelps swam the 1st leg of the race which is typically where the 2nd strongest swimmer races.

No way was Phelps the weakest link. The third guy, the only holdover from the qualifying team, Jones, lost a lot of ground that the anchor had to make up.

No way was Phelps the weakest link. The third guy, the only holdover from the qualifying team, Jones, lost a lot of ground that the anchor had to make up.

In an interview after the race with Gary Hall Jr., that's exactly what he said.

But I'm sure Gary doesn't know anything about swimming and is just jealous that he's not on the team this year.

My best friend is scheduled to swim the English Channel in September, which is ~21 miles in 63-degree water. Swims about 4 hours/day after 8 hrs. at work and has been trying to put on body fat b/c people typically lose 15-20 pounds during the swim. About twice the number of people have climbed Mt. Everest than have officially successfully swum the Channel.

He'll need a Sherpa to help him navigate the rough stretches. Flipper is the best there is, tell your friend to ask for him.

Oh, and if Gary Hall can't be believed:

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/summer08/col...&id=3524709

The relays are only 25 percent in Phelps' control -- he will have to rely on his three teammates to close the deal. That's especially true in the 400 free relay, where Phelps is not individually dominant as a 100 freestyler and where the U.S. should get a fight from the French.

Frenchman Alain Bernard has posted the fastest 100-meter free time in the world this year (47.5 seconds), and France has four of the top 18 swimmers worldwide in that event this year. The U.S. has four of the top eight (including Phelps at No. 5, based on a prelim time he swam in Omaha to assure his spot on the relay).

Just because he's the arguably the best swimmer in the world, doesn't mean he's the best at every event.

To make it fair and equal, shouldn't all the swimmers have to wear the same swimming gear, or swim nude to remove the technology factor? Likewise, the runners should all wear the same brand of shoe, and the pole vaulters should all use the same pole, just hand it to the next person. That way you'd get a real measure of who's better based on skill.

Oh, and if Gary Hall can't be believed:

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/summer08/col...&id=3524709

Just because he's the arguably the best swimmer in the world, doesn't mean he's the best at every event.

If Phelps being #5 in the world in the 100 free makes him the US's weakest leg of the relay, wouldn't they have said the US has 4 of the top 5 times, not 4 of the top 8?