Chinese Love

Joe Miner

My grandfather always taught me not to match wits with unarmed people.... But against my better judgment, I'll ask again for a straight answer.

What construes the "negative" that you'd like to be expressed about China?

I'd like some more discussion about all the people who were kicked out of their homes against their will and not fully compensated so the Olympic venue could be built where it was. Or the reformers who were imprisoned or detained so they wouldn't protest during the Olympics. Or the fact that Tiananman Square was put off limits to everyone so there would be no public displays of protest. Or the restrictions on internet access that the Chinese imposed on even the foreign journalists. Let's see the real China, not the happy face farce that is being promoted to make people think everything is great in China. I wish one of the medal winners would hold up a Free Tibet banner while on the platform.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like some more discussion about all the people who were kicked out of their homes against their will and not fully compensated so the Olympic venue could be built where it was.

you mean the former residents of the projects that were destroyed in Atlanta in 1995 to get ready for the '96 games?

I have no problem with it... Just as long as they were compensated or helped out in some way when they were displaced.

they were supposed to be and, well... most of them were...

i dont have a problem with it either. but lets not sit here and act all righteous like the US has never done anything wrong or unjust.

yes, china has a history of some "bad behavior" (to say the least), but hey, lets see you try to keep a country together for a few thousand years. we're not even at 250. sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do :huh:

During the men's basketball game yesterday against China, one Chinese player dunked a rebound over Carmello Anthony and the announcer (Doug Collins I think) said something to the affect of "Well maybe that's what he needs to get him fired up and get him going" referring to the Chinese player, not Anthony, as if he was rooting for what I thought was supposed to be "our" opponent.

First, they are the host country, so they always get and deserve extra coverage. Second, the player Collins was talking about is Yi Jianlian. I heard the telecast and it was clear to me (an NBA fan) that he was talking about those few plays lighting a fire under Jianlian as a player in general. He's been a disappointment in the NBA. Talented but maybe not motivated or driven. Collins was saying that he needed to show more aggressiveness in the NBA and that dunk was a good sign for him.

Also, Collins was vamping pretty hard at that point with the US up 39 points. WTF else is the guy going to talk about?

Holy SHIIT!!!

As I've tried to express several times:

I AM NOT CALLING FOR CHINA TO BE PORTRAYED IN A NEGATIVE LIGHT AT ALL. AT THE SAME TIME, I DON'T SEE THE NEED TO CONSTANTLY KISS THEIR ASS.

NOT WANTING TO KISS THEIR ASS IS NOT THE SAME AS WANTING THE ANNOUNCERS TO SPEAK NEGATIVELY ABOUT THEM.

THERE IS A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN ACKNOWLEDGING THAT OTHER COUNTRIES HAVE GOOD ATHLETES AND GOOD TEAMS, AND OPENLY ROOTING FOR THEM, ESPECIALLY WHEN WE (THE U.S.) ARE PLAYING AGAINST THEM.

I AM NOT BRINGING ANYTHING POLITICAL ABOUT CHINA INTO THIS THREAD. THAT'S WHY I DIDN'T START THIS IN THE PPP SECTION. YOU ARE THE ONLY ONE BRINGING THIS CRAP UP.

Speak up please. No one will hear you unless you shout over them.

I do wonder, however, if you happened to notice the 423 instances of Breen and Collins getting on their knees and sucking the balls of the Redeem Team once it got past 29-29.

THERE IS A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN ACKNOWLEDGING THAT OTHER COUNTRIES HAVE GOOD ATHLETES AND GOOD TEAMS, AND OPENLY ROOTING FOR THEM, ESPECIALLY WHEN WE (THE U.S.) ARE PLAYING AGAINST THEM.

You'd rather the announcers wave an American flag when "we" are playing someone? Thanks, but no. Homer broadcasters suck no matter what event they're calling or which side they're "rooting" for.

Collins is one of the best in the business. And you know that he played for the U.S. in Munich, and his son is a scout/practice assistant with the current team, right?

I see nothing wrong with the statements listed here: http://www.netsdaily.com/blog/?p=532

You'd rather the announcers wave an American flag when "we" are playing someone? Thanks, but no. Homer broadcasters suck no matter what event they're calling or which side they're "rooting" for.

Collins is one of the best in the business. And you know that he played for the U.S. in Munich, and his son is a scout/practice assistant with the current team, right?

I see nothing wrong with the statements listed here: http://www.netsdaily.com/blog/?p=532

I don't see anything wrong with those statements either. I'm talking about his comments in the game.

On the play I was talking about, I would actually have rather heard him criticize the US player for not blocking out or going up strong for the rebound, instead of hoping that this was the play the Chinese player needed to get fired up.

I didn't say I wanted them to be complete USA homers, gushing with nothing but love for us and never seeing our faults, but why would he be rooting for the Chinese player to outplay us?

As I said, acknowledging that Tom Brady made a good play and is a good player isn't the same as wanting him to get fired up in a game, especially a game against the Bills.

There's a difference between being a homer and actually wanting your country to win.

On the play I was talking about, I would actually have rather heard him criticize the US player for not blocking out or going up strong for the rebound, instead of hoping that this was the play the Chinese player needed to get fired up.

As I said upthread, it was probably a reaction that he hoped it would be at least a halfway competitive game rather than a snooze-filled bore-fest that everyone predicted, and indeed what it turned out to be.

And a competitive game wouldn't have been a bad thing for the "Redeem Team" either b/c complacency can set in if they think every game will be easy.

He'd likely change his wording if given a chance to edit himself, but it was live teevee. But then again, I think everybody just likes seeing all of the athletes do their best, which forces all the other athletes to do their best, and that way yopu get the highest levels of the sport, which is what the Olympics is supposed to be.

Here, Joe:

China sucks!!!

[Fistpumps]

USA! USA! USA!

they were supposed to be and, well... most of them were...

i dont have a problem with it either. but lets not sit here and act all righteous like the US has never done anything wrong or unjust.

yes, china has a history of some "bad behavior" (to say the least), but hey, lets see you try to keep a country together for a few thousand years. we're not even at 250. sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do :wallbash:

I agree.

You know why people thought that the levees were blown up on purpose during Katrina? Because they did it in the past and DIDN'T compensate people after telling them they would.

You are either incredibly stupid or just trolling at this point if you think that's anything close to what I'm saying.

Or just an incredibly stupid troll.

No, I just think you're incredibly xenophobic and you must have a very thin skin to get bothered about something so trivial as an announcer encouraging athletes to do their best.

No, I just think you're incredibly xenophobic and you must have a very thin skin to get bothered about something so trivial as an announcer encouraging athletes to do their best.

To a point it is all about fear... What do you fear? Me, I think that countries should be re-enforcing good behavior and bring to light the negative behavior.

China wants glory and recognition, plain and simple... My point is they should have to work for it a little harder than what they are doing. I know this isn't the way the thread was intended.

Just my $.02 cents.

:wallbash:

Instead of starting a new thread, I'll ask here. Does anyone really think a few of those Chinese gymnastic girls are even close to being 16? My God, some of them look like their 8 or 9 years old!!

I'm reminded of the poster in the "Opening Ceremonies" thread who observed that anybody with a fetish for little Asian girls must be rockin' and rollin'!

:lol:

I guess you weren't a fan of Van Miller or Rick Jennerett.

Instead of starting a new thread, I'll ask here. Does anyone really think a few of those Chinese gymnastic girls are even close to being 16? My God, some of them look like their 8 or 9 years old!!

The Chinese grow them in a box to control their growth, only letting them out to practice. An extension of the old Japanese practice of binding feet.