Someone please explain the Roscoe Parrish lovefest

Adam

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You have to take the good with the bad for a player with Roscoe's abilities.

There are a limited number of players in the NFL that can make anyone miss from anywhere on the field, and take it to the house. In no means am I comparing him to Barry Sanders, because Barry took it to the house a lot more than Roscoe can dream of, but their styles of running are a little similar. Remember with Barry, he'd go the whole game with 1 yard gains, 5 yard losses, 3 yard losses, and then break one open for 60 yards. It was frustrating for all to see Barry jumping around going nowhere for 3/4s of the game, but the fact is, you can never stop giving the ball to him because there's always that one chance he'll make the great play and break it.

I'll say it again, in no way shape or form am I comparing him to Barry, but the coach-killing/game-breaking ability is there.

Roscoe has more than just punt returning ability, also. He's clutch (made great plays at the end of games and drives to get us down the field), he can make the acrobatic catch (sideline, clutch, vs. Jacksonville), he can score on reverses running the ball, and he can take a 2 yard route and run past everyone (Jets game last year).

The point is, you're going to have to accept the good with the bad with a player of Roscoe's abilities. Yeah, he's going to make some bonehead moves once in a while, but he's also got the ability to make plays that no one else in this league can make.

I'd take my chances with Roscoe.

All I hear is about how we need to get him the ball more, and how great he is and how he can build a rocket.....this and that

He is one of the best punt returners in the league- there is no arguing that. He is very fast and there is no arguing that.

He is tiny. He tries to make all these athletic moves and it rarely works. He has below average hands. He is not a route runner, much less a good one- and when he tries, he rounds off his cuts instead of making sharp cuts to get open.

All of this is one of the main reasons he was an underachiever at Miami and continues to be an underachiever.

His play if going to hurt Edwards' development- and could make him hold the ball too long and get hurt, you can count on that

Maybe if Jason Peters was in camp I wouldn’t say this, but he’s not so he can’t qualify for this honor. So, here’s something that will shock a lot of people to read: Roscoe Parrish is the best football player on the team! I was absolutely so impressed with him.

* He runs perfect routes (even the other receivers say he’s the best route runner on the team).

* He never drops a pass he should catch.

* He works his tail off and gives a great effort on every drill and play.

* He’s very coachable and pays attention.

* Even at his size, he can make plays in the red zone against taller DBs.

* He finishes every play off correctly.

* He is totally smooth at catching and returning punts compared to others who do it.

http://www.salsports.com/2008%20Bills%20Tr...mp%20Report.htm

Roscoe has actually done pretty well when given a chance.

There are a number of underachievers on this team (read: Whitner, McCargo, Kelsay, etc). Roscoe is not one of them.

How exactly is Whitner an underachiever??? He's stepped up into the leader going into his 3rd season...he's had to cheat against the run his entire two years year due to incompetence in middle of the d-line, and although he's not the kind of player thats going to pick the ball of 10 times per year, he's enough of a disruptive force.

I agree with you on Roscoe though...when the ball is in his hands, he makes things happen. There is no arguing that...but that has been the problem since he's been with us. He's not big and strong enough...and IF Hardy can turn into a decent big man this year, there is no reason that Roscoe shouldn't be an explosive 3rd wideout or slot man.

McCargo showed signs last year...but yeah, I want him to flourish with Stroud and show us all that he was a good first round pick. He has all the potential in the world...but definitely seems like he needs to have a fire lit under his ass.

How exactly is Whitner an underachiever??? He's stepped up into the leader going into his 3rd season...he's had to cheat against the run his entire two years year due to incompetence in middle of the d-line, and although he's not the kind of player thats going to pick the ball of 10 times per year, he's enough of a disruptive force.

What Whitner lacks on the field, he certainly makes up for it in his leadership and talk. That said, I don't expect him to get 10 picks a year... just elevate his overall game. This year, the excuses are over now that the DL has been "addressed." I look forward to much improved play from hiim.

OK, you have redefined Roscoe. So, he's a possession receiver now?

He's a slot receiver. Like Welker, he'll never have a high average from that position.

IMO, Roscoe's YPC has been predicated by the routes he's been running--the previous offense had him getting tied up in the trash 5-7 yards downfield. I hope new scheme has more quick hitches/screens/flat passes to get the ball in his hands sooner and let him run free.

If he can become half as good as this guy, I'll be satisfied with his career.

He's a slot receiver. Like Welker, he'll never have a high average from that position.

IMO, Roscoe's YPC has been predicated by the routes he's been running--the previous offense had him getting tied up in the trash 5-7 yards downfield. I hope new scheme has more quick hitches/screens/flat passes to get the ball in his hands sooner and let him run free.

If he can become half as good as this guy, I'll be satisfied with his career.

Roscoe in the backfield? :huh:

Remember with Barry, he'd go the whole game with 1 yard gains, 5 yard losses, 3 yard losses, and then break one open for 60 yards. It was frustrating for all to see Barry jumping around going nowhere for 3/4s of the game, but the fact is, you can never stop giving the ball to him because there's always that one chance he'll make the great play and break it.

Question is: Is causing your team 10 'three and outs' and then breaking one or two long ones condusive to winning?