Same ole, Same ole

Dr. Trooth

Yep... I know... it's preseason. Skins vs. Bills... I didn't care one lick about the outcome. Wins/losses don't mean anything. Bills could hav been drubbed 34-12 and I'd have found a silver lining if there were clear signs that "fundamentally", they were functional.

What I came away with was that... in a nutshell, the offense is still worthy of 31 st ranking, and the defense is worthy of their 31st ranking. Anyone that doesn't see a replay of the past two seasons is as blind as a bat and as dumb as a rock.

In 2006 & 2007 preseasons, shittee performance in the preseason = shittee performance in the regular season.

Observations..

* Skins run 18 plays against the defense in the first qtr., despite losing the ball on the opening kickoff... one of the drives was a 12 play drive, resulting in a TD. Bills didn't record their first 3 and out til 3:00 left in the half. And, the Skins sealed the deal in the 4th qtr. running a 16 play drive and backing the Bills up to their own goal line. The Skins offense piled up 341 yards... 175 on the ground. The long drives of 12-18 plays were a common theme the last two preseasons, and carried over to regular season. It will again this season, I'm sad to say.

* Offensively... the one thing that had to happen to get to the next level was Trent Edwards had to make significant improvement for the Bills 'O' to take the next step. He didn't... he looked more like John Edwards. Trent was a complete deer in headlights, finishing 1 of 5.... and Jason Peters wouldn't have changed that. When Losman stepped in (and I'm not a Losman fan) there was a big difference. Edwards did nothing to close the door and establish himself as the clear starter... and Losman did the necessary things to keep that door wide open. Plan on another year of both QBs seeing significant time and a lot of inconsistency as well as a bottom 25% ranking.

* Schonert's promotion to OC was a poor decision. There's a reason he hasn't been an OC prior to this.

* the Perry Fewell experiment is over. The verdict is in, and he stinks. But, wait a minute... isn't Jauron the defacto DC?

Playoffs? Are you kidding me? Playoffs?

Introducing your 2008 Buffalo Bills.... same as the 2007 Buffalo Bills.

Yep... I know... it's preseason. Skins vs. Bills... I didn't care one lick about the outcome. Wins/losses don't mean anything. Bills could hav been drubbed 34-12 and I'd have found a silver lining if there were clear signs that "fundamentally", they were functional.

What I came away with was that... in a nutshell, the offense is still worthy of 31 st ranking, and the defense is worthy of their 31st ranking. Anyone that doesn't see a replay of the past two seasons is as blind as a bat and as dumb as a rock.

In 2006 & 2007 preseasons, shittee performance in the preseason = shittee performance in the regular season.

Observations..

* Skins run 18 plays against the defense in the first qtr., despite losing the ball on the opening kickoff... one of the drives was a 12 play drive, resulting in a TD. Bills didn't record their first 3 and out til 3:00 left in the half. And, the Skins sealed the deal in the 4th qtr. running a 16 play drive and backing the Bills up to their own goal line. The Skins offense piled up 341 yards... 175 on the ground. The long drives of 12-18 plays were a common theme the last two preseasons, and carried over to regular season. It will again this season, I'm sad to say.

* Offensively... the one thing that had to happen to get to the next level was Trent Edwards had to make significant improvement for the Bills 'O' to take the next step. He didn't... he looked more like John Edwards. Trent was a complete deer in headlights, finishing 1 of 5.... and Jason Peters wouldn't have changed that. When Losman stepped in (and I'm not a Losman fan) there was a big difference. Edwards did nothing to close the door and establish himself as the clear starter... and Losman did the necessary things to keep that door wide open. Plan on another year of both QBs seeing significant time and a lot of inconsistency as well as a bottom 25% ranking.

* Schonert's promotion to OC was a poor decision. There's a reason he hasn't been an OC prior to this.

* the Perry Fewell experiment is over. The verdict is in, and he stinks. But, wait a minute... isn't Jauron the defacto DC?

I'm not panicking yet but I agree that the 2008 pre-season so far is looking like the 2007 pre-season. Is that a precursor? I'll let you know after the Lions game. If we play 4 crap games in a row then I will predict we will not make the playoffs. And by "crap" I mean weak performances by key players and units. Not wins or losses.

PTR

Observations..

Sad to say, but I couldn't agree more.

I hated the Schonert promotion to OC. I mean, look at the logic (or illogic in this case): he was the QB coach, and the QBs struggled last year. So, why promote him to OC if his "specialty" struggled last year? To me, it's just Ralph and this organization cutting corners. Same thing with no hiring of a real GM.

Schonert's offense = Fairchild's offense. God, how I wish we would have hired a real OC.

Observations..

It's the preseason buddy, not to mention that it was only our FIRST GAME so there was going to be some sloppyness, but basing our whole 2008 season on one preseason game is the stupidest thing I have ever heard. :thumbsup:

Observations..

Just looking back at the boxscores from the 07 pre-season, Buffalo had issues running the ball and preventing long drives on defense. Not surprisingly, we all know these were the major issues during the regular season. This is no coincidence, and pre-season or no pre-season, there remain the same problems from year to year.

If you isolate the first team defense and offense versus Washington, there's a lot left to expect. After an off-season of workouts, mini-camp, OTA's, and a few weeks of training camp the term "rusty" shouldn't be used.

I think Schonert's big changes are essentially some audibles and three receiver sets. It's a DJ coached team, and for as long as that's the case, he will ensure the offense is uber-conservative. Schonert's bluster is just that, talk.

I agree on the Turk Schonert and Perry Fewell statements that you made, but I don't agree with the fact that you are judging our 2008 season on one preseason game when it was only our first game, of course there was going to be some sort of sloppyness, but still, come on. :thumbsup:

Especially considering (a) our opponent had already played one pre-season game, (b) I believe Washington played most, if not all, of its starters in the 1st Q, especially on O, unlike the Bills, who were missing Peters, Reed, McGee, Crowell and Whitner (and it also looked to me like Stroud didn't play all of the first two series even), I don't think this game was as bad as some of you think. For ex., the two penalties on O in the 1st Q were by Kirk Chambers (shouldn't be on the field) and Walker (playing out of his natural position). Edwards did look rusty, but even there, one of his passes was dropped by Schouman and another incomplete looked like the result of a rookie non-starter not recognizing the play (which Hardy seemed to acknowledge in his sideline interview). I'd have like to see them play better, but I'm not panicking yet.....

Observations..

Agreed. My worst fears and rants from this offseason were all too realized in that first quarter. It looked as if our starters just introduced to the game of football two weeks ago. There's no amount of rationalization that can account being that ill prepared, even for a preseason game. My only wish is that some college team will hire Dick Jauron before the season opener.

Edwards vs Losman...advantage Losman. What ever happened to those "let's trade Losman for a roll of tape" posts?

Jauron vs Zorn...advantage Zorn, oh how I wish I was wrong about our lovable loser of a head coach. Redskins made the Bills look silly last night.

Observations..

Come on, our you serious, you are willing to fire our whole coaching staff and flush our 2008 season down the drain just because of our first preseason game not going the way you you wanted it to, boy, thank god you aren't our owner or else it would be the Toronto Bills next year. :thumbsup:

Especially considering (a) our opponent had already played one pre-season game, (b) I believe Washington played most, if not all, of its starters in the 1st Q, especially on O, unlike the Bills, who were missing Peters, Reed, McGee, Crowell and Whitner (and it also looked to me like Stroud didn't play all of the first two series even), I don't think this game was as bad as some of you think. For ex., the two penalties on O in the 1st Q were by Kirk Chambers (shouldn't WILL be on the field) and Walker (playing out of his natural position). Edwards did look rusty, but even there, one of his passes was dropped by Schouman and another incomplete looked like the result of a rookie non-starter not recognizing the play (which Hardy seemed to acknowledge in his sideline interview). I'd have like to see them play better, but I'm not panicking yet.....

Fixed.

It looked as if our starters a large percentage of TSW posters were just introduced to the game of football two weeks ago.

Fixed.

I'm still trying to get my arms around the mind buster that this place is more 'mature' than BZ...

Observations..

I wasn't impressed at all either, but until they actually play their first regular season game, all bets are off. The one thing I can honestly say is and the fact of the matter is it is true, we do need Jason Peters to come back and play LT for us. If he doesn't come back and play for whatever reason this year, our OL could struggle overall, especially against pass rushing DE's. Next game I would like to see Trent Edwards play the entire first half. He threw a nice pass on a deep out to Parrish but other than that, our offense seemed very conservative all game and that's alright during the preseason. I am glad we drafted Hardy because it is clear that he could really help our passing game this year.

Just looking back at the boxscores from the 07 pre-season, Buffalo had issues running the ball and preventing long drives on defense. Not surprisingly, we all know these were the major issues during the regular season. This is no coincidence, and pre-season or no pre-season, there remain the same problems from year to year.

If you isolate the first team defense and offense versus Washington, there's a lot left to expect. After an off-season of workouts, mini-camp, OTA's, and a few weeks of training camp the term "rusty" shouldn't be used.

I think Schonert's big changes are essentially some audibles and three receiver sets. It's a DJ coached team, and for as long as that's the case, he will ensure the offense is uber-conservative. Schonert's bluster is just that, talk.

I think that most of the posts in this thread are dead on. What we saw last night WAS the all too familiar Dickie J coached football. My optimism for this upcoming season was seriously diminished. Stroud was an absolute non-factor last night and his acquisition was a key factor in thinking this D would be improved. The theory was that Stroud would command double teaming, therefore clearing the way for other D-linemen and 'backers to make plays. Stroud was ABSOLUTELY HANDLED by a guard one on one every time. The one time he was double teamed on a run play, he was driven back 7 yards. This guy has done alot of talking, he had better start showing.

You make a good point about mini-camps, etc... I don't want to hear the "It's just the first preseason game excuse".

Another BIG problem that I had with last night's game was ending TE's night with a 1-5 performance after two crappy drives.

I DON"T CARE WHAT DICKIE J"S EXPECTATIONS OF PLAYING TIME WERE COMING INTO THE GAME. I don't care what the traditional formula for playing starters in the PS is. When you are installing a new O and your 2nd year man is not finding his rhythm, THEN LEAVE HIM IN A LITTLE LONGER TO WORK ON IT!!! It's called adaptation, improvisation, pull your head out of your arse and think on your feet Dick. What was the hurry to give JP a quarter plus when TE got two lousy drives?

Another thing that bothered me was TE's response to his poor performance. " We're in a different situation -- with crowd noise and the play clock". That's the same reply he gave when the O stunk in the first night practice in camp. Are you kidding me with this BS? You're the starting qb of an NFL team and you're whining about the play clock, crowd noise, and lights? Not good.

In conclusion, I'm disappointed with the all too familiar BS I saw last night. It is early in the PS, so I will stay tuned and roll with the punches. But if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck........

I think that most of the posts in this thread are dead on. What we saw last night WAS the all too familiar Dickie J coached football. My optimism for this upcoming season was seriously diminished. Stroud was an absolute non-factor last night and his acquisition was a key factor in thinking this D would be improved. The theory was that Stroud would command double teaming, therefore clearing the way for other D-linemen and 'backers to make plays. Stroud was ABSOLUTELY HANDLED by a guard one on one every time. The one time he was double teamed on a run play, he was driven back 7 yards. This guy has done alot of talking, he had better start showing.

You make a good point about mini-camps, etc... I don't want to hear the "It's just the first preseason game excuse".

Another BIG problem that I had with last night's game was ending TE's night with a 1-5 performance after two crappy drives.

I DON"T CARE WHAT DICKIE J"S EXPECTATIONS OF PLAYING TIME WERE COMING INTO THE GAME. I don't care what the traditional formula for playing starters in the PS is. When you are installing a new O and your 2nd year man is not finding his rhythm, THEN LEAVE HIM IN A LITTLE LONGER TO WORK ON IT!!! It's called adaptation, improvisation, pull your head out of your arse and think on your feet Dick. What was the hurry to give JP a quarter plus when TE got two lousy drives?

Another thing that bothered me was TE's response to his poor performance. " We're in a different situation -- with crowd noise and the play clock". That's the same reply he gave when the O stunk in the first night practice in camp. Are you kidding me with this BS? You're the starting qb of an NFL team and you're whining about the play clock, crowd noise, and lights? Not good.

In conclusion, I'm disappointed with the all too familiar BS I saw last night. It is early in the PS, so I will stay tuned and roll with the punches. But if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck........

On a good note, Buffalo did not suffer any injuries, which is what Washington's dealt with since their first practice.

Last year in pre-season the Bills scored 5 TD's in 4 games, and while that was divided over games in which 1st, 2nd, and 3rd team units played, the team in the regular season generated only 20 offensive TD's.

I don't have a lot of faith in DJ, because as history demonstrates, his teams rarely depart from a conservative offense which relies on great defense and special teams. Without exceptional D and ST, the offenses do not produce enough to cover up their personnel and scheme problems.

On a good note, Buffalo did not suffer any injuries, which is what Washington's dealt with since their first practice.

Last year in pre-season the Bills scored 5 TD's in 4 games, and while that was divided over games in which 1st, 2nd, and 3rd team units played, the team in the regular season generated only 20 offensive TD's.

I don't have a lot of faith in DJ, because as history demonstrates, his teams rarely depart from a conservative offense which relies on great defense and special teams. Without exceptional D and ST, the offenses do not produce enough to cover up their personnel and scheme problems.

I agree with you completely. Marv had it right with "run and stop the run". Until this team finds a way to stop the run and get off of the field after 3 downs, we'll go nowhere. Hopefully Stroud and McCargo can become the run stuffers we need.

Guest dog14787
It's the preseason buddy, not to mention that it was only our FIRST GAME so there was going to be some sloppyness, but basing our whole 2008 season on one preseason game is the stupidest thing I have ever heard. :thumbsup:

lol, couldn't agree more :thumbsup:

Sad to say, but I couldn't agree more.

I hated the Schonert promotion to OC. I mean, look at the logic (or illogic in this case): he was the QB coach, and the QBs struggled last year. So, why promote him to OC if his "specialty" struggled last year? To me, it's just Ralph and this organization cutting corners. Same thing with no hiring of a real GM.

Schonert's offense = Fairchild's offense. God, how I wish we would have hired a real OC.

Again, maybe Fairchild really wasn't the problem after all. Maybe we don't have adequate talent yet. We are still very weak at WR and TE. From my understanding, Lynch didn't play much either. Not having your best OL also causes problems. You could bring back Ted Marchibroda and we wouldn't have an explosive offense. A weak OL combined with few quality offensive weapons and a very young QB equals weak offense. We will go as far as our improved defense and special teams takes us, which won't be the playoffs- we are a few seasons away. If anyone doesn't like it, we can start over again, like we have every few years......that route has gotten us far

Agreed. My worst fears and rants from this offseason were all too realized in that first quarter. It looked as if our starters just introduced to the game of football two weeks ago. There's no amount of rationalization that can account being that ill prepared, even for a preseason game. My only wish is that some college team will hire Dick Jauron before the season opener.

Edwards vs Losman...advantage Losman. What ever happened to those "let's trade Losman for a roll of tape" posts?

Jauron vs Zorn...advantage Zorn, oh how I wish I was wrong about our lovable loser of a head coach. Redskins made the Bills look silly last night.

You need a trade offer before you can trade him for a roll of tape. We had exactly ZERO offers.

The Bills are silly and so is any thought of playoffs. We will have a good defense, but we don't have much talent offensively, nor do we have our best offensive lineman