I bet the kool aid drinkers and Losman haters...

1billsfan

I have heard NFL observer comment a few times about the Bills training camp consisting of more "standing around" than other camps.

If memory serves, they cancelled the last day of one of those 3-day thingees - saying that things looked good or some sort of hogwash. That was when the Lynch hit 'n run thing was ongoing. My impression of dropping the last day was so they could clam up.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Losman did look better than Edwards yesterday. And Edwards looked better than JP in the 2007 pre-season. Maybe both our QB's suck?

PTR

I'm not ready to trade my seat on the TE bandwagon for a pitchfork and torch but #5 better start proving that he's the man...and fast.

I can't believe that anyone could be so ignorant as to base their opinions on watching one preseason game. Preseason has always been meaningless in all sports, but this rings far truer in football.

I don't know if you were referring to my post or not. But I'm basing my opinion of TE's performance on last season, this training camp, AND last night's performance. I am all for TE but I am concerned that he's not improving his performance (see final 3 games last year). He's got to improve in the red zone and end drives with TD's.

That is the thing that stands out the most to me. I didn't expect the first unit to come out and light it up. I just don't understand why Jauron won't give this very young, starting unit, more playing time. He did the same thing last pre-season. If it is to avoid injuries, last year is proof that you can't avoid injuries, no matter how much you try. Edwards needs more time, particularly in a new offense, and an unsettled offensive line. From what I understand he (TE) didn't play in the rookie scrimmage either (other second year guys did)...that might be the one situation where the Bills play with contact, and Edwards couldn't have risked getting hit in his red jersey.

The Redskins came out ready to hit, in their second preseason game, from the opening kickoff...the Bills look timid. Is this why the Bills get off to these slow starts every year...they just don't practice hard enough? I have heard NFL observer comment a few times about the Bills training camp consisting of more "standing around" than other camps.

Oh well, honestly, while Edwards didn't do much, JP didn't look spectacular either. Theisman (doing the Redskins broadcast) commented that JP, even in warm ups, looks to throw the ball too high most of the time. He did that a few times last night. Even if guys catch the ball, they don't have much of a chance of getting any yardage after the catch.

I expect the Bills first unit will look a little better next week...

You're trusting Joe Theisman? That too high observation didn't translate to the actual game. He threw more too low passes, three, than his too high passes, two. All five of his bad passes hit the receiver in both hands (the Parrish bomb, the goalline Parrish slant which was a lousy pass, the low Parrish slant, the Hardy slant and the twopoint conversion.) three were very productive plays and two were drops even though they were not good passes. All others were right on the money including things he allegedly doesn't do well like dump offs and screens

I too think Jauron should have gave Trent one more series but virtually all teams and coaches give the starters a quarter in the first game.

...sure enjoyed last nights game. :thumbsup:

Excuse #1..."Hey, it's just preseason. Edwards and the other Bills starters are just pretending to be bad."

Last night I saw a head coach who's still clueless, a starting QB who still has a weak arm and won't throw the ball deep and offensive and defensive lines that are really really bad.

And if you have a problem with my negativity, then as Mr. Barnes would say...I couldn't care any less.

Not to many people will be upset about your negativity. We were a terrible team last year, and may not be much better this year. While Jauron is far from clueless, he is very limited in what he can do about a problem that has been ignored since before Jim Kelly retired. Our offensive line is terrible and our defensive line is mediocre. Our QB is young. We will not be an exciting, flashy team.

We are what we are, and thats what Jauron has to work with- they can fire him, but the next coach will just have the same problems to deal with. I wasn't for benching Losman, but we can always call for the backup, whether its JP or not.

We are missing our best lineman- people can talk all they want about how good the pass protection was last night- how efficient was the offense? Get Peters in and find a center who can play. I understand that Stroud did not play, so the defense should be somewhat better.

In the offseason, we need to get more talented at the line of scrimmage.

Freudian slip? Check out the week 1 stat leaders and box scores and tell me how accurate a predictor the first exhibition game is...

Its not necessarly about the numbers. I was hopeful the offense would at least look crisp and quite frankly it didnt. There is some cause for concern bc last year we sucked there too and we are running out of time to fix it

Excuse #1..."Hey, it's just preseason. Edwards and the other Bills starters are just pretending to be bad."

Last night I saw a head coach who's still clueless, a starting QB who still has a weak arm and won't throw the ball deep and offensive and defensive lines that are really really bad.

And if you have a problem with my negativity, then as Mr. Barnes would say...I couldn't care any less.

I'm sorry, I'm confused now: I thought the Losman apologists were the "Kool Aid" drinkers?

Actually, there'll be plenty of time for that later when the season starts. We are probably all kool aid drinkers to

some extent, as the sad truth is probably 75 % of this board think Bills will make the playoffs this year. Probably the

same 75 percent that thought they should have made the playoffs last year.

The only think you can say after 1 pre-season game, is that the Bills usually look bad in preaseason, but then confirm those opinions

by also looking bad in the regular season. Then there's the "hope" thing: I "hope" they're actually better than this. Then the truth starts

to slowly sink in.

How many teams have a longer playoff drought than the Bills?

Much, much TOO predictable for anyone who has been watching.

:thumbsup:

I'm sorry, I'm confused now: I thought the Losman apologists were the "Kool Aid" drinkers?

All of the factions are the kool aid drinkers. Its the offense that isn't in synch. When there is a turnover is it the QB that threw the ball to the wrong spot or the WR who ran the wrong route? It doesn't matter- the offense as a whole failed to execute. The kool aid drinkers are saying that our pass protection is just fine without Peters- HOW EFFICIENT WAS OUR OFFENSE.

We need our best players out there and he is one of them- to progress as an offense, our full team needs to be out there.

Was I happy with the way the first team offense looked last night? Of course not. Am I worried about it? Hell no it's the first fuggin preseason game. When week 1 comes and ya know it actually matters, then I will be concerned with a performance like that. Get a grip.

Right on. Sure we'd like to see the starters look great in their limited snaps but again it's preseason. I'd even give them the 1st 2 or 3 regular season games before being concerned about poor play.

Remember that this coaching staff has made some very good in-game adjustments in the past so I'd want to see a full game or two of the starters before making judgements.

Right on. Sure we'd like to see the starters look great in their limited snaps but again it's preseason. I'd even give them the 1st 2 or 3 regular season games before being concerned about poor play.

Remember that this coaching staff has made some very good in-game adjustments in the past so I'd want to see a full game or two of the starters before making judgements.

Huh?

:thumbsup:

Anyone who thought Losman held the ball too long on the sack simply didn't watch the play/replay close. Two receivers he looked at got blocked and confused and werent even looking at him. The third guy looked for the ball after Losman had already been sacked. Fred Jackson flared out but was completely behind JP and there was a LB just waiting for him. Of four receivers on the play there were zero options, even to throw it away. Not to mention the rush was very fast.

He did throw a couple lousy passes though. The high INC to Parrish and the low completion that Parrish had to reach for. The deep one to Parrish was the ONLY place that ball could have been thrown as he was not open at all. It may have been lucky and probably was. 4-5 short passes and the screen were very good passes.

I am one who doesnt put much stock in preseason games.

After reading some of the "Losman sacked" comments during the GDT I rolled back the DVR to see what happened, and you're right - there was little JP could do on that play. You can see the receivers were all bunched up in the middle of the field, about 7 yards from the LOS, and the only "open" option was the RB flaring out to his left, but it looked like there was a LB spying him. The tackles did a decent job of giving him a pocket to step up into, but Doughty came up the middle and got to JP before he could make a move.

JP played good - not great, and not terrible. He had a couple bad throws, some good throws, but most importantly he was productive and found a way to get the ball into the EZ. Does it mean a lot, being in the first preseason game and against second-stringers? No, not really. But it does show that contrary to what some here post, he does have some skills and at the very least can be counted on if/when Trent goes down.

This might be long season for you then.....

- There is no QB competition this year

- Unless TE gets hurt.....he is the starter

- Thats it

That is the thing that stands out the most to me. I didn't expect the first unit to come out and light it up. I just don't understand why Jauron won't give this very young, starting unit, more playing time. He did the same thing last pre-season. If it is to avoid injuries, last year is proof that you can't avoid injuries, no matter how much you try. Edwards needs more time, particularly in a new offense, and an unsettled offensive line. From what I understand he (TE) didn't play in the rookie scrimmage either (other second year guys did)...that might be the one situation where the Bills play with contact, and Edwards couldn't have risked getting hit in his red jersey.

Because it doesn't take long to spot flaws in what we are running. You put them in, find what needs to be work on and take them out. You don't want to repeat mistakes- that makes them habitual. And you can only correct so many things in a week's time.

They have all week to get more practice time- thats not what the preseason games are for.

After reading some of the "Losman sacked" comments during the GDT I rolled back the DVR to see what happened, and you're right - there was little JP could do on that play. You can see the receivers were all bunched up in the middle of the field, about 7 yards from the LOS, and the only "open" option was the RB flaring out to his left, but it looked like there was a LB spying him. The tackles did a decent job of giving him a pocket to step up into, but Doughty came up the middle and got to JP before he could make a move.

JP played good - not great, and not terrible. He had a couple bad throws, some good throws, but most importantly he was productive and found a way to get the ball into the EZ. Does it mean a lot, being in the first preseason game and against second-stringers? No, not really. But it does show that contrary to what some here post, he does have some skills and at the very least can be counted on if/when Trent goes down.

The team both offensively and defensively needs to show some changes from last year and they haven't yet.

Because if the season started right now the odds of an offense that's virtually the same playing differently that it did to round out last year aren't good.

The preseason is for honing your units. I don't understand why the starting units didn't get more time. It's not like we're protecting a championship team from injury or anything.

Most people saw little to be hopeful about last night. Let's see how they play at home v. Pittsburgh on Thursday night. Hopefully Jauron will leave the starters in for an entire half or even three quarters. They obviously need reps.

And Langston Walker at LT was not good.

If you're really happy we sucked and will continue to suck then you are no Bills fan buddy.

Some of already know our ineptitude isn't solely placed on the QB. Wise up.

If you're really happy we sucked and will continue to suck then you are no Bills fan buddy.

Some of already know our ineptitude isn't solely placed on the QB. Wise up.

He was obviously being facetious. He also knows that how the team plays is out of his control but he/she is a fan regardless.

Most have no clue why we really suck, and if it's told to them they go ballistic and begin acting like children throwing temper tantrums at the mere suggestion.

So I will refrain from doing it. :thumbsup:

I disagree. If Whitner et al. want to make pronouncements about being a playoff team, there are no more mulligans after Aug. 28.