So now we get an abbreviated version of the National Anthem?

stevestojan

I only had a few beers during the Bills game, but I'm almost positive when they played then Anthem for Phelp's first of his upcoming 46 golds, it not only started in the middle, but it stopped short.

WTF.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: !@#$ China.

I only had a few beers during the Bills game, but I'm almost positive when they played then Anthem for Phelp's first of his upcoming 46 golds, it not only started in the middle, but it stopped short.

WTF.

Yeah, I heard that and thought I was going crazy. They played the full version for the fencing gold medalist, so maybe it was just a mistake.

WTF.

If your memory is true that is !@#$ed up. China scares the !@#$ out of me. I don't know how we deal with them. I think it is very !@#$ed up that the olympics are in China this year

If your memory is true that is !@#$ed up. China scares the !@#$ out of me. I don't know how we deal with them. I think it is very !@#$ed up that the olympics are in China this year

Why would we have to "deal with them"?

If it were me, instead of laughing it off, I would have finished the anthem myself at the top of my lungs. It's not right to just let it die off like that, uncompleted at the most important part.

Maybe Phelps is a little embarrassed by his voice... Last Olympics he had those Invisaligns(?) and despite that company's ad copy, he sounded just like he had a mouthful of plastic. Listened to some of his interview and it still sounds weird.

If it were me, instead of laughing it off, I would have finished the anthem myself at the top of my lungs. It's not right to just let it die off like that, uncompleted at the most important part.

He was going to, but he's your average american. He doesn't know the words.

There's something about the anthem that I've been thinking about. In the accompanying music, why does the seem to sink when it reaches "... that our flag was still there"? It always sounds somber/mopey when that part is sung.

Why not continue the crescendo buildup through the whole line? "... gave proof through the night... that our flag was still there!" I don't think I've ever heard it sung this way. It would really convey some extra meaning, especially now. The US might be facing some stiffer competition and challenges in this orbital sphere, but we ain't down for the count! We bounce back and we fight on and kick ass.

On another note, the swimming events so far have been truly awesome. Always my favorite part of the Games, and isn't it sweet how we've been so dominant? Phelps is simply a freak.