My Youboty prediction. He started tonight, sure, but...

OC, you are a great poster and a great guy. Sorry, but I must vehemently disagree.

Why would Jauron trade a defensive back, especially for a draft pick? Jauron uses his best draft picks ON defensive backs. It wouldn't make sense. If he keeps Youboty and he is a premier corner, Jauron will no doubt draft a safety in round 1 of 09 (assuming that he isn't fired).

Do you disagree?

yes

Personally I'm unimpressed by James so far, and I'm not real excited about pinning our secondary hopes on two rookies and a guy who has struggled to stay healthy for much of his carer (James.)

Unless they are 100% confident that McKelvin and Corner are going to play well right off the bat and that James will be healthy and productive, I wouldn't trade Youboty.

I loved James missed tackle on the flare to the rb..It was at that point I flipped to HBO and watched Transformers

G Youboty is playing well, and he looks like he could be pretty damn good, but at this point, keeping him is a luxery. We have good corners, and they are young.

I think the difference between your not atypical fan view and the way the Bills braintrust has fairly consistently has demonstrated its views things differently than the average fan is that they do not view ST play as a luxury item.

The simple fact is that IF the only way to be a significant contributor to this team is through being a starter at one of 2 positions and in one or two cases a specialty player like McGee on KR, then they could simply cut half the roster and simply choose back-ups you can put in cold storage until an injury occurs.

Youbouty has a shot at being the nickel a long with the sudden plethora of CB talent we have. However, the key role which will determine the extent to which he is a needed member of this team is how he does as a gunner on kick coverage.

The prime Youbouty highlighy during his brief career have come from a couple of vicious hits he has made playing the gunner role four team.

Particularly with the loss of vets like Wire, Stamer, and Haggan, the release of these players represents the best thing Youbouty has going for him being a Bill.

I think the difference between your not atypical fan view and the way the Bills braintrust has fairly consistently has demonstrated its views things differently than the average fan is that they do not view ST play as a luxury item.

The simple fact is that IF the only way to be a significant contributor to this team is through being a starter at one of 2 positions and in one or two cases a specialty player like McGee on KR, then they could simply cut half the roster and simply choose back-ups you can put in cold storage until an injury occurs.

Youbouty has a shot at being the nickel a long with the sudden plethora of CB talent we have. However, the key role which will determine the extent to which he is a needed member of this team is how he does as a gunner on kick coverage.

The prime Youbouty highlighy during his brief career have come from a couple of vicious hits he has made playing the gunner role four team.

Particularly with the loss of vets like Wire, Stamer, and Haggan, the release of these players represents the best thing Youbouty has going for him being a Bill.

I didn't even know Youboty played special teams, that's how little he shows up there.

I thought Youboty was the Bill's best player on the field last night and thus it would be foolish to trade him away because he is showing progress and it is really just year 2 for him. His run support in open space was fantastic last night, along with soem real good coverage.

I didn't even know Youboty played special teams, that's how little he shows up there.

He was occupied the gunner's role in the beginning of last season until recurring injuries took him out of the line-up quite a bit. He played it sporadically after that as the Bills were shuffling around a lot on ST due to what ended up being an NFL leading number of players on IR.

As a CB he has shown the speed required to play the gunner role on coverage and he is a big boy as far as size and seems to like to hit. His main claims to productivity as a Bill have been his one rookie year start against the Jets where essentially injuries to TKO and Crowell while facing off against the rag-armed by whily Pennington, putting in the extra DB making his first start befuddled NYJ in terms of what our D was doing.

Beyond, that the logged some back-up time as a player the rest of his truncated rookie year and until the injury problem was actually him making a couple of nice open field tackles as a gunner.

We are not in a position to trade corners who are playing well. That is not a sensible reaction to a THIRD YEAR player with alot of talent who seems to be playing well. Our corners for this season, in order of how shocked I will be if they don't make the team:

McGee

McKelvin

Corner

James

Youboty

Greer

Youboty and Greer are fighting for the same spot. I think Youboty will win it.

Wow.

I don't get how so many want to cut Greer after his performance last year. If you thought he sucked then what does that make Youboty who COULDN'T unseat him???!!!

Jabari has secured his starting spot in the D for years to come.

Wow.

I don't get how so many want to cut Greer after his performance last year. If you thought he sucked then what does that make Youboty who COULDN'T unseat him???!!!

Couldn't agree more Greer last year looked like more than just a fill in, he looked like one of the best coverage corners out there. He will need to work on tackling to become a legit starter, but with his coverage skills I think he shows tremendous potential.

OC, you are a great poster and a great guy.

Thanks Bill, but as always I need to work on both.

Sorry, but I must vehemently disagree.

No shocker there. Considering we agree about 1 in 10 times on football. 9 out of 10 on everything else. :D

Why would Jauron trade a defensive back, especially for a draft pick? Jauron uses his best draft picks ON defensive backs. It wouldn't make sense. If he keeps Youboty and he is a premier corner, Jauron will no doubt draft a safety in round 1 of 09 (assuming that he isn't fired).

Do you disagree?

Yes. I disagree because of the people, situation, and goals that are involved with the group in question: One Bills Drive. To be clear, I reject your premise: "that Jauron is a D-back lover, and that's why we draft D-backs high". I think that view doesn't take into account a wide variety of parameters, influences, factors(yes all mean something different) and therefore there's no way I agree. I think it's a much more complicated issue, and I see many of the reasons as to why we have taken D backs high to be conspicuously absent for your posts.

I think that it's quite possible the Bills "overstocked" at D back. I think it was intentional, given all of the hell that has broken loose at those positions over the last 4 years. I think that they figured "safe is better than sorry". But, now because all of the players have panned out as well as they have, they have extra D-backs. However, let's not forget that things could have gone the exact opposite way as well, and then they might have just enough to still be barely competitive, like last year.

I think it's logical to assume that they are probably testing the waters to see what they can get with this surplus as we speak. I think that next year's draft will depend on decisions they make today, and if they trade Youboty, and then three guys get hurt again(or something similar), then yes, we might have to draft a D-back high again. Ask yourself how the Redskins feel right now. They had a master plan and it promptly went to sh-- the first week of training camp.

I think that teams are simply passing the ball a hell of a lot more than they ever have, and that the running game is nowhere near as important as it once was. The fundamental premise for this is the same thing they teach in t-ball: "You can throw faster than they can run, it's faster to throw the ball than run it, so throw it in, don't run it in". If a team can throw it accurately all over the field, they are going to do that instead of run. There are also many other factors, but the main one is: skill players on offense are infinitely better today than they ever have been.

Example 1: Passing records are being surpassed every season.

Example 2: JP Losman is probably a better QB than Terry Bradshaw was physically. But, neither posses the mental faculties necessary to play today's game.

Example 3: Running records are being beaten by RBs on teams who have a great, not just good, passing game. This is why Marshawn Lynch or Larry Johnson didn't set the single season rushing record despite leading the league in carries per game last year.

With the Pass now setting up the Run, instead of the other way around(as it used to be), you're Defensive backfield is now paramount. If you can't cover a premiere WR TANDEM for 4 seconds you are going to get killed by those guys all game.

Therefore, you have to spend, and even over-spend, on players who can more often than not cover the elite WR tandems out there, if you want to have any chance of winning. The Patriots* losing the SB is a prime example of why D lineman and LBs barely matter when you have offensive skill players playing at their best. "Their best" in this case meant the 10th? best QB in the league and the 10th? best WR tandem in the league. The Pats* questionable secondary was exposed for the farce that it is, and they couldn't even get it done against #10.

Thanks Bill, but as always I need to work on both.

No shocker there. Considering we agree about 1 in 10 times on football. 9 out of 10 on everything else. :D

Yes. I disagree because of the people, situation, and goals that are involved with the group in question: One Bills Drive. To be clear, I reject your premise: "that Jauron is a D-back lover, and that's why we draft D-backs high". I think that view doesn't take into account a wide variety of parameters, influences, factors(yes all mean something different) and therefore there's no way I agree. I think it's a much more complicated issue, and I see many of the reasons as to why we have taken D backs high to be conspicuously absent for your posts.

I think that it's quite possible the Bills "overstocked" at D back. I think it was intentional, given all of the hell that has broken loose at those positions over the last 4 years. I think that they figured "safe is better than sorry". But, now because all of the players have panned out as well as they have, they have extra D-backs. However, let's not forget that things could have gone the exact opposite way as well, and then they might have just enough to still be barely competitive, like last year.

I think it's logical to assume that they are probably testing the waters to see what they can get with this surplus as we speak. I think that next year's draft will depend on decisions they make today, and if they trade Youboty, and then three guys get hurt again(or something similar), then yes, we might have to draft a D-back high again. Ask yourself how the Redskins feel right now. They had a master plan and it promptly went to sh-- the first week of training camp.

I think that teams are simply passing the ball a hell of a lot more than they ever have, and that the running game is nowhere near as important as it once was. The fundamental premise for this is the same thing they teach in t-ball: "You can throw faster than they can run, it's faster to throw the ball than run it, so throw it in, don't run it in". If a team can throw it accurately all over the field, they are going to do that instead of run. There are also many other factors, but the main one is: skill players on offense are infinitely better today than they ever have been.

Example 1: Passing records are being surpassed every season.

Example 2: JP Losman is probably a better QB than Terry Bradshaw was physically. But, neither posses the mental faculties necessary to play today's game.

Example 3: Running records are being beaten by RBs on teams who have a great, not just good, passing game. This is why Marshawn Lynch or Larry Johnson didn't set the single season rushing record despite leading the league in carries per game last year.

With the Pass now setting up the Run, instead of the other way around(as it used to be), you're Defensive backfield is now paramount. If you can't cover a premiere WR TANDEM for 4 seconds you are going to get killed by those guys all game.

Therefore, you have to spend, and even over-spend, on players who can more often than not cover the elite WR tandems out there, if you want to have any chance of winning. The Patriots* losing the SB is a prime example of why D lineman and LBs barely matter when you have offensive skill players playing at their best. "Their best" in this case meant the 10th? best QB in the league and the 10th? best WR tandem in the league. The Pats* questionable secondary was exposed for the farce that it is, and they couldn't even get it done against #10.

First, I must say that you are being very hasty in downplaying the advantage/necessity of running the football. On running plays, blockers fire out and attack opposing lineman. A successful ground game means quite simply that one football team is beating the other one up, and controlling the clock as well.

When a team can run, and prevent the other team from running, that team generally wins. This will never change imo.

As for Youboty, he was a 3rd round pick and is thus inexpensive. If he is a good player, what sense would it make to trade him? MaGee and McCorner are both return men, and these guys are high injury risks. If something happens to one of them and Youboty is traded, Jauron would have to draft another early corner or 2. This would place him in a bad position, because after this year, Whitner will be that much closer free agency, and he is our only good safety. Jauron would probably devote the entire draft to the secondary. This could however be a moot point, whereas he is probably finished in Buffalo after this season.

Wow.

That list represents the likelihood of the player making the team. McKelvin, McGee, and Corner are locks. Youboty, Greer, and James are not. The Bills are begging for Youboty to outplay Greer this camp. They like corners who are physical and can tackle well, something Greer is not. Yes, with the talent we had LAST YEAR in the secondary, Greer would be a lock to make the team. But, he can't tackle and isn't that good of a cover corner to make up for that weakness in his game, and with the added talent to the secondary and Youboty seemingly figuring it out, he is definitely not a lock to make the team. Plus he does not play well on special teams either.