American killed at Olympics, another injured

Beerball

That's not as bad as the psycho who set off the bomb in Atlanta.

I don't know -- in Atlanta, it was random. Here, the guy was specifically targetting someone. I'd say this one is slightly worse overall.

WTF? What a sh-- idea to have the olympics in that hellhole.

Was that guy specifically targeting Americans, or was he just some random loon that wanted to be remembered as he offed himself? (I don't doubt either scenario).

I don't know -- in Atlanta, it was random. Here, the guy was specifically targetting someone. I'd say this one is slightly worse overall.

Fez, everything I've seen indicates this, too, was a random attack by a madman. He killed one male relative of a volleyball coach, and wounded an accompanying female relative as well as the Chinese guide.

It may indeed have been predicated on some ultra-nationalist going after Americans before he killed himself. Chinese media has been doing a lot 'Us vs. Them'-type stuff. I don't think it was a predatory, tho, just opportunistic for a loonie, and more evidence that people who rely on police to keep them safe (even at the Olympic levels) are just as loonie. Police get there after the fact --- personal protection is mostly self-help.

Strange, there was a time when you went abroad that being an American meant no one f---ed with you, especially in the Ford years. I forget where it was, but a country had abducted a group of Americans and Ford had the diplomats in the Oval Office and gave them 24 hours to release them. In 24 hours, the diplomats came back offering some deal or other and Ford said it was too late. One of our warships came in, guns blazing, teams worked through the city shooting anyone who raised a finger, got the hostages and shot all the captors, got back to the ship, and as they were leaving the harbor with everyone safe on board, they dropped bombs and laid waste. For quite a while, few people f--ked with the Americans. Today, wherever you go, it's as if we have to apologize for our mere presence.

I know what you're talking about but what does it have to do with my opinion of Atlanta?

Alright. Let's see in the above thread it was stated that there is a spot in SoCal that was 812 degrees, in that same thread it was joked that you, Chef Jim, were the Ferryman to Hell. Being that you lived close. Then in this thread, you stated that Atl was indeed a hell hole. What I did was state the irony of he two stories in regards to each other being that you made the comment. I thought you would catch that being that you were the one who made the comment. Now maybe it was a bad joke or maybe you're just being a d!ck I don't really know. Hopefully that clears it up for ya.

Alright. Let's see in the above thread it was stated that there is a spot in SoCal that was 812 degrees, in that same thread it was joked that you, Chef Jim, were the Ferryman to Hell. Being that you lived close. Then in this thread, you stated that Atl was indeed a hell hole. What I did was state the irony of he two stories in regards to each other being that you made the comment. I thought you would catch that being that you were the one who made the comment. Now maybe it was a bad joke or maybe you're just being a d!ck I don't really know. Hopefully that clears it up for ya.

Oh yeah that cleared things up for me alright. :thumbsup:

And sorry I don't read every thread on this board so I have idea what you're referring to.

chef, let me take a stab on this one.

He referred to you living near or in a hell hole...his reference was to a hot spot somewhere near you that is registering at 800+ degrees. myth and legend says that hell is a very hot place and downward not upward...therefore a spot reading 800+ degrees could....according to legends and myth....mean that it might be a hole leading to hell.....at least that is how i understood it......

Oh yeah that cleared things up for me alright. :thumbsup:

And sorry I don't read every thread on this board so I have idea what you're referring to.

chef, let me take a stab on this one.

He referred to you living near or in a hell hole...his reference was to a hot spot somewhere near you that is registering at 800+ degrees. myth and legend says that hell is a very hot place and downward not upward...therefore a spot reading 800+ degrees could....according to legends and myth....mean that it might be a hole leading to hell.....at least that is how i understood it......

Which therefore invalidates my opinion that Atlanta is a hell hole.