Help me out here, please

eball

I've seen that date referenced a couple of times, but don't know the significance and have been too lazy to research it.

It has nothing to do with contracts, that is the week 10 (or 6 games played) deadline. Peters has 3 years left on his deal. If he plays in 6 games this year, then his contract will advance a year and he will have 2 years left.

The august deadline is for accrued seasons of service, and should only come into play in theres no new CBA. In 2010, if theres no cap, veterans must have 6 seasons of service to qualify as a UFA. If they have less, the team still has their rights. As for Peters, do not know if he was 3 or 4 seasons of service, because i do not know if 2004 counts, as he appeared in only a handful of games. Lets assume Peters has 4 right now. If he doesnt get credit for the 2008 season, entering 2009 he'll only have 4 seasons still. Its possible that he could become a FA in 2010 like he's scheduled to, but not have enough accrued seasons (6) to actually be a UFA. Hope this helps.

so, peters will report by about 4 today?

I keep seeing this said but I just don't see it happening. If Peters is looking for a 5-6 year deal worth $10 mil per season he's prob not concerned about restricted free agency or the pension. The increase he'll see in this year's pay alone would be way more than anything he'll ever see out of missing a year of pension. And the length of the contract he'll sign will put him well over the years needed to reach FA. Perhaps I'm missing something but why would these things get Peters into camp today?

Just check out Steven Jackson - he didn't show for his date needed to accrue these things (which was Aug. 4th for him I believe.)

Actually, Peters already missed the deadline - apparently is was August 4th, 30 days prior to the start of the NFL regularseason, not the Bills first regular season game...

Link

So if you're on the way, Jason, you can turn around and go back home - you already lost a year's seniority.