Favre and the Jets

eball

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to hijack the thread, but was I the only one who, when scanning the TBD front page and saw a headline: "Bills Should Have Pursued Trade for Favre" immediately knew that Bob Matthews was the author?

:lol:

No.

Not to hijack the thread, but was I the only one who, when scanning the TBD front page and saw a headline: "Bills Should Have Pursued Trade for Favre" immediately knew that Bob Matthews was the author?

I figured it was Madden... :lol:

Why do people insist on painting the Packers front office as the bad guys in this whole situation? They were basically cornered into a no win situation by a QB that could not make up his mind & held his team hostage for the last few years. I hope Favre flops in NY. F*ck Favre & F*ck the jets.

I think, possibly, as Bills fans, we have become a little too appreciative of front office moves that are deemed as "building for the future", and don't put as much emphasis as we should (as sports fans) on winning. Look at all the crying done here when JP Losman lost his job.

Your scenario, about Favre holding his team hostage, is just silly. They needed and wanted him, even in those lean years, when he was the only thing Packers fans had to look forward to. You omitt the whole "bribe" thing they offered Favre, to stay retired. We have seen the "I'm tired, I might retire" act for years, with vetran NFL players. You know what? I believe them when they say they are tired. At 38, I am sure Favre feels a lot worse than he did at 28, the morning after a game.

I think Packers fans have every right to be pissed that Favre is gone, no matter the circumstances. Favre was the team MVP in 2007, had one of the three best seasons of his career in 2007, and led the offense on a team that was one play away from making a Super Bowl appearence. The team around him was coming in to its' own, and maturing, in a mediocre conference...there is no real reason to tamper with that if you don't have to.

How else can I put it? As a fan, I want to know my team is doing what it can, to field a winner. It is one thing if, like the Bills, and the team is treading water for a number of years...in that case you stay the course, and don't sell the teams future for a quick fix. In this case though, the Packers are, essentially, telling their fans that they think a the Packers future with Aaron Rodgers is pretty bright, even though it might take a few years to get back to where they were, just 7 months ago. As a Packers fan, that would be a pretty hard sell to me, if I knew I could retutrn again this season, with the same team, and be one of the odds on teams to get to the Super Bowl. What do the Packers owe Aaron Rodgers, that they didn't owe Brett Favre?

Even if you hate Favre, and think he is clearly to blame for this whole thing, how can you let the Packers managment off the hook for the way they handled this?

Anyways, like I said, it will be hard for me to root against Favre, but it might be a little easier for me, now that he is a Jet.