Why no one should be worried about the Jets...

Coming off a 4-12 season and making a splash in FA by signing a LOT of overpaid veterans, the latest one being Favre (in case you havent heard). I just realized that the Jets remind me of the Drew Bledsoe lead Bills of a few years ago.

I understand that Favre is a better QB than Bledsoe. But maybe I should say WAS a better QB then Bledsoe. At least Drew knows to stay retired.

But honestly, these Jets remind me of the 7-9 and 8-8 Bills who would be winning all game and then let Morton (NYJ) run back a kick and lose the game. I remember that opening day where we beat the Pats 31-0, jumping up and down for Bledsoe and Spikes and thinking "This is it! We're finally back on top! Signing these names really works!" and then being severely disappointed the rest of the season.

Thats exactly what the Jets will be this year. They'll be 8-8 and not be able to figure out why. I'm not too worried about them.

Go Bills!

Coming off a 4-12 season and making a splash in FA by signing a LOT of overpaid veterans, the latest one being Favre (in case you havent heard). I just realized that the Jets remind me of the Drew Bledsoe lead Bills of a few years ago.

I understand that Favre is a better QB than Bledsoe. But maybe I should say WAS a better QB then Bledsoe. At least Drew knows to stay retired.

But honestly, these Jets remind me of the 7-9 and 8-8 Bills who would be winning all game and then let Morton (NYJ) run back a kick and lose the game. I remember that opening day where we beat the Pats 31-0, jumping up and down for Bledsoe and Spikes and thinking "This is it! We're finally back on top! Signing these names really works!" and then being severely disappointed the rest of the season.

Thats exactly what the Jets will be this year. They'll be 8-8 and not be able to figure out why. I'm not too worried about them.

Go Bills!

Interesting post Doctor!

Also, Favre could lose it at any given time. Remember Rich Gannon? He went from the pro bowl to the toilet bowl in approx. 5 minutes. Even if he still "has it," minor injuries tend to linger as one ages, and there is little to nothing one can do about this. Trust me. :D

Where I do differ with you is wrt Spikes. I sincerely believe that Spikes, sans the major injury, would have been a hall of fame linebacker. Not too many guys could do it all at that position. Spikes could. He was a game changing lb with speed, size, and incredible strength. He was even good in coverage. I liken TKO to a stronger, and a little less agile Bobby Brazile.

I wish he was healthy and still a Buffalo Bill.

Interesting post Doctor!

Also, Favre could lose it at any given time. Remember Rich Gannon? He went from the pro bowl to the toilet bowl in approx. 5 minutes. Even if he still "has it," minor injuries tend to linger as one ages, and there is little to nothing one can do about this. Trust me. :D

Where I do differ with you is wrt Spikes. I sincerely believe that Spikes, sans the major injury, would have been a hall of fame linebacker. Not too many guys could do it all at that position. Spikes could. He was a game changing lb with speed, size, and incredible strength. He was even good in coverage. I liken TKO to a stronger, and a little less agile Bobby Brazile.

I wish he was healthy and still a Buffalo Bill.

oh, i completely agree about Spikes. I feel that Mularky getting rid of Rusty Jones indirectly ended Spikes career early. I jsut used him as an example of a "big name". Im sure some of the FA's that the Jets signed will look great, and at least one of them is (unfortunately) bound to get injured. I couldve just as easily used Troy Vincent or Lawyer Milloy etc.

Unfortunately we have to say Spikes "would have" been good "IF" he didnt get injured... and thats where we were. Woulda Coulda Shoulda, IF ONLY. Thats where the Jets will be I feel.

My point wasnt really about the specific players as it was the feel of the team.

but totally agreed about Spikes.

oh, i completely agree about Spikes. I feel that Mularky getting rid of Rusty Jones indirectly ended Spikes career early. I jsut used him as an example of a "big name". Im sure some of the FA's that the Jets signed will look great, and at least one of them is (unfortunately) bound to get injured.

Unfortunately we have to say Spikes "would have" been good "IF" he didnt get injured... and thats where we were. Woulda Coulda Shoulda, IF ONLY. Thats where the Jets will be I feel.

My point wasnt really about the specific players as it was the feel of the team.

but totally agreed about Spikes.

Faneca is a flat out monster. He is one of the best Guards I have ever seen, easily in the top ten, and I go back to the days of Larry Little and John Hannah. He will make life much easier for D'Brick (who is not even close to Peters overall imo).

Still, a guy like Favre who is 38 and takes chances is going to make mistakes. We need to hit him to beat him, and/or pressure him enough to force bad throws.

It all goes back to the games being won and lost in the trenches. This is a constant; it always will be, and is the reason I am sickened over the Peters situation. And, it gets worse every day. :sick::censored::D

It all goes back to the games being won and lost in the trenches. This is a constant; it always will be, and is the reason I am sickened over the Peters situation. And, it gets worse every day. :lol::sick::D

again, agreed. but you need to be just as upset and disappointed with Peters and Parker as you are with the Bills. P/P are pulling a no-class move and no one is sure why.

edit: regardless, dont be hijacking this thread into the typical Oline/Peters argument! :censored:

Because I am bored at work today and well...I for some reason decided the watch the Favre fiasco last night on ESPN...I have to agree with Dr...I was thinking about the same thing last night and even talked to my gf about it when she got home. There definately simliarities between the 4-12 Jets and those Bills with Bledsoe. I agree Favre will make them a better team than with Noodle Arm as QB, but they do have a bunch of "new" older players and favre will probablty get them a couple extra wins...

While watching the news conference, I lost a ton of respect for him - he really gave the appearance of only wanting to play to prove a point to the packers. This is going to be on heckuva media circus following the JETS all year and the focus is going to be on Favre and not the entire team. Which I am hoping will cause plenty of issues for them

:D

Go Bills!

So these Jets that have added several key free agents to their roster since last year and have replaced a very shaky QB position with a proven winner coming off one of his best ever years and have barely played with their current team remind you of a recent Bills team? How can you make any comparision?

Faneca is a flat out monster. He is one of the best Guards I have ever seen, easily in the top ten, and I go back to the days of Larry Little and John Hannah. He will make life much easier for D'Brick (who is not even close to Peters overall imo).

Still, a guy like Favre who is 38 and takes chances is going to make mistakes. We need to hit him to beat him, and/or pressure him enough to force bad throws.

It all goes back to the games being won and lost in the trenches. This is a constant; it always will be, and is the reason I am sickened over the Peters situation. And, it gets worse every day. :sick::censored::D

Bill, I hate to question your football knowledge but you could not be more wrong about Faneca. Maybe 3 or 4 years ago he was the monster you describe but have you even watched the steelers play the last few years? He has been a human turnstile & is definately in the twilight of his career. It was no coincidence that Pittsburgh did not even make an attempt to keep Faneca this offseason, even though the steelers have major line issues of their own. Same thing with Woody. These guys are over the hill & have not played their best football in years.

BTW, it is too early to hit the panic button on Peters. If this lingers into late next week, then we could officially start to be sick over it.

The Jets operation really does remind me of the Donahoe era Bills - more about hype than actual product and inevitably extremely disappointing. Favre makes them better, sure, a little bit. But it also makes it so they're not sneaking up on anybody. Their opponents will come in focused because the world is watching.

Think about Favre's career though - 16 years in the same offense in small market Green Bay. This year he's coming in out of pro-football shape, having to learn a new offense with all new players and new reads (something he hasn't had to do since the Bills were in the Superbowl) and will for the first time have the most aggressive and unforgiving media machine watching and critiquing his every move. In Green Bay he could be viewed from afar and admired by the big press because his failures, or at least shortcomings, wouldn't affect them in the least cause he's off in cute Green Bay. That will not be the case in the Big Apple. That town will turn on him in a second if he gives them any opportunity to, and it will be a feeding frenzy.

Bill, I hate to question your football knowledge but you could not be more wrong about Faneca. Maybe 3 or 4 years ago he was the monster you describe but have you even watched the steelers play the last few years? He has been a human turnstile & is definately in the twilight of his career. It was no coincidence that Pittsburgh did not even make an attempt to keep Faneca this offseason, even though the steelers have major line issues of their own. Same thing with Woody. These guys are over the hill & have not played their best football in years.

BTW, it is too early to hit the panic button on Peters. If this lingers into late next week, then we could officially start to be sick over it.

I guess my football knowledge ain't quite what it was either, 'cause I think Faneca is way better than your take on him. Have I watched any Stiller football? Well, maybe a game or two over the past few years. Human turnstile? Considering how he had to cover for a pathetic excuse for a center in Sean Mahan and an extremely unstable situation @ left tackle w/ injuries to Marvel Smith and w/ the team scrambling to replace him (Willie Colon, who I still feel is better suited inside @ guard much like Langston Walker, was even used there....yikes!), it's not so cut and dried in terms of Faneca's or the line's performance in pass protection. The decision not to keep Faneca had way more to do w/ the big contracts that Troy Polamalu and Ben Roethlisberger got than it did any dropoff in Faneca's play. Overall, he's as complete a guard as you'll find in the league: a devastating run blocker who can hold his own (but not TWO teammates' own as well) in pass blocking.

I guess my football knowledge ain't quite what it was either, 'cause I think Faneca is way better than your take on him. Have I watched any Stiller football? Well, maybe a game or two over the past few years. Human turnstile? Considering how he had to cover for a pathetic excuse for a center in Sean Mahan and an extremely unstable situation @ left tackle w/ injuries to Marvel Smith and w/ the team scrambling to replace him (Willie Colon, who I still feel is better suited inside @ guard much like Langston Walker, was even used there....yikes!), it's not so cut and dried in terms of Faneca's or the line's performance in pass protection. The decision not to keep Faneca had way more to do w/ the big contracts that Troy Polamalu and Ben Roethlisberger got than it did any dropoff in Faneca's play. Overall, he's as complete a guard as you'll find in the league: a devastating run blocker who can hold his own (but not TWO teammates' own as well) in pass blocking.

I watched alot of steelers games last year & I am telling you he was one of their weak links on the line. He is a big name I will give you that but his better days are behind him. I find it kinda funny that the steelers, who pride themselves & have built their teams from the lines out were willing to let Faneca walk without even making him an offer. If he is as good as you & Bill say he is they would of franchised him or did soemthing to keep him there. Remember the Jacksonville playoff game last year, they had no confidence in running to faneca's side late in the game. But he is a big name & everybody has heard of him on the wall & one of our rivals signed him to a big time contract so I guess that makes him a top 5 guard in the league.

I think a lot of people are assuming (hoping?) Favre is going to stink it up as a Jet and show his age. Sure it could happen that way, but I think it just as likely that he has a year or two in him yet. He was pretty darn good last season. I would rather be facing the Pennington Jets than the Favre Jets. On what basis are people projecting a steep decline? Because Rich Gannon went that way?

kj

I should also note that while we were floundering with all of those big name Vets, the Jets were squeeking into the playoffs with a young QB with a "weak arm", a couple of drafted WRs, strong D, and fast special teams....

weird

Perhaps most weird? Herm Edwards as coach.

I think a lot of people are assuming (hoping?) Favre is going to stink it up as a Jet and show his age. Sure it could happen that way, but I think it just as likely that he has a year or two in him yet. He was pretty darn good last season. I would rather be facing the Pennington Jets than the Favre Jets. On what basis are people projecting a steep decline? Because Rich Gannon went that way?

kj

Yep. It's foolish to think that any opponent is going to be a pushover.

Favre>Bledsoe is an understatement.

Knows to stay retired? In the spirit of fairness, Bledsoe didn't retire, he faded away. Nobody wanted him. Think if he came out of "retirement" he'd get a call?

I watched alot of steelers games last year & I am telling you he was one of their weak links on the line. He is a big name I will give you that but his better days are behind him. I find it kinda funny that the steelers, who pride themselves & have built their teams from the lines out were willing to let Faneca walk without even making him an offer. If he is as good as you & Bill say he is they would of franchised him or did soemthing to keep him there. Remember the Jacksonville playoff game last year, they had no confidence in running to faneca's side late in the game. But he is a big name & everybody has heard of him on the wall & one of our rivals signed him to a big time contract so I guess that makes him a top 5 guard in the league.

Again, it was more dollars and cents than anything as to why they couldn't keep him. Did you see the bonus money Roethlisberger got? I'm guessing that has a LOT to do w/ why they didn't give him an offer. He knew this going into last year, which is why he said it was his final year in Pittsburgh. He knew firsthand 'bout how Pittsburgh deals w/ the cap. Usually, they just use the draft to stock their team w/ talent, and they do it as good as any team in the league. This time, they had to prioritize which of their talented players they could afford to let go and which they needed to re-sign. I can only guess they looked @ the performance of Chris Kemoeatu and said they had a better chance of starting him in front of Roethlisberger than they did of retaining Faneca to block for Charlie Batch. I've watched quite a few of their games too, as my wife is a diehard Stiller fan so we record the games we don't attend (usually @ least one home game per year). That team struggled for many years to find a quarterback they can win w/. When they got Roethlisberger, I kinda figured they would break the bank (very un-Stiller like) to keep him, as they don't have the proven track record @ QB that they do @ other positions in regard to drafting replacements.

kj

I would bet that he's going to struggle, but a struggling Favre is still an upgrade for them this year.

My main reasons for thinking he'll struggle:

- first time in 16 years he'll have to really learn an offense

- not in football condition

- weaker supporting cast

- tougher conference

- exponentially greater media scrutiny/pressure