Maybe the Bills couldn't afford Favre?

No, but it wouldn't help his development. Favre, as much as I like him is at the end of his career, Trent Edwards is at the begining of his and I believe its going to be a very good one, besides, our young core of players needs to mature together.

Forget Favre (except twice this year when we play him) then lets see how our QB ( Edwards) goes up against one of the all time greats.

I think many of you will be pleasantly surprised because Trent Edwards is going to make some history of his own. :lol:

We all hope

But this league is littered with guys who showed potential and never really panned out. What did Edwards do last year that would make you believe he can carry this team as its QB without needing a HoF QB to help tutor him or learn from? He is getting alot of hype in Buffalo mostly because he wasn't Losman. His stats didn't differ much then Losmans, and he didn't lead the Bills to being a better offence, it was because he wasn't the other guy and as a rookie played as well as the other guy. Can anyone honestly say that Trent Edwards had a great year, without having to add on "for a Rookie"?

I really hope he does turn out to be a great QB and can lead the Bills, but letting him sit for a year or 2 behind a veteran future HoF is not going to ruin him. Throwing a young QB to the wolves didn't do much for the past couple QB's they have had around here

We're renegotiating a deal for Evans. Crowell needs a new deal. Peters wants a 7-figure contract. How would Favre's $12M salary fit under the cap?

PTR

Your points are right on about the Bills and Favre. IF the Bills had any interest in going after him, which they didn't, they would have set themselves back years by trying to S Q U E E Z E in $12 million onto a payroll that has so many young and talented players much more deserving of the cash down the road.

I didn't hear the conversation on WGR but I can imagine the point that was talked about was that the Bills would have benefitted by merchandise sales and media hype about Favre being a Bill. Sure, semi-valid pionts to an extent but the long term affect on the chemistry, not to mention the salary cap of the Bills would have been devastating. In the coming years, players like Peters, Whitner, Evans, Lynch, Crowell, McGee and Poz would be walking because the trickle down effect of Favre's salary would handcuff the Bills financially for about 5 years.

In reality, even if the current Bills had a desperate need for a QB, they just couldn't afford to gamble the potential future of the team away.

Your points are right on about the Bills and Favre. IF the Bills had any interest in going after him, which they didn't, they would have set themselves back years by trying to S Q U E E Z E in $12 million onto a payroll that has so many young and talented players much more deserving of the cash down the road.

I didn't hear the conversation on WGR but I can imagine the point that was talked about was that the Bills would have benefitted by merchandise sales and media hype about Favre being a Bill. Sure, semi-valid pionts to an extent but the long term affect on the chemistry, not to mention the salary cap of the Bills would have been devastating. In the coming years, players like Peters, Whitner, Evans, Lynch, Crowell, McGee and Poz would be walking because the trickle down effect of Favre's salary would handcuff the Bills financially for about 5 years.

In reality, even if the current Bills had a desperate need for a QB, they just couldn't afford to gamble the potential future of the team away.

You do realise the Bills are no where near the cap right now, and Favre only has 2 years left on his contract? They might be close to their personal cap, but adding him would not put them in Cap problems, and they could still re-sign Evans, Peters and Crowell. The thing is they would have to throw out their personal Cap/budget for the sake of winning now, and merchandise sales.

Plus if they don't want him after this year, they have a few choices, he retires for good, he gets traded again, or they release him, they don't need to worry about any long standing emotional attachement to him like the fans in Green bay had to. At this time, the Bills can afford to tie up 12 million for someone like Favre for a year or 2 if they wanted, as long as theyw ere willing to go over their personal cap/budget

You do realise the Bills are no where near the cap right now, and Favre only has 2 years left on his contract? They might be close to their personal cap, but adding him would not put them in Cap problems, and they could still re-sign Evans, Peters and Crowell. The thing is they would have to throw out their personal Cap/budget for the sake of winning now, and merchandise sales.

Plus if they don't want him after this year, they have a few choices, he retires for good, he gets traded again, or they release him, they don't need to worry about any long standing emotional attachement to him like the fans in Green bay had to. At this time, the Bills can afford to tie up 12 million for someone like Favre for a year or 2 if they wanted, as long as theyw ere willing to go over their personal cap/budget

I should have stated that the Bills Personal Cap stigma would have set them back for years. I realize the Bills have a bunch of cap rooom available to them and Favre would fit easily into that space. The only problem is, the Bills aren't the rest of the NFL and spend their alloted cap allowance to the maximum. There are a few teams now following the Bills model of Cash to Cap, which really restricts them financially to go out and make a huge splash in free agency or trading for a big name, high salaried veteran. But, in their market, they have to do it.

Would I like to see Favre in a Bills uniform? Sure, if he plays like Favre of last season or Favre or 1996 and 1997. Do I think the Bills should have made an effort to get him? NO, because the salary structure of the team and the current youthful structure and promising young QB's on the roster don't necessitate making a move for a QB that you really don't know what you're going to get. I'm not sold on Edwards only because of the moronic system he was burdened with last year, but I feel that he has the potential to be a pretty damn good QB in the right coaching system. JP is in the same boat system wise, he's been bounced from coach to coach and system to system since he got here and Hamdan seems to have the tools to be a pretty decent guy to have on the roster.

Guest dog14787
We all hope

But this league is littered with guys who showed potential and never really panned out. What did Edwards do last year that would make you believe he can carry this team as its QB without needing a HoF QB to help tutor him or learn from? He is getting alot of hype in Buffalo mostly because he wasn't Losman. His stats didn't differ much then Losmans, and he didn't lead the Bills to being a better offence, it was because he wasn't the other guy and as a rookie played as well as the other guy. Can anyone honestly say that Trent Edwards had a great year, without having to add on "for a Rookie"?

I really hope he does turn out to be a great QB and can lead the Bills, but letting him sit for a year or 2 behind a veteran future HoF is not going to ruin him. Throwing a young QB to the wolves didn't do much for the past couple QB's they have had around here

If you take our OC's poor game planning, lack of a TE, midget WR's :wallbash: and being his rookie year, he showed awesome composure. He has a quick Dan Marino like release, he's extremely bright and see's the field very well, he's very accurate, geeesh, I could go on and on about this guy. :lol: