Brett Favre traded to the New York Jets per FoxSports

Meanwhile, our division rival went out and acquired one of the top QBs in the league and a guy coming off a pro bowl year to turn their offense around.

Yeah and Stroud and Mitchell, with Poz coming back and looking great, have no canceling effect on anything the Jets did. :devil: How's life in the bubble? :angry: You do know that the Jets aren't the only team that did things in FA/draft this year, right?

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah and Stroud and Mitchell, with Poz coming back and looking great, have no canceling effect on anything the Jets did. :devil: How's life in the bubble? :angry: You do know that the Jets aren't the only team that did things in FA/draft this year, right?

Both teams made moves during the offseason, it's debateable as to who made the better moves as only time on the field will tell. For arguement's sake, let's call all their moves up to now a draw.

HOWEVER, Brett Favre even with his picks and his gunslinging ways is still better than what we have at QB. And sorry, in this day and age of the NFL, you need a solid QB to win games.

Ask yourself this HM, how have the Bills improved their offense to the point that other teams in our division and the NFL worry about playing us? Last year we were the 30th ranked in the league. To "improve" on that, we have decided to keep BOTH QBs that neither of which could hold onto the starter's position and instead of finding a proven offensive co-ordinator, we promote someone who had a hand (albeit it may have been small) in one of the most disasterous offensive schemes in the history of the league. I really hope that Trent (or JP) becomes a bonifide starter and Turk is an offensive genius like Charlie Weiss but those are still question marks. We also may not have Peters on our line which also creates a HUGE problem...

Meanwhile, our division rival went out and acquired one of the top QBs in the league and a guy coming off a pro bowl year to turn their offense around.

Stats are irrelevant. Yards mean very little in the context of games. You say 30th ranked offense. I say we went 7-9 with 17 guys on IR, and expect with a healthy team, and more experience for Edwards, another year of the same oline together, adding hopefuly a wr who can use his size to cause matchup problems. That improvement will naturally follow. Peters isn't the first, and won't be the last NFL player to hold out. I expect he'll be back sooner rather then later. I dont expect us to be world beaters on offense, and honestly I'm not looking for that. I still am dissapointed by the lack of any real quality tight ends on the roster, as I feel that's a must in todays NFL. I do expect that with experience, Edwards will improve as a starter. I dont expect us to be the colts, but again you dont need that kind of offense. Control the clock, and pound the rock, and play good defense. I'd much rather have a top tier defense and middle of the pack offense, then the other way around.

I'm not gonna throw hissy fits about the jets getting Favre. I just don't buy into the jets offseason, like a lot of others do. I think it's an old team, with no real game breakers. Thomas Jones is on his last legs. Damien Woody/Calvin Pace/Kris Jenkins? Jenkins is a 4-3 dt, who's being forced to be a nt in a 3-4. We'll see how that one works. Calvin Pace, was highly overpaid, and to say that the jets lb core, isn't as good what he played with in Arizona is an understatment. The guy isn't that explosive of an edge rusher, and lacks coverage skills. Roosevelt Colvin/Willie McGinnest he isn't. People can buy into the Jets hype all they want. I hear it daily here. I think gholston is going to be a beast for him. After Dorsey I feel he was the 2nd best player in this past draft. It won't happen for them overnight.

I look at the jets and I see an old team, who while having some guys with talent, has put themselves in a position where they're saying "We have to win now", but the overall team just isn't in that kind of shape. By the time it is. Favre will be gone. So I simply don't worry. The Jets got a name. I move on hoping the guys the Bills got, keep them ahead of the Jets, while they should be concentrating on not getting rag dolled by the Patriots anymore. That's the Target. Think Catch New England Not Hold off New York.

The Jets gave up a conditional 4th round pick (depending on playing time).

Fourth rounder at minimum, 3rd rounder if he plays 60% of the snaps, 2nd rounder for 70%, and it's a 1st rounder for 80% and above.. Pretty good deal for both sides IMO.

I edited my post, this is how the deal worked out. In the end, the Jets will end up losing their First round pick next year.

No offense, but if Chad Pennington and Kellen Clemens were able to put up more TDs than us, I shudder to think what they'll do with Favre. Take off the homer glasses and see this for what it is....the Jets are now MUCH better than they were before with this trade.

Again, you take one fact, ignore all others and or mitigation, like the fact that our O co-ordintator personally lost us multiple games last year, and try to make a point.

Take off the bubble boy glasses and realize that there's no way in hell Cotchery, Clemens, and Brett Favre are worth Lee Evans at this point, and likely won't ever be going forward. Deal with reality. I just went to camp I saw him with my own two eyes, and he is going to have an All-Pro year. I know football. If you do, and you saw what I did, you'd be saying the same thing.

This isn't homerism, this is simply pointing out that I have never seen Lee Evans look this good, every play and I've seen two separate days. The last time I saw a WR look this good live, it was TO. The time before that, it was Andre Reed.

Lee Evans is on track to dominate games this year, and it's not just because of help on the other side. He was beating double coverage over and over out there and honestly nobody on the Bills is covering him right now, and this is a Tampa 2 friggin defense.

Jesus Christ. The Jest fans will be interminable.

Just until the middle of the season.

Favre playing for a team other than Green Bay is just wrong. The Pack should have brought him back period. Passing the reigns to Aaron Rodgers?...PLEASE. The Pack will regret this move forever. I like the draft pick of Leodis McKelvin even better at this point. :angry:

Favre is a dick and he has no regard for anyone but himself. If I was a Peckers fan I'd say good riddance.

The jets made a lot of offseason moves, and their defense got much better. They added calvin pace and kris jenkins, and drafted v. gholston who is probably going to be a monster. On offense they added alan faneca and have a line that has the looks of being very good. His weapons are Coles, Cotchery, Keller, Thomas Jones. Anyone that says the Jets will not be good and we will crush them, you are a complete idiot. If Favre came to the Bills everyone would be talking super bowl. Lets not forget we don't have a QB as of now and the Jets have Favre, who put up some amazing numbers just last year. Bottom line is untill we have an offense that ranks better than 30th lets not be stupid and act like Edwards will be better then Favre. After saying that I think we just need to hope that it doesn't work out for the Jets, and Edwards becomes the real deal.

-by the way, to make things even worse, we play the Jets later in the year as opposed to early this season.

Even Dan Snyder has realized buying a lot of FA's isn't the way to build a successful team.

Are you kidding me? Coles and Cotchery are a better set of receivers than we have here, and they have a better set of TE's too with Dustin Keller, Chris Baker and Bubba Franks. That was a very moronic statement.

When they're healthy.

Last play of his "career"? Pick. A pick that killed their game and gave the Giants the win. I will take that kind of "game" from him all day, every day. Career INT record, here Favre comes!

Would you agree that Favre has now clearly demonstrated that he is a whiner, an attention-starved whiner at that, and has no problem crying to the media? Do you think that is a good plan in NYC? Anywhere in NY for that matter? You think the press in NYC or anywhere in NY are going to let up on him when things start(inevitably from where I sit) going bad?

What Favre did to the Peckers is inexcusable. Retiring and then telling them he was going to come back and then the day before they announce it changing his mind again and then telling them he wanted to come back again is just a dickful thing to do. When you factor in his previous offseason retirement BS it's easy to see why the Peckers would say sayonara.

Favre is 39 and I don't think he'll be able to match his stats from last year. This is going to be funny. Especially if they replace him with Clemens sometime during the season. :devil:

If it's true that the Jests gave them a third rounder for him they got robbed.

I hope Favre's career ends the same way it did for another all-time great QB.

(Joe Montana)

Motionless... on the frozen tundra of Ralph Wilson Stadium

:angry:

(anyone have a picture of ol' Joe on his back?)

Go Bills!

I edited my post, this is how the deal worked out. In the end, the Jets will end up losing their First round pick next year.

What I saw on both ESPN and NFL Network was the following:

-Minimum 4th round pick

-becomes a 3rd round pick if Favre takes 50% of the snaps

-becomes a 2nd round pick if Favre takes 70% of the snaps AND the Jets make the playoffs

-becomes a 1st round pick if Favre takes 80% of the snaps AND the Jets make the Super Bowl

(Joe Montana)

:devil:

Go Bills!

:beer:

All's fair in Football. Marcus Stroud planting Favre into the Turf would be a thing a beauty

What I saw on both ESPN and NFL Network was the following:

-Minimum 4th round pick

-becomes a 3rd round pick if Favre takes 50% of the snaps

-becomes a 2nd round pick if Favre takes 70% of the snaps AND the Jets make the playoffs

-becomes a 1st round pick if Favre takes 80% of the snaps AND the Jets make the Super Bowl

NFL.com has video about the deal and that's exactly what they said the deal was.

They also have an article

The Packers traded future Hall of Fame quarterback to the New York Jets for a conditional fourth-round draft pick, NFL Network’s Adam Schefter reports.

The pick turns into a third-round selection if Favre plays in 50 percent of the plays this season, a second-rounder if he plays in 70 percent of the plays and the Jets qualify for the playoffs, and a first-round pick if he plays in 80 percent of the plays and Jets make it to the Super Bowl.

(Joe Montana)

Go Bills!

Bah! Beat me to it. I was looking for a picture. Montana was great with the 49ert though, against some of the best D ever assembled.

I don't want to see him hurt. I want to see him play horribly the whole season long. :angry:

well yeah. As long as it's not cheap, just a legal clean hit, I won't lose sleep over it. I'd just love to see a bills dline rough up a quarterback for once. It's been a long time coming.

Im sorry but Coles is far from a dependable wide reciever, seems like hes always injured and a fraction of what he used to be. I like Jericho Cotchery though and Brad Smith is a unique weapon. So Favre definately has some toys to play with. His O line is sick, Mangold, Ferguson, Faneca, and woody -- talk about an experienced veteran offense.

Im sorry but Coles is far from a dependable wide reciever, seems like hes always injured and a fraction of what he used to be. I like Jericho Cotchery though and Brad Smith is a unique weapon. So Favre definately has some toys to play with. His O line is sick, Mangold, Ferguson, Faneca, and woody -- talk about an experienced veteran offense.

Experienced in the NFL but not together.

If this means anything to anyone here are his TD/Int. for the past three years.

2007 28 TD/15 Int.

2006 18/18

2005 20/29

I think last year was just a fluke. In 2005 and 2006 he was much less than impressive. He's 39 and only had one good year in the last three.

2007 28 TD/15 Int.

2006 18/18

2005 20/29

I think last year was just a fluke. In 2005 and 2006 he was much less than impressive. He's 39 and only had one good year in the last three.

Thanks for bringing this up. I also expect Favre will play closer to his 05/06 level then last seasons level. Partly cause he's now with the jets partly, because the packers I do believe were a very talented team regardless of Favre. I think the group of wr's the packers have are top notch guys, who will continue to be good regardless of Favre no longer being there. Their defensive talent is also top notch. The jets don't touch the level of Driver/Jennings/Jones, and Ryan Grant while I'm not enamored with the guy at this point is a better rb then Thomas Jones.

Farve also has not been working out like he did last season where he supposedly was in best shape of his career.

Also something on whether teams can control where players go after being traded:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp...tory?id=3522971

The NFL Network also is reporting that the Packers took great pains to ensure that Favre would not be traded to the Vikings by inserting a "poison pill" in the deal. If Favre were to be traded to Minnesota, New York would have to surrender three first-round picks to Green Bay.

2007 28 TD/15 Int.

2006 18/18

2005 20/29

Thank you. Favre was TERRIBLE in '05 and '06. He certainly found some magic last year. I find it strange that everyone is simply assuming that Favre will be the MVP QB he was a decade ago, or that his 2007 level of play is a given. Two of his most recent three seasons have been subpar. I wouldn't exactly pencil Sir Brett the Savior in for another 30TD 15INT season.

Also, how do the Jets feel when Favre refused to consider playing for them? The Jets' offer was on the table the entire time, and I'm sure the Packers would've preferred to trade him there (out of conference, not a "contender" so to speak, they don't play each other) but Favre blocked the deal initially. Now, all of the sudden, Favre speaks to the Jets front office and he decides that the Jets are now worthy of having him throw passes for them. I know he will be embraced by the Jets locker room, every player just wants to win, but that angle or arrogance and flip-flopping is becoming typical of Favre.

Anyways, Favre has been practicing with high schoolers, so joining the Jets shouldn't be too different for him...