RIP - Alexander Solzhenitsyn dies at age 89

stuckincincy

What did you learn from it? :rolleyes:

I don't know if I learned anything from it, per se. It was a bleak account of the gulags, which I knew little about at the time. It was important to me because it opened me up to Russian lit in general. What's with the :thumbsup: ? You're not a fan of his work?

I don't know if I learned anything from it, per se. It was a bleak account of the gulags, which I knew little about at the time. It was important to me because it opened me up to Russian lit in general. What's with the :rolleyes: ? You're not a fan of his work?

Hmm...just a literary, entertainment venue to you, and not a sadness in your heart that such things happen? :thumbsup:

Hmm...just a literary, entertainment venue to you, and not a sadness in your heart that such things happen? :rolleyes:

Where did you get that from? I said it was a really important book to me. I didn't realize that expressing heartfelt sadness for humankind would be the only acceptable response to his death. :thumbsup: to you and this thread.

Where did you get that from? I said it was a really important book to me. I didn't realize that expressing heartfelt sadness for humankind would be the only acceptable response to his death. :wallbash: to you and this thread.

[/quote

OK - what did his works impart to you?

I recall when it was revealed that Solzhenitsyn was living in Vermont, and he announced that he was returning to Russia. He gave a brief speech to his fellow townsfolk where he basically said thank you for leaving him alone, and by the way your country blows (in not so many words.) He actually struck me as a bit of a douche.

PTR

I recall when it was revealed that Solzhenitsyn was living in Vermont, and he announced that he was returning to Russia. He gave a brief speech to his fellow townsfolk where he basically said thank you for leaving him alone, and by the way your country blows (in not so many words.) He actually struck me as a bit of a douche.

PTR

Douche.....the word of the day.