Brett Farve, Aaron Rodgers, Doug Flutie, Rob Johnson

I'm getting tired of the of the Brett Farve situation and the Packers have totally screwed this thing up.

And it shows the NFL is all about money. The same thing happened with DF and RJ. Ownership didn't want to waste the contract money on RJ and ownership doesn't want to waste the contract money on Aaron Rodgers.

My thing is, you can always get another QB in the draft. It's easier to trade Aaron Rodgers because of his age, then it is Brett. Moreover, Brett has every right to still play if he wants and they should stop trying to force him into retirement like they did with their "marketing" offer.

You can get rid of a guy by releasing him or trading him for a 7th round draft pick.

The Packers are trying to win on every front and it's not fair. At least the Bills released Flutie and let him play somewhere else.

Moreover, Brett has every right to still play if he wants and they should stop trying to force him into retirement like they did with their "marketing" offer

Didn't Favre announce his retirement this past spring of his own volition?

I also remember at the end of either 2005 or 2006, he was crying as the clock wound down during the season finale season finale - the implication was that he was calling it quits.

If Favre doesn't like the marketing offer, then he should just definitely say that he's not interested. Unfortunately, though, as we've seen time and time again, decisiveness is not one of Favre's strengths.

I wouldn't want to do that because Brett is the NFL leader in INTS.

True. The NFL leader in TD's and yards means nothing.

And Flutie is the NFL leader in...what? :blink: Oh I know, ego-to-height ratio.

Moreover, Brett has every right to still play if he wants and they should stop trying to force him into retirement like they did with their "marketing" offer

Didn't Favre announce his retirement this past spring of his own volition?

I also remember at the end of either 2005 or 2006, he was crying as the clock wound down during the season finale season finale - the implication was that he was calling it quits.

If Favre doesn't like the marketing offer, then he should just definitely say that he's not interested. Unfortunately, though, as we've seen time and time again, decisiveness is not one of Favre's strengths.

Brett says it wasn't his own volition and I've always had afeeling the retirement talk throughout the years was more "media driven" then anything else.

If Brett did anything wrong, he should have stopped the media speculation before it got so bad. It became a yearly thing. And I've always felt the media got tired of him and wanted to run him off, but that's just me.

I've never been a real big Brett Farve fan, but the guy was good and still is. I think he could play for two to three more years. Why not? If you've got the body to do it. He's never really been hurt.

I'm getting tired of the of the Brett Farve situation and the Packers have totally screwed this thing up.

And it shows the NFL is all about money. The same thing happened with DF and RJ. Ownership didn't want to waste the contract money on RJ and ownership doesn't want to waste the contract money on Aaron Rodgers.

My thing is, you can always get another QB in the draft. It's easier to trade Aaron Rodgers because of his age, then it is Brett. Moreover, Brett has every right to still play if he wants and they should stop trying to force him into retirement like they did with their "marketing" offer.

You can get rid of a guy by releasing him or trading him for a 7th round draft pick.

The Packers are trying to win on every front and it's not fair. At least the Bills released Flutie and let him play somewhere else.

You forgot something....Flutie had a larger contract averaged out than RJ. The Bills dumped Flutie instead of RJ because RJ said he'd learn the new West Coast Offense that Williams was bringing in. Flutie said he'd give it a shot but if he didn't like it, he'd go back to doing what he wanted to do. If a control freak head coach is forced to choose between a QB who was going to tow the line or a QB who was going to do his own thing...which do you really think he's gonna keep? :rolleyes:

So there's no way of comparing the two situations.

As far as Brett, no one forced him to retire....the Packers wanted to know if he was going to, though. Should they have just left the door open and said "just show up when you feel like it if you decide to come back?" All that time in the offseason wasted not knowing for sure, then. To do that would screw over the entire team bigtime if he decided to retire at the last minute. Instead of preparing for the 2008 season with Rodgers, they would've been sitting around with their thumbs up their asses all this time and the 2008 season would've been a waste for them.

Pulling this unretirement garbage is selfish to the extreme on Brett's part...he seems to think the world revolves around him.

Besides that, the Packers were doing him a favor trying to keep him retired. He's on the cover of Madden...and EVERY player who landed that cover promptly had a bad season. Well, except Barry Sanders...who retired all of a sudden...before playing a single down that season. If Brett plays this year, his legacy will be tarnished...even more than it already has been

I was at that game. What a disaster.

:rolleyes:

In all the discussions of "Man, that loss was a kick in the nuts," that game is rarely brought up. It's one thing to lose to him. It's another to lose to him by having him run in it for the winning score at the end. A completely shiittty game.

Are you kidding me? Boy, if you can use the Brett Favre situation to resurrect Flutie/Johnson, you can use most anything!

You know, I can really understand both sides in this whole Farve/Packers saga.

First, I understand that at Brett's age, he has to be pretty beat up and both mentally and physically exhausted by the end of a season. And given his stature, he should be able to take most of the spring and early summer to recharge his batteries before deciding whether he wants to commit to another season.

On the other hand, this NFL thing is a business, and teams (especially their football management) have a lot at stake and so much of it depends upon their long range planning which has to start almost immediately after the season ends (which includes draft preparation). Moreover, when it comes to the QB position, you need to be able to start early in mini-camps and OTAs in preparation for who will lead the team.

So on the one hand, I think Brett Favre has earned the right to have the time to figure out what he wants to do, and I think a team has a right to want to know as early as possible how they need to prepare for the up-coming season and the future. It is frankly an untenable situation for both sides. The Pack forced Brett to make a decision so that could know how to prepare for the draft and that they should hand over the reigns to the kid. As a result of Brett's answer, they did just that and drafted two more QBs.

I think Brett was forced to make a decision too early, but understandably so. As such, I think Brett has a right to play if he wants to, even if he did decide earlier than he wanted to that he would retire. I mean, after all, the guy was still at (or at least near) the top of his game last season.

So, I like the way the Pack is handling this. I think they are making the best of an untenable situation. They are in a tough position. They'd like Brett to stay retired and have done their best to make that happen. Brett is determined to play. Now they are faced with letting him go play for another team, possibly a division rival, or they can accept him back on the team and least give him a chance to keep his old job. What other choice do they really have?

On March 4, 2008, Favre formally announced his retirement.Favre's agent, Bus Cook, stated "Nobody pushed Brett Favre out the door but then nobody encouraged him not to go out that door either. I don't think he had a lot of encouragement to stay, but nobody told him to leave either."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brett_Favre

He had over a month to decide and quite frankly, I don't think the Packers would've been upset had he waited til mid-April...just so long as they found out early enough to make their offseason plans

In all the discussions of "Man, that loss was a kick in the nuts," that game is rarely brought up. It's one thing to lose to him. It's another to lose to him by having him run in it for the winning score at the end. A completely shiittty game.

Yeah, I remember just being in stunned disbelief.

Also saw the Chargers win their only game of the 1 - 15 2000 season there.

You forgot something....Flutie had a larger contract averaged out than RJ. The Bills dumped Flutie instead of RJ because RJ said he'd learn the new West Coast Offense that Williams was bringing in. Flutie said he'd give it a shot but if he didn't like it, he'd go back to doing what he wanted to do. If a control freak head coach is forced to choose between a QB who was going to tow the line or a QB who was going to do his own thing...which do you really think he's gonna keep? :rolleyes:

So there's no way of comparing the two situations.

As far as Brett, no one forced him to retire....the Packers wanted to know if he was going to, though. Should they have just left the door open and said "just show up when you feel like it if you decide to come back?" All that time in the offseason wasted not knowing for sure, then. To do that would screw over the entire team bigtime if he decided to retire at the last minute. Instead of preparing for the 2008 season with Rodgers, they would've been sitting around with their thumbs up their asses all this time and the 2008 season would've been a waste for them.

Pulling this unretirement garbage is selfish to the extreme on Brett's part...he seems to think the world revolves around him.

Besides that, the Packers were doing him a favor trying to keep him retired. He's on the cover of Madden...and EVERY player who landed that cover promptly had a bad season. Well, except Barry Sanders...who retired all of a sudden...before playing a single down that season. If Brett plays this year, his legacy will be tarnished...even more than it already has been

You've got to be kidding. Johnson was chosen because Wilson said so. Everything else was a parade for the public. Wilson wanted to get his money out of RJ. With RJ starting the 2001 season, that was done. At least they knew what they had. And I think the same is being done with Losman. He may not be starting but he's still around.

You've got to be kidding. Johnson was chosen because Wilson said so. Everything else was a parade for the public. Wilson wanted to get his money out of RJ. With RJ starting the 2001 season, that was done. At least they knew what they had. And I think the same is being done with Losman. He may not be starting but he's still around.

I'm fergettin, which team do you root for now?

You've got to be kidding. Johnson was chosen because Wilson said so. Everything else was a parade for the public. Wilson wanted to get his money out of RJ.

Nice of you to ignore the fact that after 1998, Flutie was making MORE than Johnson...but hey...don't let your blind hatred of the Bills owner get in the way of your ignorance of the facts.

JP's still around for a few reasons.

1...Trent hasn't proven himself yet...as a good QB or someone who can remain healthy

2...JP's worth more as a backup QB than anything we were offered for him in trade