Oh Wise TV Guys

plenzmd1

Just looking for some opinions. Here be the situation.

I have close to a five year old Samsung DLP. Really like it, never had an issue with it, and fits the case where it sits to a T(prolly cause i had the built- in made to house it custom made lol). It sits in my family room, and I really do not watch much TV in there, I am usually on my porch.but my family does watch in there quite a bit, but I digress. Today, I start to hear a whirring sound that is pretty loud. After some investigation on the net, determine that based on how long it continues to make a noise after i shut the TV off, it is the color wheel and not the fan.

So heres my questions. Researched this quite a bit today, and it says you can replace the color wheel and ballast(?) on your own, parts about $200. Add in if I am back there, I would replace the lamp, parts another $200, and I am at $400 if i do the work myself.Now, lets just say that JP and Drew both had more pocket presence than I have mechanical ability, and I think I go the hire someone to do it route. Add in another $250 at a minimum, prolly more like $400. So's now I am at $700 minimum, but if i am going that route, I am going to get the thing calibrated by an ISF technician, so add in another $300, so I am at $1000. But, it would be like a brand new TV, with a calibrated picture that should be smoking hot, plus the fits perfectly thing.

Or, I could buy a new TV. The space can fit a 46 inch TV. What would you all do?

There are a lot of other things in there that can go wrong with a tv, so while spending all that money may make everything look great, there are still a lot of other parts in there that are 5 years old. Might as well get a whole new product if you are going to spend that much.

Yhx for the replys so far fellas.Just hurts to have spent close to $3400(includng 4 year warranty that expired in Dec) for the thing, and realize what it is worth today. Kicker is I was proud for once in my life for not being an early adopter when I bought the thing. But I guess whislt not on bleeding edge with the thing, it was still pretty early to be buying a HDTV. Oh well, got 5 good years out of it almost

So heres my questions. Researched this quite a bit today, and it says you can replace the color wheel and ballast(?) on your own, parts about $200. Add in if I am back there, I would replace the lamp, parts another $200, and I am at $400 if i do the work myself.Now, lets just say that JP and Drew both had more pocket presence than I have mechanical ability.

The parts a very easy to replace. If you are going the new TV route anyway, at least open the old one up and take a look. Locate the parts in question and see if you could do it yourself, I think you'll be surprised how easy it is. And paying someone $300 to calibrate your TV is a little crazy, that's another thing you can learn to do yourself. You spent time researching your issue, spend some time researching the optimal settings for your model. It's easy to say get a new TV when it's not your money, so asking here probably isn't going to give you the best answer...

And paying someone $300 to calibrate your TV is a little crazy, that's another thing you can learn to do yourself. You spent time researching your issue, spend some time researching the optimal settings for your model.

Well if it's being calibrated properly, they use tools that you probably don't have at home. You can get "close enough" on your own, but when I calibrated my projector they put sensors on the screen to measure the colors and brightness and such and were able to tweak it with software.

Well if it's being calibrated properly, they use tools that you probably don't have at home. You can get "close enough" on your own, but when I calibrated my projector they put sensors on the screen to measure the colors and brightness and such and were able to tweak it with software.

Yes, I know. And you can purchase some of the cheaper software and get it pretty close to perfect on your own.

Yes, I know. And you can purchase some of the cheaper software and get it pretty close to perfect on your own.

Is that right? When i bought this TV the only thing out there was that AVIA disk. Now, it got pretty close, but still, as a DVD, was could really only do the componet output as my DVD did not/does not have a HDMI/DVI interface. As you can guess, I do not watch a lot of DVDs lol. So are you saying there is software out there now that can do this.

In terms of replacement stuff, I may order the parts and give it a whirl and move the TV upstairs in the attic where the kids hang out. I just need to make sure I can send em back if I cannot do it, as the parts alone are $400.

There's more to it than just software -- there's hardware components to it as well.

I'd say that $300 is a bit much -- but I had my projector calibrated for about $150 and it was money well spent. Maybe not worth it for a $1000 TV, but if you have a really nice setup, why skimp?

Just make sure you're getting someone reputable who is doing a good job :lol: