Goodell won't reinstate Favre

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Packers are idiots? What am I missing here? Let's walk through this from the top....

Favre decided to retire when the season ended. He had been openly contemplating doing so for several seasons, seriously enough that the Packers spent a 1st round pick on Rodgers several years ago.

Then, in March, Favre changes his mind and tells them he wants to play. The Packers say "welcome back", and make all the necessary travel and other arrangements, only to have Favre change his mind again and tell them he's decided to stay retired.

So, the Packers have to move on. They draft a QB in the 2nd round, and another one later in the draft. They spend their entire offseason and minicamps retooling their offense to better suit the players currently on their roster, in particular Rodgers.

Now, essentially at the very last minute, after the Packers have spent millions of dollars making plans assuming Favre is no longer available, he jumps back in and says "I changed my mind. (again)"

How did you expect them to react? "Never mind we pissed away a 2nd round pick on a QB and spent our entire offseason preparing to move on without you." Get real. They're trying to run a business, and Favre is !@#$ing with them. Enough is enough.

What did the Packers management do wrong? Essentially nothing.

What did Favre do wrong? Pretty much everything.

Goodell, who is a businessman, recognizes that Favre has been outrageously unprofessional in how he has conducted himself in all of this, and is using his discretion to stall Favre's reinstatement for a few days/weeks hoping the matter can be resolved without further embarrassment to the league.

Thank you!!!! So nice to see someone with a brain. Favre is lucky the Packers are even talking to him, after the crap he's pulled. And the Union can kiss my blue collar butt, the pack of assmunches.

What was irresponsible on the Packers part is telling Brett he can not start for the Pack! The $12 million question is will the Packers be willing to pay that to Brett to sit on the bench & be a cancer in the locker room. If not Brett will get his wish & release.

I think we should release Jason Peters, so he can go to Miami and be paired with Jake Long

The Favre "Retirement Saga" has been going on for 3 years, ever since they drafted Aaron Rodgers. Ever since then the front office in GB has been saying, "OK Brett, any year now." Favre's rich so it's not about the money. He's also got every record known to man, just about, that a QB can hold so it's not about the record books. What it's about is a guy who LOVES TO PLAY THE GAME and wants to ride off into the sunset like Elway did. He wants a ring. Another ring that is. Can you blame the guy? He's coming off of one of the best years of his life, the only reason they didn't make the SB is because he choked it up in the NFC Championship, and he wants to redeem himself. Give'm a fair shot or release him so he can sign with a team that will beat GB twice in the regular season and maybe even in the playoffs if GB makes it. That's right, Minnesota.

The Favre "Retirement Saga" has been going on for 3 years, ever since they drafted Aaron Rodgers. Ever since then the front office in GB has been saying, "OK Brett, any year now." Favre's rich so it's not about the money. He's also got every record known to man, just about, that a QB can hold so it's not about the record books. What it's about is a guy who LOVES TO PLAY THE GAME and wants to ride off into the sunset like Elway did. He wants a ring. Another ring that is. Can you blame the guy? He's coming off of one of the best years of his life, the only reason they didn't make the SB is because he choked it up in the NFC Championship, and he wants to redeem himself. Give'm a fair shot or release him so he can sign with a team that will beat GB twice in the regular season and maybe even in the playoffs if GB makes it. That's right, Minnesota.

So if a top CEO retires, then decides it was a mistake, the company should just let him go elsewhere and run them out of business? That would be a smart move....... :blink:

No Adam, they've been trying to pressure him into retirement pretty heavily the last 2 seasons. He caved after last year and then said, "WTH, if the Packers don't want me as their QB I know I could play elsewhere." Your analogy doesn't quite hold the same grounds as this situation. Favre is not the head of an organization that holds that kind of power, he's a guy that was employed by one and has decided he wants to fulfill the obligations of the contract he signed (They presented him with) or play the game HE LOVES in a place that will appreciate having his services.

No Adam, they've been trying to pressure him into retirement pretty heavily the last 2 seasons. He caved after last year and then said, "WTH, if the Packers don't want me as their QB I know I could play elsewhere." Your analogy doesn't quite hold the same grounds as this situation. Favre is not the head of an organization that holds that kind of power, he's a guy that was employed by one and has decided he wants to fulfill the obligations of the contract he signed (They presented him with) or play the game HE LOVES in a place that will appreciate having his services.

He is under contract to the Green Bay Packers- he is their asset. His football future belongs to them. When Brock Lesnar left WWF for a football career and failed, he didn't have the option to go to another wrestling organization despite the fact that Vince did not bring him back. The Packers do not owe Favre anything. They have every right not to allow him to go somewhere where he can damage them. LIke it or not, the NFL is a business and what the Packers are doing makes perfect sense.

And if they see fit to pay the guy $12 million to ride the pine, so be it. He's just trying to do what he can to be able to line up under Center somewhere every Sunday in the 2008 season.

And if they see fit to pay the guy $12 million to ride the pine, so be it. He's just trying to do what he can to be able to line up under Center somewhere every Sunday in the 2008 season.

No, he's not. He's trying to force the Pack, to dictate where he'll line up under center this fall, he's not trying to find "somewhere" to play. There are teams that will take him, but they don't meet King Brett's standards.

If he really wants to play "for the love of the game" then he would sit down with the Pack and work out a deal to a team outside the NFC North who could be a legit playoff/SB contender with Brett under center.

He said if he can't play for the Packers, he wants to play in the division and against them. Thats not his call- he can go where the Packers ALLOW him to go.

It makes perfect sense to tell your HoF QB coming off a Pro Bowl season after leading your team to the NFC Championship game to "stay home" because we want to turn over the team to an unproven guy who's not been able to stay healthy for 5 snaps?

Yeah, that's perfect. :blink:

What are the Packers afraid of? That Favre is going to come in and be the best QB they've ever had for another season or 2? Oh, the humanity.

It makes perfect sense to tell your HoF QB coming off a Pro Bowl season after leading your team to the NFC Championship game to "stay home" because we want to turn over the team to an unproven guy who's not been able to stay healthy for 5 snaps?

Yeah, that's perfect. :blink:

What are the Packers afraid of? That Favre is going to come in and be the best QB they've ever had for another season or 2? Oh, the humanity.

Because Favre's decision affected the entire offseason. They made aquisitions based on the fact they wouldn't have him. The focus has been on transitioning to running a system that won't turn over the ball and running more, giving the defense the chance to win games especially in the cold weather.

Favre is a riverboat gambler who won't play into the system, why should they undo all of the changes they made and that the players bought into on Favre's whim? All of the players bought into the changes, and the Packers should upset all of that just months before the season- that would signify a lack of leadership and would lose the trust of the players who spent the offseason preparing for the changes.

I'm as big a fan of Favre as anyone, but he has to accept being the backup or go where the Packers allow him to go. His other option is to stay retired.

He said if he can't play for the Packers, he wants to play in the division and against them. Thats not his call- he can go where the Packers ALLOW him to go.

Well, if he's not worthy to be the Packers starter over , excuse me :blink: , Aaron Rodgers then what are they afraid of letting him walk for? If he wouldn't give their team a better chance at winning than, excuse me :blink: , Aaron Rodgers then why pay him $12 million to ride the pine? The whole thing is the Packers want Brett out of the way to see if they want to keep Aaron Rodgers and extend his contract or if they want to let him walk in another year or so. They don't want the guy to go somewhere else in FA and end up as a quality starter because they had Favre holding him off the field. That's the bottom line.

Because Favre's decision affected the entire offseason. They made aquisitions based on the fact they wouldn't have him. The focus has been on transitioning to running a system that won't turn over the ball and running more, giving the defense the chance to win games especially in the cold weather.

HALL OF FAME QUARTERBACK COMING OFF A SEASON WHEN THEY WENT TO THE NFC CHAMPIONSHIP GAME. Last time I checked, it's been a decade since the BILLS HoF QB retired and we're still waiting for a consistant guy to take snaps from center. But let's turn the team over to a guy who's never started a game because we "turned the page".

Who cares if they drafted 2 QBs? Care to gaze into your crystal ball and tell me which of the 2 guys they drafted are ever going to make it in the NFL? For that matter, if they were so sold on Rogers, why the hell did they take TWO QBs in this draft? I'm not sure what other things they've done to transition to a "running system", either.

And Favre was the guy who helped them transition to Ryan Grant last season after injuries decimated them. Do you honestly think that defenses were worried about friggin' Ryan Grant? Or was Ryan Grant and the patchwork OLine successful because Brett Favre kept defenses honest? This is an easy answer.

Favre is a riverboat gambler who won't play into the system, why should they undo all of the changes they made and that the players bought into on Favre's whim? All of the players bought into the changes, and the Packers should upset all of that just months before the season- that would signify a lack of leadership and would lose the trust of the players who spent the offseason preparing for the changes.

Based on what? Your insider knowledge of the team? :blink:

I'm as big a fan of Favre as anyone, but he has to accept being the backup or go where the Packers allow him to go. His other option is to stay retired.

You're right. A guy coming off a Pro Bowl season should take it lying down. It's really smart for teams to "declare" unproven players the starter at the game's most important position when there is a proven Vet SB winner available and ready. Right JP Losman?

The Packers are afraid of one thing: Rogers leaving before they figure out if he can play. Period.

HALL OF FAME QUARTERBACK COMING OFF A SEASON WHEN THEY WENT TO THE NFC CHAMPIONSHIP GAME. Last time I checked, it's been a decade since the BILLS HoF QB retired and we're still waiting for a consistant guy to take snaps from center. But let's turn the team over to a guy who's never started a game because we "turned the page".

There was a great stat related to this:

Since Brett Favre became the Green Bay starting QB, the Bears have started something like 28 players at QB (forgive me, I can't recall the actual number, but it was in that neighborhood.)

The point being, it's EXTREMELY difficult to find "your guy." Once you find him, you ride him. You don't pay him $20M to sit home.

The Packers did NOTHING to "focus on...running a system that won't turn over the ball and running more." They didn't add a RB or FB in FA or the draft, didn't re-sign Bubba Franks, who was an excellent blocker, and signed Ryan Grant to a huge money extension despite half a season starting and a horrible NFCCG (13 rushes for 29 yards, with 13 coming on one rush). Instead they drafted a WR and TE with their top-3 picks, and as a show of the faith they have in Rodgers, drafted Brian Brohm late in the 2nd.

The Packers are afraid of one thing: Rogers leaving before they figure out if he can play. Period.

Actually I think it's no less of an ego trip on Thompson's and McCarthy's parts, believing "we built this team, don't need Favre, and the guy we drafted can run it just as well." Except they hedged their bets by drafting Brohm in the 2nd.

Actually I think it's no less of an ego trip on Thompson's and McCarthy's parts, believing "we built this team, don't need Favre, and the guy we drafted can run it just as well." Except they hedged their bets by drafting Brohm in the 2nd.

Unquestionably. They simply can't admit they screwed this thing up from stem to stern. I can only imagine the fallout if they stick with this mess and keep Favre on the bench while getting out of the gate slowly.

Can you imagine if they get rolled by the Vikings week 1? It probably won't happen because Travaris will be taking snaps but that'd be a hoot.

Unquestionably. They simply can't admit they screwed this thing up from stem to stern. I can only imagine the fallout if they stick with this mess and keep Favre on the bench while getting out of the gate slowly.

As I alluded to in my previous post, if they miss the playoffs, and there's is a high likelihood of that, Thompson and McCarthy are done. If not dead.

Can you imagine if they get rolled by the Vikings week 1? It probably won't happen because Travaris will be taking snaps but that'd be a hoot.

I could see the Vikes rolling the Packers. With that Vikes DL (especially the addition of Jared Allen) against an inexperienced Rodgers, not to mention Peterson and Taylor against an aging DL that lost Corey Williams, it might not even matter if Tarvaris is the starter or not.