Anyone Have A Hi-Def Camcorder?

IDBillzFan

If we can leave this here a bit before dooming it to Consumer Death Valley, I'd appreciate it.

Intgerested to hear from anyone who may have a Hi-Def camcorder and what they think of it. Panasonic and Sony seem to have the more highly-rated devices, though Canon seems to have some nice options as well. I have a regular format 3CCD Panasonic that has been outstanding for me, so I lean toward the Panasonic HD model, but am open to hearing anyone's experience.

Anyone? Bueller?

I picked up the Sony HDR-SR5 while I was back in the States last year.

I LOVE it!

(This is the one with the 40GB built in hard-drive.)

The picture quality is outstanding and the hard-drive kicks butt. (You can record up to 15 hrs of hd on it)

We went on a 4 weeks camping trip around the South Island last Christmas, and I was able to easily record the whole damn trip without ever having to worry about memory.

My only complaint is that it doesn't have a standard viewfinder... only the LCD screen.

If you decide to go this route, may I recommend Sony's waterproof housing? I bought it for snorkling/diving and when I arrived in the mail, I couldn't believe how well it was built. The thing is bombproof. (The waterproof housing is also a lot larger than what I expected.)

I picked up the Sony HDR-SR5 while I was back in the States last year.

I LOVE it!

(This is the one with the 40GB built in hard-drive.)

The picture quality is outstanding and the hard-drive kicks butt. (You can record up to 15 hrs of hd on it)

We went on a 4 weeks camping trip around the South Island last Christmas, and I was able to easily record the whole damn trip without ever having to worry about memory.

My only complaint is that it doesn't have a standard viewfinder... only the LCD screen.

If you decide to go this route, may I recommend Sony's waterproof housing? I bought it for snorkling/diving and when I arrived in the mail, I couldn't believe how well it was built. The thing is bombproof. (The waterproof housing is also a lot larger than what I expected.)

Thanks for the input. I was surprised how many people get bummed about a lack of a viewfinder on a lot of the new camcorders because using the LCD screen sucks battery life, but I don't think I've ever used the viewfinder on my Panasonic. Typical, though, as I look for the SR5, I find the SR11, with 60GB, etc. Good looking camera. Any problem transferring to a HD or card?

Well, battery drain is one reason that the LCD (only) viewfinder is a poor design, however my main beef with it is that it's hard to see on sunny days and while using it underwater.

I am a serious (amateur) photographer and, I guess, I'm just used to having the "control" of looking through a true optical view finder.

While I'm here again, I might as well recommend getting the optional light (with great IR lights) that Sony offers (HVL-HIRL) along with a decent wide angle lens attachment.

The HD movies that I was able to capture of our time in Fiordland National Park, with the wide-angle lens, (viewed on our big screen TV) were AMAZING!! It felt like we were back there. (Most beautiful place on earth)

Oh yeah... Sony also sells a polarizing filter that helps in certain situations too.