Say WHAT?

Exxon Mobil once again reported the largest quarterly profit in U.S. history Thursday, posting net income of $11.68 billion on revenue of $138 billion in the second quarter.

That profit works out to $1,485.55 a second.

Buried in the story we also find that "In addition to making hefty profits, Exxon also had a hefty tax bill. Worldwide, the company paid $10.5 billion in income taxes in the second quarter, $9.5 billion in sales taxes, and over $12 billion in what it called 'other taxes.'"

In other words, Exxon Mobil paid $32.361 billion in taxes in the second quarter, which works out to $4,114 in taxes per second. Another way to look at it - Exxon paid almost $3 in taxes ($32.361 billion) for every $1 in profits ($11.68 billion)

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are the rudest poster I've ever seen on this board. It's no wonder PPP has the reputation it does.

WTF do you expect when you just flat out ignore any semblence of logic and reason? And you continue to do it in this post.....

We're still talking about 5 billion dollars of profit that they would never see!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So????? Your analysis was based on $52 billion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Newsflash: 10% profit is very much in line with the bulk of the S&P 500.

:unsure::lol:

You are the rudest poster I've ever seen on this board. It's no wonder PPP has the reputation it does.

You mean the reputation that there are meanies here that require people to back their arguments, and that simply pasting other people's opinions won't cut it after 2 or 3 tries?

There's always the off-topic board if you can't handle a debate.

Oh there are far, far worse than that!

Awww...that's the nicest thing I've heard from you in months! :unsure:

Seriously...am I wrong here? He makes this whole argument based on more faulty logic and errors that you can shake a stick at and the only response is that I'm rude?

p.s. Eryn -- don't forget to mention that oil companies are making 9.7% profit margins. Apparently now it's a crime to be too large a company, since simpletons can't see beyond numbers that have zero context (as we've seen from two posters on this page alone).

Seriously...am I wrong here? He makes this whole argument based on more faulty logic and errors that you can shake a stick at and the only response is that I'm rude?

Well, (s)he? could have called you out for being a Mets fan. But I digress. :unsure:

WTF do you expect when you just flat out ignore any semblence of logic and reason? And you continue to do it in this post.....

So????? Your analysis was based on $52 billion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Newsflash: 10% profit is very much in line with the bulk of the S&P 500.

You Fargin Ice hole!! You took my title. :lol:

QUOTE (lilorphanannie @ Aug 5 2008, 03:57 PM) post_snapback.gifYou are the rudest poster I've ever seen on this board. It's no wonder PPP has the reputation it does.

I'm not talking about the profit rate. I'm merely pointing out that big oil has much to lose by Americans cutting gas consumption and emphasizing efficiency.

Exxon Mobil once again reported the largest quarterly profit in U.S. history Thursday, posting net income of $11.68 billion on revenue of $138 billion in the second quarter.

That profit works out to $1,485.55 a second.

Buried in the story we also find that "In addition to making hefty profits, Exxon also had a hefty tax bill. Worldwide, the company paid $10.5 billion in income taxes in the second quarter, $9.5 billion in sales taxes, and over $12 billion in what it called 'other taxes.'"

In other words, Exxon Mobil paid $32.361 billion in taxes in the second quarter, which works out to $4,114 in taxes per second. Another way to look at it - Exxon paid almost $3 in taxes ($32.361 billion) for every $1 in profits ($11.68 billion)

This reminds me of the Chris Rock "I take care of my kids" bit.

I'm not talking about the profit rate. I'm merely pointing out that big oil has much to lose by Americans cutting gas consumption and emphasizing efficiency.

It won't matter an iota, because a) Americans aren't going to cut crap, b) there are people in the world other than Americans who need oil, c) oil companies aren't the ones selling you gasoline at the retail price, and d) states and feds have much more to lose when gas prices go down.

But go ahead and keep demonizing profit making companies, because the alternatives have been such rousing success stories.

Picard's dress uniform was a skirt.

Yes. A skirt.

The only skirt Kirk would be caught dead in is Elizabeth Taylor's.

Even Dr. Crusher wore slacks. Picard was a skirt-wearing tea-drinking friggin' French truffle-sniffing pooftah. Even Crusher > Picard.

Hell, WESLEY Crusher > Picard. That's just how gay Picard is.

It won't matter an iota, because a) Americans aren't going to cut crap, b)there are people in the world other than Americans who need oil, c) oil companies aren't the ones selling you gasoline at the retail price, and d) states and feds have much more to lose when gas prices go down.

But go ahead and keep demonizing profit making companies, because the alternatives have been such rousing success stories.

a) They already are

b) Then why are gas prices falling because of Americans driving less?

c) The profit margin for gas stations decreases as the cost of gas increases (credit card charges are based on the dollar amount of gas sold)

d) Explain please

Also people think that every barrel of oil goes to gasoline.

What about plastics?

Hell with plastics...note that the plan was to keep your tires properly inflated and change your oil.

Christ, people...where the !@#$ do you think motor oil comes from? :unsure::lol::lol:

Hell with plastics...note that the plan was to keep your tires properly inflated and change your oil.

Christ, people...where the !@#$ do you think motor oil comes from? :unsure::lol::lol:

Technically he said a tune-up, which if I understand it correctly, doesn't include changing the oil.

:unsure: Obama says "its like these guys take pride in being ignorant" and tells them to "do their homework", right after repeating the incorrect statement that we would save more oil than offshore drilling.

Sounds like Obama needs to practice what he preaches, just like in every other aspect of this campaign.

The difference is that it's 4 million gallons of gas per day that we can have tomorrow versus the 8.4 million per day that will be available at earliest 2017.

You know, I've been listening to the Dummycrats make that argument for 25 years. Is there a point when you !@#$ing people realize that steps HAVE to be taken NOW to ensure things are available in the future? Or should we just keep putting it off and praying like hell that scientists will figure out how to create a magic bean to fix the issue?

Democrat Energy Plan:

1. No Nukes

2. No Drilling

3. ?????????

4. Profit

Idiots.