Say WHAT?

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is what he said:

You Obamaians just can't admit that he's wrong at times. :unsure:

He's not wrong, 4 million times 365 times 9 = 13.14 billion gallons of gas that could be saved using Obama's suggestion before McCain's offshore drilling even produces one. But of course at 4$ per gallon that would cost McCain's oil company overlords over 52 billion dollars!

Estimates for fuel savings from vehicle maintenance, keeping tires properly inflated, and using the recommended grade of motor oil are based on studies and literature reviews performed by Energy and Environmental Analysis, Inc., Washington, DC.

Air filter savings based on Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD). 1981. Automobile Fuel Consumption in Actual Traffic Conditions. Paris, France. These tests were performed before the introduction of computer-controlled, fuel-injection engines. DOE is currently studying the fuel economy effects of clogged air filters on more modern engines.

He's not wrong, 4 million times 365 times 9 = 13.14 billion gallons of gas that could be saved using Obama's suggestion before McCain's offshore drilling even produces one. But of course at 4$ per gallon that would cost McCain's oil company overlords over 52 billion dollars!

Is that assuming that every car on the road today is running on underinflated tires?

Impressive post. You gotta work hard to pack that much ignorance and misinformation into 3 lines.

I'm not sure

:unsure:

Is that assuming that every car on the road today is running on underinflated tires?

I don't think those numbers are right. The US consumes about 400 million gallons of gas per day. That's only 146,000,000,000 (that's billions by the way) per year. There is no way that inflating your tires and getting an oil change is saving 10% of our gasoline consumption. At best it's 2-3%, AT BEST. Which is closer to a saving of about 3 billions gallons per year. Nothing to sneeze at but in the big picture very small.

In oil consumption assuming 19 gallons of gas per barrell it's about 230 million barrels a year saved or less then 1 million barrels a day. Even if estimates are that we could get 6 million barrels out of the ground a day easily with 3 years, that is going to have a much bigger effect than inflating your tires.

I don't think those numbers are right. The US consumes about 400 million gallons of gas per day. That's only 146,000,000,000 (that's billions by the way) per year. There is no way that inflating your tires and getting an oil change is saving 10% of our gasoline consumption. At best it's 2-3%, AT BEST. Which is closer to a saving of about 3 billions gallons per year. Nothing to sneeze at but in the big picture very small.

In oil consumption assuming 19 gallons of gas per barrell it's about 230 million barrels a year saved or less then 1 million barrels a day. Even if estimates are that we could get 6 million barrels out of the ground a day easily with 3 years, that is going to have a much bigger effect than inflating your tires.

4 million isn't 10 percent of 400 million, it's one percent.

4 million isn't 10 percent of 400 million, it's one percent.

You said :

Not sure where you got that times 9. But we would not save 13.14 billion gallons it would be like you said about 1% and I was being generous at 2%.

With one% it isn't even a half million barrels a day. You say the effect on the price when Saudi agreed to pump 600K barrels extra a day. Nothing.

Less then that will have no effect on price or availablity going forward.

Didn't you use to have a photoshopped morph picture of Bush/McCain with the caption John W McBush? Or am I confusing you with Pasta or Nozzlenut? Y'all look alike anyway

Not I... only political avatar I have ever had is the one I currently have.

I didn't hear that speech, but I am fairly certain that the tires comment had to be taken out of context (as things usually are in stupid presidential campaign years. Until something concrete can be done, every little thing can add up and help.

You said :

Not sure where you got that times 9. But we would not save 13.14 billion gallons it would be like you said about 1% and I was being generous at 2%.

With one% it isn't even a half million barrels a day. You say the effect on the price when Saudi agreed to pump 600K barrels extra a day. Nothing.

Less then that will have no effect on price or availablity going forward.

I think he's trying to say that we would be able to save this for 9 years before we would start to see any production from drilling.

2008 + 9 years = 2017 <--- The estimate he's going with before we start seeing oil from expanded drilling.

Uh, yes, he's wrong. 3.56 million gallons a day wasted in gas (the DOE's number) = 181,633 barrels a day wasted, or 66,296,045 a year. At that rate, it would take 271.51 years to reach the same amount as what is held in off-shore drilling. :unsure:

I think he's trying to say that we would be able to save this for 9 years before we would start to see any production from drilling.

2008 + 9 years = 2017 <--- The estimate he's going with before we start seeing oil from expanded drilling.

No read up above. They already have things in place where they can start pumping 6 million barrels a day extra in 3 years or less. 5 years is all they nead to stand up a lot more, and the shale processing would be by 2017.