What do we know about Peters' injury?

Mickey

Given the contract situation, there is a lot of speculation going on that Peters is really holding out because the injury is worse than thought or that the team is stalling on giving him a raise because of the injury. What do we know?

Here are the only tidbits I could find about his injury before the contract situation started all the speculation.

For comparision purposed, LJ Smith of the Eagles appears to have had the same surgery Peters had. Jason’s was in January while Smith's took place on May 31st. The injury is called athletic pupalgia, or "sports hernia". Smith is in camp and though he is taking it easy, he participated in full contact drills starting last Tuesday. Jason has had 5 more months to recover than Smith had.

Anyway, here are some quotes from last January:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After formally pulling out of the Pro Bowl, Bills left tackle Jason Peters will have surgery to repair a sports hernia. The procedure will be performed next Wednesday and is said to have a high success rate. The maximum recovery time is typically three months according to physicians that specialize in this kind of surgery.

Peters had been playing with a nagging groin injury through much of the second half of the season and exacerbated the injury when his right foot slid out from under him while blocking defensive end Osi Umenyiora in Buffalo's week 16 game with the Giants. He left the game and did not return. Peters also missed the season finale in Philadelphia.

"I'll be okay for the future and next season," said Peters in reference to the injury.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PETERS SURGERY SUCCESSFUL: Just got confirmation that Jason Peters surgery last week for his sports hernia was deemed a success. He had it last Wednesday in Philadelphia. Typical recovery time for this routine procedure is 8-10 weeks.

Bills players who have had the same procedure in the past couple of years include Ryan Neufeld, Josh Stamer and Mike Schneck.

So all we know really is that the procedure was a success, it was routine and that he has had way more time to recover than others who are back full speed.

Unless there is something else out there by way of proof, I don't see any grounds for speculating that his injury is the key to all this controversey.

If someone else has some proof that something went wrong with his surgery or his recovery apart from deducing "with geometric logic" (thank you Captain Queeg), that it must be so, please post it. That would certainly be a major issue if true.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless there is something else out there by way of proof, I don't see any grounds for speculating that his injury is the key to all this controversey.

If someone else has some proof that something went wrong with his surgery or his recovery apart from deducing "with geometric logic" (thank you Captain Queeg), that it must be so, please post it. That would certainly be a major issue if true.

Ok, given the information available, prove that it isn't a major issue.

The problem is that there is absolutly no proof that he can play at the same level that he did before the injury.

Why would the Bills take a chance on a $60MM investment, especially when the norm now is to guarantee a ton of money upfront.

All he needs to do is show up, play this season, and he'll be the highest paid lineman in the game.

I'm so sick of talking about this, but here's a link to the conversation a few topics down:

http://www.stadiumwall.com/index.php?s=&am...t&p=1083461

The injury speculation is just a vain attempt by some of us to find a reason for Peter's most unreasonable behavior.

Before we lose sight of the crux of the issue again: The Bills have stated they will renegotiate Peter's deal if he reports to camp. Peters has not only not reported to camp, but has not attended any team OTA's, or had any contact whatsoever since the end of last season with the Bills. Further, Eugene Parker, Peter's agent, has made no attempt to contact the Bills to request a new deal for his client. In fact everything the Bills know about Peters they had to read in the press.

Krazykat and his minions think Russ Brandon needs to crawl to Parker and Peters on all fours with an armored car full of cash, begging forgiveness for the insult of giving Peters a new deal 2 years ago, without knowing Peters physical condition post-surgery.

This is not an issue over whether Peters deserves a raise. The Bills agree he does. This is an issue of how you conduct yourself to your team and teammates. Rewarding Peters for acting like a selfish a**hole would be slap to the rest of the team.

PTR

The injury speculation is just a vain attempt by some of us to find a reason for Peter's most unreasonable behavior.

Before we lose sight of the crux of the issue again: The Bills have stated they will renegotiate Peter's deal if he reports to camp. Peters has not only not reported to camp, but has not attended any team OTA's, or had any contact whatsoever since the end of last season with the Bills. Further, Eugene Parker, Peter's agent, has made no attempt to contact the Bills to request a new deal for his client. In fact everything the Bills know about Peters they had to read in the press.

Krazykat and his minions think Russ Brandon needs to crawl to Parker and Peters on all fours with an armored car full of cash, begging forgiveness for the insult of giving Peters a new deal 2 years ago, without knowing Peters physical condition post-surgery.

This is not an issue over whether Peters deserves a raise. The Bills agree he does. This is an issue of how you conduct yourself to your team and teammates. Rewarding Peters for acting like a selfish a**hole would be slap to the rest of the team.

PTR

What does it tell the rest of the Bills players when they say "come in and we will reward you", and then he comes in and they say "We aren't going to reward you"?

This is really becoming one of the more foolish lines of reasoning in TBD history.

...and that is saying a lot! :thumbsup:

It all appears pretty simple to me: take one part underpaid emerging star, add one part new agent with a track record of clients holding out and seeking a new commission, shake together with a team on the rise that needs its best young players in camp, and pour over Ice in a chilled Krazy Kat glass. Garnish with fading playoff hopes, and several dashes of Bitters....

What does it tell the rest of the Bills players when they say "come in and we will reward you", and then he comes in and they say "We aren't going to reward you"?

Why are you assuming that will happen? Brandon already said they will renegotiate. Are you saying he's lying?

PTR

They have not said that yet, Kelly... and whether they will or not is pure speculation unless and until Peters comes to camp.

They have not said that yet, Kelly... and whether they will or not is pure speculation unless and until Peters comes to camp.

Those kind of posts really hurt your cred, Kelly. You're no longer arguing facts, just what you think will happen. So long as it backs your argument.

PTR

From Sal Maiorana...

A Bills official confirmed to me the other day that talks with Peters are almost non-existent and that the team is demanding he play at least this season under the five-year contract extension that he signed in 2006 which will pay him $3.25 million in base salary this year.

Those kind of posts really hurt your cred, Kelly. You're no longer arguing facts, just what you think will happen. So long as it backs your argument.

PTR

From Sal Maiorana... Do you actually think the Bills are going to make Peters the highest paid OL in the league this year? There is zero chance of that, IMO.

A Bills official confirmed to me the other day that talks with Peters are almost non-existent and that the team is demanding he play at least this season under the five-year contract extension that he signed in 2006 which will pay him $3.25 million in base salary this year.

To be fair and balanced, we have to agree that when they reward him is an open question... that is not the same as saying they will never reward him.

Of course. I definitely think they are going to reward him. I don't think there is much chance it will be this pre-season. Sure they will open negotiations. But do you really think they are going to pay top dollar right now? I think there is almost zero chance of that. And I don't think they should, until next year. But that doesn't mean I don't think the Bills are being coy and disingenuous about this.

Of course. I definitely think they are going to reward him. I don't think there is much chance it will be this pre-season. Sure they will open negotiations. But do you really think they are going to pay top dollar right now? I think there is almost zero chance of that. And I don't think they should, until next year. But that doesn't mean I don't think the Bills are being coy and disingenuous about this.

Honestly Kelly, I have no idea. I am unable to look into the souls of Russ Brandon or Jason Peters or Eugene Parker, and am not so good on looking into the future either. I do know that, as Promo said, negotiations can only begin when people negotiate, and I do not see how the Bills can be expected to say anything other than they have said. The Bills have stated their position: negotiations can only begin when Peters shows up. Peters and Parker need to state theirs, rather than having us all sit around guessing what they might have in mind. The rest is just noise.

Ok, given the information available, prove that it isn't a major issue.

So all that can't be disproven must be true?

First class thinking as always.

Suddenly, a lot of your posts begin to make sense.