Olympic Predictions

gmac17

I'm going to say there will be some scandal where a top athlete from a country other than china gets sick in a suspicious manner just before their event, and that the Chinese are suspected. (Did i read that the US will be bringing their own food and chefs?)

My Olympic watching will be very minimal...

limited interest this year

Me too. Kind of sad really, it used to be such a big deal to me, now I could give a rip.

My prediction...3 members of the Cuban boxing team will ask China for political asylum.

My prediction, people will win Gold, Silver and Bronze Medals. Tv stations will make us believe these athlets are national treasures and that the Olympics are meaningful and we should all care about them, we will be force fed even more advertisements for products, and a week after its over, no one will care or even remember who won or lost.

Oh, and China will be left trying to clean up the debt that holding an Olympics create for the local economy as they now try and figure out useful ways to use those elaborate venues they just built to make back some money

My prediction, people will win Gold, Silver and Bronze Medals. Tv stations will make us believe these athlets are national treasures and that the Olympics are meaningful and we should all care about them, we will be force fed even more advertisements for products, and a week after its over, no one will care or even remember who won or lost.

You forgot that the heroes will be shoved down the throat of anyone watching any NBC "news" broadcast for the next month.

I think the network coverage is just awful. Instead of showing live action (of anything), we get endless blabber from the talking heads about some athlete's "story". And God forbid they ever show a non-US athlete.

I'll watch a little (if they are actually showing something), but I'm more of a Winter Olympics fan anyway.

I predict it won't be as interesting as the winter olympics.

That's pretty much what I told my wife last night. I don't really think I'll watch much (if any at all) of this year's Olympics.

I predict the US will not win gold in basketball, we'll dominate women's softball, the opening ceremonies will take for-ev-er, Bob Costas will wax poetically about all kinds of stuff, the chick from Fredonia will win some sort of medal in pole vault and in the end most won't care about any of it anyway.

Oh yeah and Sketch will be "glued" to the TV watching the equestrian competition thinking "what if I had actually saved Pinkie Pie, that could be ME!"

Even though China set aside three areas for protesters, no protesters will be shown on TV. Instead we'll get lots of shots of the Great Wall and Peking Duck.

Don't forget to put in your request for permission to protest at least five days in advance, and please include your current home address. That ain't the half of it, either. No live interviews from Tienanmen Square, and they're censoring the Internets in the media center.

And a guy I know had his hotel room tossed -- twice -- while he was working on a story over there. Message to Jerry Sullivan, who will be covering the Olympics for the Buffalo News: safe travels, and watch your back.

I'm going to say there will be some scandal where a top athlete from a country other than china gets sick in a suspicious manner just before their event, and that the Chinese are suspected. (Did i read that the US will be bringing their own food and chefs?)

Will they also bringing their own air? I predict a run on SARS masks.

And a guy I know had his hotel room tossed -- twice -- while he was working on a story over there. Message to Jerry Sullivan, who will be covering the Olympics for the Buffalo News: safe travels, and watch your back.

how effd up is that? I can't wait to hear all the reporters writing stories about that when they get back home. What really needs to happen is for someone to put a hidden camera in their room and get video of their hard drive being copied, stuff being looked through or something.

It's disgusting how the IOC and the world at large has put money ahead of principle. While political dissidents have been rounded up, Tibetans have been barred from working in Beijing during the Olympics, and even the media is being scrutinized and blocked from internet sites like the Chinese public are, everyone who goes to the games, including Bush, is giving China the legitimacy they desire.

Even with all the bull sh-- mentioned in this thread about how bad the Olympics are. I'll probably still sit down and watch some it with my little girls and cheer for the old Red White and Blue.

U S A, U S A, U S A, U S A, U S A!!!!!! :thumbsup:

Don't forget, for those of you in Buffalo...

The frontrunner for the 2008 olympics was Toronto, and by all accounts their bid was the best. The IOC thought it had some political say or something, and decided to give it to Beijing so that they would stop pulling BS like censoring journalists and what not.

No matter how you feel about TO, it would be really cool to have the Olympics in our backyard. At least one venue I know of was going to be in St. Catherines...it never would have gotten closer to us here.

I probably will watch little to none of the Olympics. And that's sad to me.

In my childhood, I was so disappointed when President Carter boycotted the Moscow Games. In 1976, when I was 7, I watched with so much interest. Bruce Jenner became my hero (a side note...what the hell has happened to Bruce over the last 30 years...from Olympic glory to the step-father of the big-butted Bush's bee-yotch on a second-rate reality show? Michael Phelps, this is a cautionary tale for you.).

In 1984, I think I watched just about every minute that ABC broadcast of the games in Los Angeles. Except for the closing ceremony, because my family was on vacation and I didn't have access to a TV that night.

Over the last few years, I have grown much more fond of the Winter Olympics...I will watch the hockey games, and have developed an affinity for curling, biathalon, and ski-jumping as well. Can't wait until the Vancouver-Whistler games about a year and a half from now. :thumbsup:

Don't forget, for those of you in Buffalo...

The frontrunner for the 2008 olympics was Toronto, and by all accounts their bid was the best. The IOC thought it had some political say or something, and decided to give it to Beijing so that they would stop pulling BS like censoring journalists and what not.

No matter how you feel about TO, it would be really cool to have the Olympics in our backyard. At least one venue I know of was going to be in St. Catherines...it never would have gotten closer to us here.

Yup. That would have been the epitome of awesomeness.

And "opening up" China by giving them the Games has worked out SO well, no?

Don't forget to put in your request for permission to protest at least five days in advance, and please include your current home address. That ain't the half of it, either. No live interviews from Tienanmen Square, and they're censoring the Internets in the media center.

When we were over the last November, one hotel we stayed at, some rooms had a computer provided in them. The connection though was super slow, and apparently they have a filter on them to deny emails going through depending on what was mentioned in said email.