Does anyone here know..

The Bills can last all season...they just won't do as well. Peters can hold out probably until the end of training camp and I suspect he will, and that a contract will be signed just before the beginning of the regular season. I don't think either party feels a tremendous need to get 'er done right away. Its all just posturing and bull sh-- at this point

As long as when he comes back he's in shape and performs at last years level.

Tennesee,

That is my worry....

Say he holds out through training camp and comes back. Does everybody realize just what a injury risk this is going to be to him? People worry about him coming into came and getting injured in camp. I WORRY about him coming in late and trying to catch up on things doing too much and getting hurt anyway.

The life of an athlete (even a big 300 pound plus one) is different that of a everyday person.....

What's remarkable about his position is that if he wins, it really would have been worth it. It's a large bet, but unless Peters is spending his money like Travis Henry, he's got $3,000,000 in the bank from last year - even with an extravagant lifestyle, he's probably got at least a million left. That'll last him through quite a few 15,000 fines. If he holds out the entire season, gets traded, and gets a $7M contract - which would be a serious discount based on his missing the season - he'll have made back everything he's lost over the $3M salary he would have gotten in 2009. We're not in a great negotiating position here.

Gets traded? Why do you think the Bills are going to trade Peters? Reward him for being a d**khead? Not bloody likely. No. If Peters blows off 2008, the Bills will make let him rot and charge him every nickel in fines they can, and Peters can do nothing about it. Ever hear of being held by the short and curlies?

PTR

It is my understanding that the fines do not get enforced until Peters reports. In addition, the Bills have the option of enforcing the fines and determining the value of the fines.

Jason Peters is not sending the Bills a check for 15K every day.

I think fines are generally forgiven when the player signs. If he forces the Bills to trade him, then the Bills will send him a bill.

Gets traded? Why do you think the Bills are going to trade Peters? Reward him for being a d**khead? Not bloody likely. No. If Peters blows off 2008, the Bills will make let him rot and charge him every nickel in fines they can, and Peters can do nothing about it. Ever hear of being held by the short and curlies?

PTR

Peters can show up and then feign an injury or just be a general pain in the ass to management. The Bills can't prevent him from coming to camp or being with the team as long as he stays within certain guidelines of conduct, which can be negotiated around by an objector. The Bills will eventually cave and feel forced to deal him. Since Levy was hired they have shown a tendency to jettison unhappy players ASAP. I would hope it doesn't come to anything like that, but it could. And that's the additional leverage great players have. A guy like JP Losman couldn't pull it off last winter, because there wasn't much interest in him as it was. Peters could run someone over on Chippewa with his luxury SUV, leave the scene and not cooperate with police and still half the league would offer up a first round pick for him and be lined up to make him the highest paid OT in football.

IMO, if the Bills and Peters get things done, great. If not, oh well. Just like dealing with an injury. The tailgate party at lot 1 Pole 5 will not be a holdout this season. However, I will say this much: hold outs often coincide with early season injuries and poor performance. Peters is NOT a Jackie Slater, he has had his share of injuries at Arkansas and with Buffalo, and showing up at the last minute and playing catchup is asking for an injury.

Peters can show up and then feign an injury or just be a general pain in the ass to management. The Bills can't prevent him from coming to camp or being with the team as long as he stays within certain guidelines of conduct, which can be negotiated around by an objector. The Bills will eventually cave and feel forced to deal him. Since Levy was hired they have shown a tendency to jettison unhappy players ASAP. I would hope it doesn't come to anything like that, but it could. And that's the additional leverage great players have. A guy like JP Losman couldn't pull it off last winter, because there wasn't much interest in him as it was. Peters could run someone over on Chippewa with his luxury SUV, leave the scene and not cooperate with police and still half the league would offer up a first round pick for him and be lined up to make him the highest paid OT in football.

IMO, if the Bills and Peters get things done, great. If not, oh well. Just like dealing with an injury. The tailgate party at lot 1 Pole 5 will not be a holdout this season. However, I will say this much: hold outs often coincide with early season injuries and poor performance. Peters is NOT a Jackie Slater, he has had his share of injuries at Arkansas and with Buffalo, and showing up at the last minute and playing catchup is asking for an injury.

Valid points all around, although I'd certainly rather watch the team with him than without him. God, I hope you're wrong about the holdout setting him up for potential injury, but I agree -- it happens too often to be mere coincidence.

Hard to imagine we still have a month until the first home game ...

The Bills don't have to do anything. What's more, if Peters skips a year then that year doesn't count against his contract, so he would still owe the Bills 3 years of service. And if he's not playing, the Bills don't owe him a cent but still hold his rights. That's why Peters actions make no sense. How much value would Peters have to any team if he misses a year? It's also very fishy that he's had absolutely no contact with the Bills since his groin surgery last year.

PTR

If Peters skips a year this team may have a new coach next year. I can see Brandon getting axed too if that happens.

Valid points all around, although I'd certainly rather watch the team with him than without him. God, I hope you're wrong about the holdout setting him up for potential injury, but I agree -- it happens too often to be mere coincidence.

Hard to imagine we still have a month until the first home game ...

Yeah, kinda scary thinking about Walker and Chambers being the bookends for an already problematic line.

But only a week until we're watching 'em play the Redskins! :thumbsup:

23 and 0 baby!!!! :blink:

GO BILLSSS!!!!

For me, that just means all the work with none of the (tailgating) fun ...

Its 15K per day for every day of training camp/preseason missed, and then if he still doesn't report when the season begins, the fines stop, but he gets his game check withheld, which is about $187K

Let's see how long Peters sits out once he starts losing $187K per week...I don't care how much cheddar you are making...that is a HUGE amount of money to lose, and will most definitely spell the end of his holdout...

Then again, 15K is a lot of money to lose each day, and when you add it up it would equal 105K per week...

Now, I am not a pro athlete making millions, but mama didn't raise any dummies either...I think I would be riding my bike there if I had to once the 15K per day fines start rolling out...its not like he is Bill Gates or something...3 million just isn't THAT much money to be throwing it away like that...

Besides, I really don't understand what he is trying to accomplish. The Bills have a track record recently of taking care of their guys they want to keep in the fold, and I am pretty certain he is one of those guys. Once the team officially came out and basically said they are not negotiating at all until he reports to camp, he should have got his butt in there ASAP. Him holding out longer is just not going to do anything except cost him money...Mr. Wilson is old school and is not letting a player control his business by holding out. Once he reports, I am pretty sure something would be worked out in quick fashion. Peters is really coming off as a selfish jerk right now, and even Whitner didn't really sound too happy about when asked a question regarding it. The Bills made it crystal clear that when he comes back to practice, they will be happy to talk to him, but under no circumstances are they going to negotiate until he does. So now the only reason Peters could be holding out is for his pride or something. This whole thing has just been handled the totally wrong way by Peters and his agent. You don't just not communicate at all and stay away. I mean if you want a new contract, wouldn't you at least contact the Bills and talk to them? Apparently this hasn't even happened and Peters' camp has sent out a "roadmap of silence". Exactly how is a contract supposed to get done this way? Are they planning to have a silent auction or something? I feel Peters is really getting some bad advice from his agent in this situation, and he is only hurting himself...

The sooner he gets back to camp, the better it will be for all parties concerned, and if I were him I would dump that agent ASAP...

Actually, what Brandon said is they expect him to honor the commitment, ie the contract, he made two years ago. They said, with regard to whether they would re-negotiate, they would "never say never". Not exactly a committment is it? Why on earth would him coming to camp be the dealbreaker? You mean to tell me that they are willing to pay him millions more but only if he is in Pittsford??? That sticking point is not the millions but his current zip code??? All hold outs that end with a contract are negotiated with the player not being in camp, that is why they call it a hold out. I am betting the problem is the $$$$ not his absence from camp.