Quick question

Gordio

Okay, monday night playing softball I separated my shoulder diving for a ball in left field. Very painfull. Could not move my right arm at all & actually had to be taken to the hospital by an ambulance. Once I got there, I had to wait in the emergency room for over an hour while I was in more pain then I ever thought imaginable, but I digress.

So, they give me an IV, put me under & pop it back in. The doc told me it was so painfull because I had what he called an inferior separation, which means I popped it out from the bottom instead of the top. Said it was very rare. So I go to the ortho yesterday & he kinda got me scared. Saying it is going to take full rehab but you should have most mobility back but would not give me a guaranty on it.

My question is, has anybody else separated their shoulder, & is their any long term effects from this? I like to play alot of sports. Basketball, softball, hockey, golf. He told me already no ice hockey until next spring, I am done with softball for the year & I could possibly play golf towards the end of sept. Needless to say I am a little bummed out right now.

& I know I am an idiot diving for a ball in a bar league softball game. My wife has told me that about 500 times already.

Okay, monday night playing softball I separated my shoulder diving for a ball in left field. Very painfull. Could not move my right arm at all & actually had to be taken to the hospital by an ambulance. Once I got there, I had to wait in the emergency room for over an hour while I was in more pain then I ever thought imaginable, but I digress.

So, they give me an IV, put me under & pop it back in. The doc told me it was so painfull because I had what he called an inferior separation, which means I popped it out from the bottom instead of the top. Said it was very rare. So I go to the ortho yesterday & he kinda got me scared. Saying it is going to take full rehab but you should have most mobility back but would not give me a guaranty on it.

My question is, has anybody else separated their shoulder, & is their any long term effects from this? I like to play alot of sports. Basketball, softball, hockey, golf. He told me already no ice hockey until next spring, I am done with softball for the year & I could possibly play golf towards the end of sept. Needless to say I am a little bummed out right now.

& I know I am an idiot diving for a ball in a bar league softball game. My wife has told me that about 500 times already.

Did you make the catch?

seriously get well soon

Did you make the catch?

seriously get well soon

No I did not. Hit the ground & it popped out of my glove. At that moment though, I was in so much pain I really did not care if I ever caught another ball again the rest of my life.

No I did not. Hit the ground & it popped out of my glove. At that moment though, I was in so much pain I really did not care if I ever caught another ball again the rest of my life.

I can imagine, I just had surgery to clean up my rotator cuff and that sucked, couldn't imagine doing the damage you did

I can imagine, I just had surgery to clean up my rotator cuff and that sucked, couldn't imagine doing the damage you did

It was rough. It feels okay now, I have it in a sling. But before they popped it back in & gave me some pain meds, I was in more pain then I have ever been in in my entire life. Not that I have a real high threshold for pain or anything, but man that hurt.

It was rough. It feels okay now, I have it in a sling. But before they popped it back in & gave me some pain meds, I was in more pain then I have ever been in in my entire life. Not that I have a real high threshold for pain or anything, but man that hurt.

Was there any ligament damage? Did the doctor suggest surgery? My 26 year brother had a type 4 AC joint separation a few months ago. He opted for surgery because he is young, although the doctor said if you're older it might not be worth it. In his case, with or without surgery the shoulder may never be the same again, but obviously your likelihood for a full recovery goes WAY up if you have surgery and rehab it.

People use the terms "separation" and "dislocation" interchangeably, so I'm not sure if my situation was the same. I was a chronic dislocator (my shoulder popped out of joint about 30 times before I had surgery). Per the web:

A shoulder dislocation is an injury that occurs when the top of the arm bone loses contact with the shoulder blade. This injury is often confused with a shoulder separation, but these are two very different injuries! A shoulder separation is an injury to ligament between the shoulder blade and collar bone. It is important to distinguish between these two problems because the issues with management and treatment are different.

Now - if my arm would get jammed, my shoulder would dislocate with the result being my ball joint, next to the socket. To put it back in place, the doctor would have to tug on my arm. Both being out of joint and putting it back was painful as hell!!! Also - if it was a dislocation, it is more than likely to happen again as the ligaments that wrap the joint are loose.

I eventually had surgery and NINE MONTHS OF REHAB. While I lost some mobility I played softball for a number of years, continue to play golf, etc.

Oh and for the record - the last time mine ever popped out - I was diving for a softball :D .

Was there any ligament damage? Did the doctor suggest surgery? My 26 year brother had a type 4 AC joint separation a few months ago. He opted for surgery because he is young, although the doctor said if you're older it might not be worth it. In his case, with or without surgery the shoulder may never be the same again, but obviously your likelihood for a full recovery goes WAY up if you have surgery and rehab it.

There was no ligament damge but there was a hairline facture in the shoulderr. He said it was a good sign that there was no ligament damage & that he was 99% sure I would not require surgery.

GET SOME NUTS!!

People use the terms "separation" and "dislocation" interchangeably, so I'm not sure if my situation was the same. I was a chronic dislocator (my shoulder popped out of joint about 30 times before I had surgery). Per the web:

A shoulder dislocation is an injury that occurs when the top of the arm bone loses contact with the shoulder blade. This injury is often confused with a shoulder separation, but these are two very different injuries! A shoulder separation is an injury to ligament between the shoulder blade and collar bone. It is important to distinguish between these two problems because the issues with management and treatment are different.

Now - if my arm would get jammed, my shoulder would dislocate with the result being my ball joint, next to the socket. To put it back in place, the doctor would have to tug on my arm. Both being out of joint and putting it back was painful as hell!!! Also - if it was a dislocation, it is more than likely to happen again as the ligaments that wrap the joint are loose.

I eventually had surgery and NINE MONTHS OF REHAB. While I lost some mobility I played softball for a number of years, continue to play golf, etc.

Oh and for the record - the last time mine ever popped out - I was diving for a softball :D .

This is the first time something like this has ever happened to me. My hope in the future is that this is not going to be a reoccurring problem now. From what I have been told, once you do it once you are more likely to have it happen again. The sports aspect, I just enjoy playing all different sport & want to continue without having any soreness or what have you. Because in the future it continues to be sore or happen again from playing sports, I will probably stop playing them. It is not like the MLB or the NHL are knocking down my door LOL. I am 35 years old.

GET SOME NUTS!!

I really do not think you have a full understanding of how much pain I was in. Have you ever seen a 35 year old man cry in extreme pain in the middle of a softball diamond in front of his 4yr old son. Well that was me monday night. LOL

Go out of your way to do whatever they tell you to in rehab/PT. Shoulders are pretty complex so there are probably going to be lingering effects for quite a while. I messed mine up back in December, nothing anywhere near what you did, and even after finishing PT a while back, it still has its random quirks. I'm assuming that will last for quite a while, but I've got more than enough time before I find that out for sure.

Mine was supposedly a rotator cuff injury, but I have my doubts since I don't feel like they checked up on things as well as they should have. But anyway, with all the muscles coming together in that general area, there are bound to be plenty of minor issues.