Bills coming to town.

GeoGiant

Hello! Good luck this weekend! Buffalo is a great town to see a football game – knowledgeable football fans. I am a Baltimore fan looking for an honest assessment from Bills fan(s) about the game. I know the Bills do not have a winning record but they seem to have a lot of talent. If the Bills shut down the run, the Raven’s are finished. Boller, as much I want him to succeed, has happy feet in the pocket. Boller has yet to hit a receiver in stride beyond 25 yards. The Baltimore Defense is solid but they play aggressive so they are susceptible to the long ball. Baltimore is favored by 5.5 – I would not expect Baltimore to win much less cover. What is the story with Bills record?

Hello!  Good luck this weekend!  Buffalo is a great town to see a football game – knowledgeable football fans.  I am a Baltimore fan looking for an honest assessment from Bills fan(s) about the game.  I know the Bills do not have a winning record but they seem to have a lot of talent.  If the Bills shut down the run, the Raven’s are finished.  Boller, as much I want him to succeed, has happy feet in the pocket.  Boller has yet to hit a receiver in stride beyond 25 yards.  The Baltimore Defense is solid but they play aggressive so they are susceptible to the long ball.  Baltimore is favored by 5.5 – I would not expect Baltimore to win much less cover.  What is the story with Bills record?

75794[/snapback]

Welcome to the wall. The Bills offense has looked horrible in the Oakland and 3 quarters of the Jets game. They had their best game with the emergence of Willis Macgahee last Sunday against a very bad team so the jury is still out. The Defense has played better except in crucial situations like late in the 4th quarter that has cost us games. Were short a DE and at left gaurd. Their away record for the last year is really bad, but I still think we have a chance in this game if the offense can deal with a very good Ravens defense.

Welcome to the Wall. Do you live in the Baltimore area? If so, you're more than welcome to come to the tailgate for the game. Check the pinned thread at the top of this forum.

As for your Ravens, Boller isn't as good as they thought he was. I wonder if they regret not taking Leftwich when they had the chance. Also, your WRs just plain stink and have stunk for years! When's the last time one ever reached the Pro Bowl? Michael Jackson? That's been one of Billick's worst moves, I think: not getting a go-to guy for his young QBs (Redman, Boller) to work with. Your defense is tough and, like you said, they take risks due to their talent level (with Ed Reed at safety, you do tend to gamble more, as would most teams with a star player like that). That can hurt a team, but Baltimore hasn't been burned too badly so far. I think this will be a close game, but the Bills will have to be mistake free to come away with a win.

Welcome to the wall. The Bills offense has looked horrible in the Oakland and 3 quarters of the Jets game. They had their best game with the emergence of Willis Macgahee last Sunday against a very bad team so the jury is still out. The Defense has played better except in crucial situations like late in the 4th quarter that has cost us games. Were short a DE and at left gaurd. Their away record for the last year is really bad, but I still think we have a chance in this game if the offense can deal with a very good Ravens defense.

75802[/snapback]

From your post it sounds like it is going to be a field position game. The problem Baltimore will have is Taylor and Smith covering for Lewis – the pass blocking is bad enough, but it should get worse when Smith is in. Smith was touted as the next Lewis, but he has shown little talent against first-string defenses in pre season games. Baltimore will be playing without Heap again, which is a killer for the O.

Welcome to the Wall.  Do you live in the Baltimore area?  If so, you're more than welcome to come to the tailgate for the game.  Check the pinned thread at the top of this forum.

As for your Ravens, Boller isn't as good as they thought he was.  I wonder if they regret not taking Leftwich when they had the chance.  Also, your WRs just plain stink and have stunk for years!  When's the last time one ever reached the Pro Bowl?  Michael Jackson?  That's been one of Billick's worst moves, I think:  not getting a go-to guy for his young QBs (Redman, Boller) to work with.  Your defense is tough and, like you said, they take risks due to their talent level (with Ed Reed at safety, you do tend to gamble more, as would most teams with a star player like that).  That can hurt a team, but Baltimore hasn't been burned too badly so far.  I think this will be a close game, but the Bills will have to be mistake free to come away with a win.

75834[/snapback]

I am from Baltimore but now reside 1-hour north in Lancaster, PA. I think Baltimore would have gotten Leftwich if Minnesota had approved the trade in time – if you remember that year, Minnesota ran out time and picked later. Boller was the default pick. Again I would love to see Boller make it but he does not seem to have the tangibles. I was not a Boller fan when he was college. When you watch college film on him, he seems to be making the erratic play only now he is playing against a much higher quality of player. I think Raven’s fans would be happier with the Boller situation if we had not mortgaged the future to get him – as a Bills fan you had to hate to see the Pats on the up side of that trade. Baltimore has not had a solid receiver since Michael Jackson (he still holds the most receiving yards record for the team). Travis Taylor has been a first round bust. Other than Taylor, we have not picked another first round receiver under Billick nor have had a 1,00 yard receiver. The only FAs Baltimore gets are number 3 receivers that have been cut by other teams.

Hello!  Good luck this weekend!  Buffalo is a great town to see a football game – knowledgeable football fans.  I am a Baltimore fan looking for an honest assessment from Bills fan(s) about the game.  I know the Bills do not have a winning record but they seem to have a lot of talent.  If the Bills shut down the run, the Raven’s are finished.  Boller, as much I want him to succeed, has happy feet in the pocket.  Boller has yet to hit a receiver in stride beyond 25 yards.  The Baltimore Defense is solid but they play aggressive so they are susceptible to the long ball.  Baltimore is favored by 5.5 – I would not expect Baltimore to win much less cover.  What is the story with Bills record?

75794[/snapback]

You could get a million responses to this, and they'd all be different.

I'm one of those asssholes who thinks we're better than our record indicates, and will continue to get better because...at least to me...the Bills tend to shoot themselves in the foot when they have a chance to seal the deal. We've beaten ourselves more than teams have beaten us, but when we eliminate those penalties and mistakes, we're pretty damn good.

That's not to say we don't have our problems, but I like our chances against Baltimore primarily because your two biggest offensive weapons...Heap/Lewis...are out, and I've seen the happy feet of Boller, particularly when you're trying to play catch-up ball.

Can you do me a favor? I think Baltimore's worst game this year came against KC, who really picked apart what is a normally outstanding defense. Could you recap your take on that game in terms of what KC did that was so successful. I saw a lot of short crossing patterns that worked very well against your D. Did I interpret that right?

By the way...welcome to TBD. Knowledgeable fans always welcome.

You could get a million responses to this, and they'd all be different.

I'm one of those asssholes who thinks we're better than our record indicates, and will continue to get better because...at least to me...the Bills tend to shoot themselves in the foot when they have a chance to seal the deal. We've beaten ourselves more than teams have beaten us, but when we eliminate those penalties and mistakes, we're pretty damn good.

That's not to say we don't have our problems, but I like our chances against Baltimore primarily because your two biggest offensive weapons...Heap/Lewis...are out, and I've seen the happy feet of Boller, particularly when you're trying to play catch-up ball.

Can you do me a favor? I think Baltimore's worst game this year came against KC, who really picked apart what is a normally outstanding defense. Could you recap your take on that game in terms of what KC did that was so successful. I saw a lot of short crossing patterns that worked very well against your D. Did I interpret that right?

By the way...welcome to TBD. Knowledgeable fans always welcome.

75872[/snapback]

KC or any other accurate passer kills the D. If the Bills keep to short passes across the middle when Baltimore blitzes or throws to the sidelines in non-blitz situations they will chew up the clock. T. Green ate the D up doing that. If he sees blitz, short drop over the middle for 4 – 6 yards. If no blitz, the receivers ran 6 – 8 yards up the sideline and Trent threw to the side away from the defender – if the defender makes a play on the ball and misses, the receiver turns up field to get another 5 before the safety makes the tackle. These short passes drive the D crazy and two things happen: (1) the safeties will shift forward when the ball is snapped and someone from the O will slip into the backfield or (2) the secondary will move into a prevent type of D and let the RB rack up 5 & 6 yard gains. Simple pitch and catch right down the field.

That's been one of Billick's worst moves, I think:  not getting a go-to guy for his young QBs (Redman, Boller) to work with.

75834[/snapback]

What about TO? They had him but TO complained his way to Philly. Pretty cheap if you ask me.

I am from Baltimore but now reside 1-hour north in Lancaster, PA.  I think Baltimore would have gotten Leftwich if Minnesota had approved the trade in time – if you remember that year, Minnesota ran out time and picked later.  Boller was the default pick.  Again I would love to see Boller make it but he does not seem to have the tangibles.  I was not a Boller fan when he was college.  When you watch college film on him, he seems to be making the erratic play only now he is playing against a much higher quality of player.  I think Raven’s fans would be happier with the Boller situation if we had not mortgaged the future to get him – as a Bills fan you had to hate to see the Pats on the up side of that trade.  Baltimore has not had a solid receiver since Michael Jackson (he still holds the most receiving yards record for the team).  Travis Taylor has been a first round bust.  Other than Taylor, we have not picked another first round receiver under Billick nor have had a 1,00 yard receiver.  The only FAs Baltimore gets are number 3 receivers that have been cut by other teams.

75861[/snapback]

Hey Geo, We used to have family vacations for several years in the mid-seventies. It was some of the best times of my life (my brother died in 1979)...We always stayed at a place called "The Host Farm." The place was awesome we had so much fun at that resort. What is Lancaster like 2-Day?Those were great times because I didn't know what was going to happen.

Hey Geo, We used to have family vacations for several years in the mid-seventies. It was some of the best times of my life (my brother died in 1979)...We always stayed at a place called "The Host Farm." The place was awesome we had so much fun at that resort. What is Lancaster like 2-Day?Those were great times because I didn't know what was going to happen.

76104[/snapback]

Lancaster, Pa is great. I had my fill of Baltimore. Most of family has left the area. I came here to go to Millersville University and have been here ever since. Lancaster is 2.5 hours from the Delaware / Maryland breaches, 3 hours from NYC and 1 hour from Philly & Baltimore. I can go see an Orioles game during the week and still get home at a reasonable time. I never heard of the place you mentioned but there are a lot of places to stay on the east end of town – Amish country – that I am not familiar with. I live on the west end in near the Susquehanna River.

My brother lives in Hershey and commutes to Philly by train every day. That's about a half hour from you isn't it?

I expect a defensive struggle. Turnovers are a likely key. Whether or not Drew Bledsoe can throw deep will depend on his protection. The downfall of the Bills in the second and third games, especially the Oakland game was the inability to pick up blitzes. It wasn't just the line, it was backs and philosophy too. They've gotten better, but Baltimore presents a huge challenge.

The Bills are improving overall, which is to be expected with a new coach and a new offensive system. One factor in the Bills' four losses is that, based on opponents' win/loss record so far this season, Buffalo had the toughest schedule in the league through the first four games. Two of those first four opponents are still among the leagues three undefeated teams.

Lancaster, Pa is great.  I had my fill of Baltimore.  Most of family has left the area.  I came here to go to Millersville University and have been here ever since.  Lancaster is 2.5 hours from the Delaware / Maryland breaches, 3 hours from NYC and 1 hour from Philly & Baltimore.  I can go see an Orioles game during the week and still get home at a reasonable time.  I never heard of the place you mentioned but there are a lot of places to stay on the east end of town – Amish country – that I am not familiar with.  I live on the west end in near the Susquehanna River.

76151[/snapback]

Maybe they just changed th name from "Host Farm" to something else, anyway we loved Lancaster and I would say good luck on Sunday but that would be in-sincere and just plain fake. You love the Ravens and I love the Bills let's just leave it at that. I enjoyed talking with you and you welcome here anytime bro. Good luck AFTER Sunday

Hello and welcome.

Imo, this is a tough game to call taking into account your injurues. Btw, is Ogden healthy?

The Bills have a highly paid and underachieving offensive line. That said, they looked pretty good vs the dolphins, not a bad defense. If our OL plays well, we can be a tough football team. Evans opens the field with his speed and makes it easier for Drew to find Moulds.

You saw the stats on MaGahee. I obviously hope that he plays. If you see Henry starting, be happy because he will be sure to miss blocks, drop passes, slip down and probably run wrong routes.

In summary, if the OL continues to improve, and Henry sees limited time, the Bills can be tough.

On defense, the Bills are a pretty good team. Our weaknesses have been pass rush from the DEs and bad safeties, but Schobel had 2 sacks on Sunday. I know Ogden is great, but I am not familiar with the rest of your blockers. Suffice it to say that if we can pressure the qb, we are tough to run on.

Imo, the game could go either way.

Lancaster, Pa is great.  I had my fill of Baltimore.  Most of family has left the area.  I came here to go to Millersville University and have been here ever since.  Lancaster is 2.5 hours from the Delaware / Maryland breaches, 3 hours from NYC and 1 hour from Philly & Baltimore.  I can go see an Orioles game during the week and still get home at a reasonable time.  I never heard of the place you mentioned but there are a lot of places to stay on the east end of town – Amish country – that I am not familiar with.  I live on the west end in near the Susquehanna River.

76151[/snapback]

The 'Ville? I work at the 'Ville! Deep in the heart of south-central Pennsyltucky!

The game Sunday should be a good one if, from the Bills perspective, the OLs can keep Ray Lewis & friends from tearing Bledsoe into a you-know-what. They have to win the TO battle and not make the kind of STUPID PENALTIES and other assorted mental miscues that hurt them dearly the first four games. The Bills offense did a nice job "finishing" Dieami Sunday, but the defense has to start doing it--not sealing the deal cost them the Jax (still smarts) and Dog-Ass Jet games.

Too bad for the Ravens if Todd Heap can't go...he's a good TE. Will Boller ever pan out as a decent QB? The jury is out on him. Have a world of respect for RL, Reed and McAllister.

KC or any other accurate passer kills the D.  If the Bills keep to short passes across the middle when Baltimore blitzes or throws to the sidelines in non-blitz situations they will chew up the clock.  T. Green ate the D up doing that.  If he sees blitz, short drop over the middle for 4 – 6 yards.  If no blitz, the receivers ran 6 – 8 yards up the sideline and Trent threw to the side away from the defender – if the defender makes a play on the ball and misses, the receiver turns up field to get another 5 before the safety makes the tackle.  These short passes drive the D crazy and two things happen: (1) the safeties will shift forward when the ball is snapped and someone from the O will slip into the backfield or (2) the secondary will move into a prevent type of D and let the RB rack up 5 & 6 yard gains.  Simple pitch and catch right down the field.

75981[/snapback]

This is exactly where the Bills are week. Quit hitting short passes. I see this game as a match of which defense can create more turnovers. I see both getting a lot of opportunities. Whichever team capitalizes the most will win. Warning: The defenses may have to actually return the turnovers for scores to ensure any points.