EARTHQUAKE!

Chef Jim

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The reason I take a shot at WNY when something like this happens here is because so many people say that yes the weather in CA may be great but you have those terrible earthquakes. That usually comes from someone who has never experienced one. I'm just saying that I just experienced one and I still take CA over WNY. And don't worry, you'll be shoveling snow soon enough. :wallbash:

Oh, and happy you're having great weather. But how are those moquitos? :P

What is wrong with shoveling snow?... I actually like it... It is the best time of the year, one is outside and doing some nice manual labor and being productive... I would take it a million times over doing other types of chores, especially mowing grass... I have said it before, it really floors me how some will get all bent over keeping their grass manicured and yet, for the life of them will not shovel snow! :devil:;) What purpose does a "nice" lawn serve besides a "pretty view"... How practical is a "nice" lawn?... It is actually rather expense and very labor intensive far over shoveling snow for a practical reason (so you don't get stuck).

Just get a shovel and do some work.

It just goes to show you that most people hate doing "work." It is "beneath" many people. Yet, people will slam one thing over the next.

Snow is one of the easiest things to work with... Just go out and clear a path and don't come back until it is done.

How did this whole "I hate snow thing" actually get started? Like I said, it is a very fun part of life!

The reason I take a shot at WNY when something like this happens here is because so many people say that yes the weather in CA may be great but you have those terrible earthquakes. That usually comes from someone who has never experienced one. I'm just saying that I just experienced one and I still take CA over WNY. And don't worry, you'll be shoveling snow soon enough. ;)

Oh, and happy you're having great weather. But how are those moquitos? :devil:

It is funny. My friend is out in LA this week & said he was there when the EQ hit & called me later that night saying, it scared the shiit out of him & he would take a blizzard over this any day. I guess it is all a matter of opinion. I will say this, Southern California probably does have the nicest weather in the country. I think anybody would have a hard time argueing against that.

Funny story. I went to visit my uncle out in LA over Thanksgiving, maybe like 14 years ago. The lady on the weather channel said it was the coldest thnaksgiving in LA in the last 60 years. I think the low that day was 28 degrees!!! The weather in b-low that Thanksgiving, a balmy 66 degrees. Just my luck,.

What is wrong with shoveling snow?... I actually like it... It is the best time of the year, one is outside and doing some nice manual labor and being productive... I would take it a million times over doing other types of chores, especially mowing grass... I have said it before, it really floors me how some will get all bent over keeping their grass manicured and yet, for the life of them will not shovel snow! :devil:;) What purpose does a "nice" lawn serve besides a "pretty view"... How practical is a "nice" lawn?... It is actually rather expense and very labor intensive far over shoveling snow for a practical reason (so you don't get stuck).

Just get a shovel and do some work.

It just goes to show you that most people hate doing "work." It is "beneath" many people. Yet, people will slam one thing over the next.

Snow is one of the easiest things to work with... Just go out and clear a path and don't come back until it is done.

How did this whole "I hate snow thing" actually get started? Like I said, it is a very fun part of life!

It not just the shoveling of snow, its the one month summer! You know the old saying- There's two seasons in buffalo: Winter and Construction. :P

It is funny. My friend is out in LA this week & said he was there when the EQ hit & called me later that night saying, it scared the shiit out of him & he would take a blizzard over this any day. I guess it is all a matter of opinion. I will say this, Southern California probably does have the nicest weather in the country. I think anybody would have a hard time argueing against that.

Funny story. I went to visit my uncle out in LA over Thanksgiving, maybe like 14 years ago. The lady on the weather channel said it was the coldest thnaksgiving in LA in the last 60 years. I think the low that day was 28 degrees!!! The weather in b-low that Thanksgiving, a balmy 66 degrees. Just my luck,.

Oh don't get me wrong when they hit there is a huge sense of helplessness. Is this it, is it going to get bigger, is the building I'm in going to collapse? But that last a whole 30 seconds. Then when it's over and you realize is was just a moderate quake it's pretty cool.

By the way, you could experience it someday too.

The earliest recorded earthquake in Genesee County occurred in about 1838. This quake shook the Batavia area and caused much consternation among the populace, but caused no damage other than a few broken dishes. Numerous minor earthquakes have struck the county since then, but none of these minor quakes have caused significant damage. Earthquakes tend to happen every few years and are usually noticed by local inhabitants. However, at times more severe earthquakes have occurred. The most destructive earthquake to strike the County occurred on August 12, 1929 and was centered in the Attica area. This quake measured either 5.8 or 5.2 on the Richter Scale (depending on different sources) and caused widespread if moderate damage including collapsed chimneys, bulged walls, cracked plaster, and broken windows.

Rock and roll baby!

It does get cold here in CA. Where I live in the SF Bay area gets the warmest in the summer (we hit 110 this month and 116 a few years ago), but also the coldest in the winter (we hit 19 this past winter). I haven't had any snow right at my house, but it did snow a mile away (just a flake a two in 1998). The 1000 foot ridge I can see has had a dusting once or twice and every winter we see snow on top of the hills nearby (2500-3800 feet high).

Plus the Baywatch stuff you see is SoCal. The surfers and swimmers from Monterey northward have to wear wet suits year round.

The snowiest place in the lower 48 is up near Lake Tahoe and one year they didn't even open Tioga Pass above Yosemite because the snow didn't melt.

It does get cold here in CA. Where I live in the SF Bay area gets the warmest in the summer (we hit 110 this month and 116 a few years ago), but also the coldest in the winter (we hit 19 this past winter).

I've only been here 8 years Wacka but I've never seen anything that low where we are. During Jan/Feb it does dip down to the high 20's rarely in the morning when I leave for work (6am UGH!) in the morning. Lots of little micro climates so it's not surprising your area would be different. Are you in the South Bay?

I've only been here 8 years Wacka but I've never seen anything that low where we are. During Jan/Feb it does dip down to the high 20's rarely in the morning when I leave for work (6am UGH!) in the morning. Lots of little micro climates so it's not surprising your area would be different. Are you in the South Bay?

I'm moving up your guy's way next year. I plan on living on the Peninsula for a couple of years just to take advantage of the city. I'm sure my weather superiority posts will end then. :thumbsup:

I live in Dublin, right on the county line. We also get a spit of fog through the Dublin Grade. It can be pea soup by me, but go 1 mile up 680 and it's clear. I have found that Alamo/Danville gets the hottest along 680. I see frost on the roofs in the morning around Christmas.

The snowiest place in the lower 48 is up near Lake Tahoe and one year they didn't even open Tioga Pass above Yosemite because the snow didn't melt.
No doubt about it.

For a while when I lived in Nevada County I had to commute 100 miles to work, over Donner Pass. In winter. On a motorcycle. That was nutz. Once my throttle cable froze in the full ON position, and I rocketted over the icy pass right in front of a CHP. He went-on the bull-horn but was literally tongue-tied. What came out was something like "Hey! YOU, arggh,no,you--uh, snow,hey, what the !@#$?"

Another time, I was driving somewhere on Hwy49 I think, and a freak storm hit. It was bone dry when I started and 30 minutes later I had to pull off in some tiny hamlet because the snow was over my front fender. I spent a wide-eyed night in some dingy motel right out of "Hostel" and didn't get a wink of sleep, clutching my screwdriver & listening for the buzzing of saws.... :thumbsup:

I live in Dublin, right on the county line. We also get a spit of fog through the Dublin Grade. It can be pea soup by me, but go 1 mile up 680 and it's clear. I have found that Alamo/Danville gets the hottest along 680. I see frost on the roofs in the morning around Christmas.

Damn, your 10 minutes away!!! Be scared lol! My brother in law probably lives even closer to you. He's in Pleasanton though just off Santa Rita Road. If ever go out to watch the Bills let me know and I'll join you. :thumbsup: When we lived in Walnut Creek I used to love going to the Stadium Pub to watch games. That was before we had the Sunday Ticket though but it's always fun to go somewhere with other fans.

I go all the way down to Cupertino for the games. I used to live in Sunnyvale before moving to the east bay. I think I met you at the last Bills-Raiders game. We were partying with Pinto Ken and had wings and weck and Labatts.

I'm moving up your guy's way next year. I plan on living on the Peninsula for a couple of years just to take advantage of the city. I'm sure my weather superiority posts will end then. :thumbsup:

My wife grew up in Burlingame. She says it was fogged in every morning there. No matter what time of year.

I go all the way down to Cupertino for the games. I used to live in Sunnyvale before moving to the east bay. I think I met you at the last Bills-Raiders game. We were partying with Pinto Ken and had wings and weck and Labatts.

Thats a fair hike to go to watch a game Wacka. Were you living in the east bay at the time of the Raider game?

Yep. I lived in Sunnyvale from 94-98 and in Dublin since. At the time I moved, There was a SF group and a San Jose Group and no NFL Ticket (besides I can't afford it). They are both the same distance and the SF place requires to pay the Bay Bruidge toll and to park in a ramp ($) even on a Sunday morning, so it was Cupertino.

To bring this back to the original topic, up in the SF Bay area, we have had numerous microquakes (2.0) which we have a all the time. If you go to the USGS site you can see the traces of the San Andreas and Hayward / Caleavaras Faults by the quakes. The biggest we had nearby were two 4.2s in two hours about 1.5 miles from me the day after the space shuttle crashed. The floor felt like it moved about 5 feet back and forth and I watched the glass in the patio door vibrate.

There was a SF group and a San Jose Group and no NFL Ticket (besides I can't afford it).

I think they are pushing the limit with me as far as the Sunday Ticket goes Wacka. Not sure if I can afford it either! I saw the bill and I think it's 4 payments of $65. Plus, if you want HD for every game you have to pay a extra $100. We don't have that. Anyway, if I didn't love the Bills so much I wouldn't have it at all. I guess I would just watch Niner games, if I watched football at all.