Edwards/ Losman things of note

Edwards is still not getting the ball downfield enough & is checking down too quickly before alot of plays can develop.

Losman still is waiting too long for plays to develop downfield & isn't checking down quick enough

I think Edwards "problem" is more correctable at this point...we have seen too many QB's who never get over the habit of holding on to the ball too long...getting the ball out quick, even for short passes, can lead to big yardage after the catch. Imagine if Edwards gets into any rhythm with Parrish. Roscoe can turn a 5 yard pass into a 70 yard gain, if he gets the ball at the right place on the field.

I agree that throwing it deep every now and then will keep the defense honest but with Losman I think you get the opposite. Teams know he's locking onto Evans and they take away the long ball most of the time because JP hasn't shown the ability to make the correct short reads.

The one example I will never forget was at last season's home opener. On a critical third down play, Losman locked onto to Evans for a few seconds and ended up throwing the ball into coverage when both Reed and Parrish were jumping and waving their arms because there was no opponent within 30 yards of them. They had the whole left side of the field as the lone Bronco defender near them slipped and fell. They were 20 yards off the line and had about 60 yards of free space to run it in for an easy score. JP had the protection and he never once looked to that side of the field. It was a throw the majority of us on this board could have made.

I agree. Losman's read progression is very slow and that's when he isn't locked into a particular receiver. It's too bad, he has all the physical tools and natural ability to be a very good QB in this league. but he's lacking in the mental part of the game.

Thank God we've got the daily TE/JP thread out of the way. Now we can move on to a fresh topic - maybe something like how bad WGR sucks... :worthy:

JP is hurt again and may not throw tonight. That makes twice in the span of 9 or so months. He's obviously injury prone.

On a positive note, Hamdan should get plenty of reps.

I think Edwards "problem" is more correctable at this point...we have seen too many QB's who never get over the habit of holding on to the ball too long...getting the ball out quick, even for short passes, can lead to big yardage after the catch. Imagine if Edwards gets into any rhythm with Parrish. Roscoe can turn a 5 yard pass into a 70 yard gain, if he gets the ball at the right place on the field.

Yes. And with experience and trust SHOULD come more confidence in the downfield reads. My beef with Trent last year wasn't the dinky passes, it was the way he seemed almost predetermined to dump off as he dropped back, not giving a chance for the routes to open up downfield. And good point about Roscoe...Brady and Moss got the publicity last year, but time and again it was Welker who was Brady's main man. He consistently turned 3-yard slants into 15-yard gains.

JP's problems seem more cerebral in nature and he hasn't shown much progress. It still feels like training camp 2005 with him.

Regardless of who's playing QB, the telling stat will again be red zone offense. The Bills have been among the bottom of the league for 5 years when it comes to TD's. A reliable kicker is great, but 7 instead of 3 makes a world of difference. The good teams punch it in after a 60-yard drive. The mediocre teams kick.

Yes. And with experience and trust SHOULD come more confidence in the downfield reads. My beef with Trent last year wasn't the dinky passes, it was the way he seemed almost predetermined to dump off as he dropped back, not giving a chance for the routes to open up downfield. And good point about Roscoe...Brady and Moss got the publicity last year, but time and again it was Welker who was Brady's main man. He consistently turned 3-yard slants into 15-yard gains.

JP's problems seem more cerebral in nature and he hasn't shown much progress. It still feels like training camp 2005 with him.

Regardless of who's playing QB, the telling stat will again be red zone offense. The Bills have been among the bottom of the league for 5 years when it comes to TD's. A reliable kicker is great, but 7 instead of 3 makes a world of difference. The good teams punch it in after a 60-yard drive. The mediocre teams kick.

:worthy::worthy: