To the TBD Car Experts

You dont even need to go that far. If you have a can of Coke handy it will do the same thing as a 7 dollar can of corrosive cleaner. It will chew right through that corrossion. Imagine what that crap does to your stomach?

Richmond, like everyone else says above the terminals were bad and the attendant shorted the connection. Check your terminals every 6 months. Its not just the battery that goes bad but it makes the rest of the ignition system work harder. Alternator, starter, distributor etc, etc. You should actually change your batter yearly no matter if its bad or not. It will help the car in the long run.

I change out my battery and also my wife's roughly every 2 years.

2 x $70 / 720 days = 19 cents per day.

Getting stranded, perhaps at night, perhaps in a bad area, the cost of a tow...I pay the $0.19 per day instead. It's not a bad idea to carry the few tool needed to loosen/tighten clamps and to remove the battery hold-down bolt. One of those emergency start batteries are a good idea, too - take it out and top off the charge monthly.

Re cleaning: I avoid using a cleaning solution where the clamp is affixed to the cable. It gets in the cable windings. I use one of those inexpensive male/female wire brush things instead of cleaners.

For general info - they sell a device that plugs into the ciggie lighter socket that provides juice to keep electrical settings of the vehicle and radio during battery change-out and terminal cleaning.

Ok - it's been a long day, but this is what the problem was:

My battery was dead - which is not surprising as it turns out it was the original battery. But thats not the end of the story. My mechanic said that after he put the battery in, he still could not get the car to run. So, he put it on the computer and the code came up for the Mass Air Flow Sensor. So - being as I had no other choice, I had him fix it. The million $$ question to him - was Jiffy Lube responsible? The answer - there is no way to tell. While that sensor is located right next to the battery compartment, he couldn't see any evidence of negligence. So - the short answer - I don't think I have a claim situation.

To take it a step further, I had a conversation with an EXTREMELY rude CS rep from Jiffy Lube in Raleigh. I told him straight up "I'm not asking for you to pay for my repairs - just give me a free oil change for my inconvenience. After all my car ran when I brought it in. And 3 hours later after the whole ordeal, I was watching it being towed away". Continuing to be an a-hole, the guy abruptly told me to fax my repair bill and he would make a determination. I told him fine. I'm going to place a call to his boss tomorrow only to tell him I didn't like how the guy talked to me.

I did talk to the local DM of the Richmond JL's and he told me that if I didn't get what I wanted from the CS team, he would take care of my next oil change.

Moral of the Story - JL is probably ok for oil changes, but don't let them do anything else. Thanks for all the conversation on the topic...Jim

At least you haven't been running your car for 2 years with a P0411 code... That's the secondary air flow system, which has been replaced, yet the code remains. Check engine lights are killers cause they just don't go away, ever!

At least you haven't been running your car for 2 years with a P0411 code... That's the secondary air flow system, which has been replaced, yet the code remains. Check engine lights are killers cause they just don't go away, ever!

That is so true,except in my case. I changed my engine in my 99 chev. pick-up about a month ago. I had to change over a shitz load of sensors ,the manifolds, oil lines and numerous other parts from my old engine. I did this in my garage alone. I work better that way. Anyway I fired it up and can you believe not one light on. Now that was damn lucky.

Ok - it's been a long day, but this is what the problem was:

My battery was dead - which is not surprising as it turns out it was the original battery. But thats not the end of the story. My mechanic said that after he put the battery in, he still could not get the car to run. So, he put it on the computer and the code came up for the Mass Air Flow Sensor. So - being as I had no other choice, I had him fix it. The million $$ question to him - was Jiffy Lube responsible? The answer - there is no way to tell. While that sensor is located right next to the battery compartment, he couldn't see any evidence of negligence. So - the short answer - I don't think I have a claim situation.

To take it a step further, I had a conversation with an EXTREMELY rude CS rep from Jiffy Lube in Raleigh. I told him straight up "I'm not asking for you to pay for my repairs - just give me a free oil change for my inconvenience. After all my car ran when I brought it in. And 3 hours later after the whole ordeal, I was watching it being towed away". Continuing to be an a-hole, the guy abruptly told me to fax my repair bill and he would make a determination. I told him fine. I'm going to place a call to his boss tomorrow only to tell him I didn't like how the guy talked to me.

I did talk to the local DM of the Richmond JL's and he told me that if I didn't get what I wanted from the CS team, he would take care of my next oil change.

Moral of the Story - JL is probably ok for oil changes, but don't let them do anything else. Thanks for all the conversation on the topic...Jim

You did say they came in before the battery cleaning and asked if you wanted the air cleaner changed??... Places will usually show you your air cleaner... What I am getting at is while removing the air cleaner... They might have tugged too hard on the cleaner box, pulled or damaged the sensor...??

I don't know what kind you have?... But some are located within the air flow of the engine... Which would put right in harms way when getting the air cleaner out...

What do you think Cincy?

You did say they came in before the battery cleaning and asked if you wanted the air cleaner changed??... Places will usually show you your air cleaner... What I am getting at is while removing the air cleaner... They might have tugged too hard on the cleaner box, pulled or damaged the sensor...??

I don't know what kind you have?... But some are located within the air flow of the engine... Which would put right in harms way when getting the air cleaner out...

What do you think Cincy?

By definition, a mass air flow sensor is in the induction path leading to the intake manifold. The MAF is located downstream of the filter housing. I don't think tugging on the housing would damage the fine wire of the sensor.

On my S-10 4 cyl., the housing is on the driver's side, Air goes through it, traverses over the radiator then back to a plenum connected to the sensor.