To the TBD Car Experts

So I'm planning on a fun day with my 2 sons. Oil change, lunch a couple of other errands. I go to a national oil change company we'll call "Spiffy Pube" and get the oil changed. Been there 100 times with multiple vehicles. I have them change the oil, avoid the dreaded "need a new air filter" by telling them I just changed it. But the guy does come in and say "your battery is very corroted, we can clean it for $6". I went and inspected, it was nasty, so I said sure.

I pay the invoice, load the boys up, start the car and pull out of the lot. I get about 100 feet, the car goes "click, click, click" and dies. So the guys push it back, check it out and can't find anything. The car starts fine. We take a few laps around the adjacent parking lot and no problems. So we pull away, get to the main drag "click, click, click" dies. Luckily I coasted into a parking lot, called the tools at the shop and they came and pushed it back again. They get it back and now it will "start" but it wont stay running. They screw around some more call the district manager from another location and by the time they finish, it wont start only click, click, click and all of the guages go back and forth.

They inform me that this is all they can do with it and I can send it to their mechanic at their cost (to deliver) and if the oil change procedure caused it then they will pick it up. If not, its my dime. Or I can arrange to send it to a mechanic of my choosing (at my cost) and if he determines its their fault we'll have to file a claim, etc.

Now - I really don't believe that the oil change is the culprit rather the battery cleaning. I realize it could also be something totally conicidental. I just want to ask you experts out their of your opinion. Please don't tell me "you should change your own oil, etc." I don't have the time, inclination or know how. I just want to go somewhere and get it done. Thanks...Jim

I'm by no means an expert, but it sounds like they shorted the alternator or some other electrical component when they did the battery cleaning thing. You'll obviously have to have the mechanic prove that the alternator shorted due to the battery, which they cleaned... Then you'll have a good case. Get everything in writing!

I'm by no means an expert, but it sounds like they shorted the alternator or some other electrical component when they did the battery cleaning thing. You'll obviously have to have the mechanic prove that the alternator shorted due to the battery, which they cleaned... Then you'll have a good case. Get everything in writing!

+1. I would have said pretty much the same thing.

If it was the alternator, the car would run fine for a prolonged period until the battery ran out of juice, then it would die or once shut off, it wouldn't start again. The click click click noise are relays firing, but it sounds like an ignition issue. To me, it just sounds like there is a loose connection to the battery causing an ignition problem.

The battery cable or cables could have been about to fail, and the removal of them to clean might have done it.

The positive cable where connected to the starter motor can also get gunked up.

I've had to replace cables now and then through the years. I've also replaced the clamps that atttach to the battery - they sell replacements for those for a few bucks - useful, if there's enough play in the cable to clip off the old clamp and affix the new one with out putting tension on it.

If it was the alternator, the car would run fine for a prolonged period until the battery ran out of juice, then it would die or once shut off, it wouldn't start again. The click click click noise are relays firing, but it sounds like an ignition issue. To me, it just sounds like there is a loose connection to the battery causing an ignition problem.

I'm inclined to agree with 5 Wide & stuckincincy. When I hear that clicking sound, I usually go and clean the terminals/connectors and everything is fine. The fact that the cleaning caused this makes me think that there's something wrong between the terminals and the distributor. I'd get it out of their hands and have your guy (if you have one, if not get one - ask around) make the fix. File a claim and hope they'll pay it. If they do, great. If not, lesson learned.

I'm inclined to agree with 5 Wide & stuckincincy. When I hear that clicking sound, I usually go and clean the terminals/connectors and everything is fine. The fact that the cleaning caused this makes me think that there's something wrong between the terminals and the distributor. I'd get it out of their hands and have your guy (if you have one, if not get one - ask around) make the fix. File a claim and hope they'll pay it. If they do, great. If not, lesson learned.

x2. Have had this happen before. The problem is at your battery connection.

Keep your battery terminals clean in the first place! No reason there should be any "snow" on them in the first place... They sell cans of protector/sealant... Even specially coated washers that can go on the terminals...

:cry:;)

BTW... I agree with Cincy... The corrosion was keeping it intact. If you neglect something like keeping your battery terminals coated and or cleaned and then attempt to make up for that negligance by cleaning them, be prepare to uncover other problems. Corrosion isn't just cosmetic at times, there is only so much to the cables, clamps, etc... Like picking at a piece of wallpaper that is peeling or pulling a loose thread.

It was going to fail at some point because of the corrosion... Be thankful it wasn't in a worse situation.

I don't see why it should be the oil change place's fault. They just cleaned what they were given. IMO, If I was at the oil change place... I wouldn't have touched it and just sent you on your way... 6 bucks and a world of headache.

When your terminals start to corrode your Battery is on its way out. I`d say they might have broken a terminal Which was weak and corroded also. I`d say check the terminals again,broken ,not clean enough. Check the ends out good. I would also say your battery is getting weak. Dealt with this problem many times. :cry:

Thanks for all the info guys. I had AAA tow the car to my mechanic and he'll check it out first thing tomorrow. From what everyone is saying, I'm sure that the idiot that cleaned my battery exacerbated the already weakening battery. Its a 2003 Ford Escape and I don't believe I've ever replaced the battery. I'm just glad its not something major (hopefully). I'll post tomorrow to let you know what it was.

Thanks for all the info guys. I had AAA tow the car to my mechanic and he'll check it out first thing tomorrow. From what everyone is saying, I'm sure that the idiot that cleaned my battery exacerbated the already weakening battery. Its a 2003 Ford Escape and I don't believe I've ever replaced the battery. I'm just glad its not something major (hopefully). I'll post tomorrow to let you know what it was.

I 'm not sure you can blame it on them. 5 years is a very long time for a battery to last, especially one that seemingly you didn't pay much attention to. ;)

I 'm not sure you can blame it on them. 5 years is a very long time for a battery to last, especially one that seemingly you didn't pay much attention to. :lol:

BINGO!

Can't see why some blame the guy or call him an idiot... The terminal had corrosion on and they offered to clean it for 6 bucks.

In this case he should thank the place for not allowing the automobile to strand him self in a worse situation.

Be thankful is what I am saying... They didn't screw it up IMO... They got you off the snide and forced attention to a would be problem... Basically forced you to do preventive measures.

If it wasn't for the shop... When would he have cleaned it?

;)<_<

Now Richmond... I can just imagine your supposedly "just changed" air filter... :unsure:B-)

Me? I take a Sharpie and mark exactly when and at what mileage I change the air cleaner on the filter itself.

:blink:

The good news is that if it is isolated in the battery, it's a 5 minute, ~$50 fix.

;)<_<

It's gotta be... They didn't touch nothing else is what we are told... They just cleaned the terniminals...

Once you see the "snow" starting to form should tip you off that it should be treated...

Like I said... A can of battery protector goes a ton in keeping the thing clean... Especially in the winter or wet months... Heck, you can spray a little paint in a pinch...

The worst was when I took over my sister's car... I almost had a coronary when I popped the hood!

;)<_<

It's gotta be... They didn't touch nothing else is what we are told... They just cleaned the terniminals...

Once you see the "snow" starting to form should tip you off that it should be treated...

Like I said... A can of battery protector goes a ton in keeping the thing clean... Especially in the winter or wet months... Heck, you can spray a little paint in a pinch...

The worst was when I took over my sister's car... I almost had a coronary when I popped the hood!

You dont even need to go that far. If you have a can of Coke handy it will do the same thing as a 7 dollar can of corrosive cleaner. It will chew right through that corrossion. Imagine what that crap does to your stomach?

Richmond, like everyone else says above the terminals were bad and the attendant shorted the connection. Check your terminals every 6 months. Its not just the battery that goes bad but it makes the rest of the ignition system work harder. Alternator, starter, distributor etc, etc. You should actually change your batter yearly no matter if its bad or not. It will help the car in the long run.