The Politics of the Olympics

What with the Olympics coming up very soon, this is a chance for countries around the world to put animosity aside, and for the best to compete against the best on an equal stage and show good sportsmanship to the winners as much as to those who finished last. At its best, all the flags of the world come together in peace and depart in peace.

I was incensed at the protests that spouted into rioting during the Olympic torch relays. Political statements and rhetoric are not what the Games are intended to showcase (one of the reasons why the Salt Lake 2002 presentation of the WTC flag didn't quite sit well for me). I will be cheering on the Netherlands/Holland (heritage) and the USA.

So, it's now disappointing that Iraq will not be represented in Bejing. Admittedly small, with only four competitors, it's the ceremonial aspect that stinks, that they won't be included. Like in so many other instances, the pols ruin things for their citizens. :blink:

What with the Olympics coming up very soon, this is a chance for countries around the world to put animosity aside, and for the best to compete against the best on an equal stage and show good sportsmanship to the winners as much as to those who finished last. At its best, all the flags of the world come together in peace and depart in peace.

I was incensed at the protests that spouted into rioting during the Olympic torch relays. Political statements and rhetoric are not what the Games are intended to showcase (one of the reasons why the Salt Lake 2002 presentation of the WTC flag didn't quite sit well for me). I will be cheering on the Netherlands/Holland (heritage) and the USA.

So, it's now disappointing that Iraq will not be represented in Bejing. Admittedly small, with only four competitors, it's the ceremonial aspect that stinks, that they won't be included. Like in so many other instances, the pols ruin things for their citizens. :blink:

Unfortunately, the Olympics no longer stands for what you said in the first paragraph, and its a shame that they don't