Its a Shocker

<caution No number in this post to back up my feelings>

Overall, it seemed that Willis put up the numbers of an above average runningback. There would be moments or even games, that he looked like a top-5 draft pick he was "supposed" to be. He clearly excelled at Miami, and he clearly was able to recover from a horrific injury.

IMO many fans are down on him because he doesn't seem to live up to his potential. Instead of striving for greatness, he seems content to strive for a quick lay. We applaud those who give all that they can, and are disappointed in those who don't put forth the effort.

I remember watching a game for Baltimore when they were playing NE and Willis was running hard. I thought where the heck was that while he was here? I believe that Willis has/d the ability to become a legendary runningback. Instead he seems satisfied with being merely better than most.

A guy like Fred Jackson may never reach the numbers of WM, but I'll root for him or someone like him any day of the week over somebody like WM.

I remember that game. I believe that game took place the day of/day after Sean Taylor's funeral...or at least it was Sean Taylor-driven as all the former Hurricanes were playing lights out that night and it was "the story" of the game.

This discussion got me cruising to the Raven's message boards, and there was a McGahee thread on Page 2 where one of the fans went to BB.com and started busting nuts about how McGahee was "money" and Lynch was far removed from the talent McGahee possessed. That let me to compare some stats, and the reality is, Lynch was right there with whatever they thought made McGahee great.

McGahee

15 games, 294 carries, 1207 yards, 4.1 average, 7 TDs, 4 fumbles (3 lost)

Lynch

13 games, 280 carries, 1115 yards, 4.0 average, 7 TDs, 2 fumbles (1 lost)

Most interesting was the receiving stats, especially when Baltimore blabbed how they were going to really use Willis in the passing game.

McGahee

43 receptions, 231 yards, 5.4 average

Lynch

18 receptions, 184 yards, 10.2 average

I was going to post this at their board, but I wasn't up for registering, etc.

I saw the same thread. The thread is almost hysterical. One guy was boasting how McGahee's play against the Bills proved how wrong we were about him. I thought about posting the stat comparison, along with reminding the Raven fans that McGahee did have a great game - against one of the worst defenses in the NFL.

And to gently remind them they still LOST the game. :blink:

But, I just figured they should mire in their own stupidity, and keep believing they have an 'elite' back.

Well its not a shocker to us Bills fans...

I was surfing through the sports channels on satelite and landed on Comcast Sports where they were having a round table on the Ravens.

Everyone is disappointed with our good friend Willis.

The statement are (can you guess) :

- he has not been around here during the offseason

- he has not helped out with the young quaterbacks

- we question his physical shape .. having to come out of games

- he hesitates at the line of attack

Maybe GM's will start reading TSW when going after past BB's :blink:

It's like Deja Vu all over again.

And just like in Buffalo, a new coach comes in and Willis is MIA.

It's like Deja Vu, Deja Vu all over again.

I'll never say Willis is or was a bad player, but it's just disappointing to see a young player with loads of talent not live up to his potential. When he burst on the scene in 04, everyone thought that if he progressed he was going to be a very special player. However, he just never put in the work to get better and he didn't give that extra effort to get the tough yards on sundays (I didn't know it was 4th down). He was and still is a great talent, but he just doesn't keep his legs moving on contact like Lynch does, which is a pure effort thing. In a city like Buffalo, if you're not a hard worker, the fans aren't going to respect you.

Willis could be great with a little effort. The worst thing is staying away from mini-camps this offseason when a new playbook needs to be digested. He also needs to get in peak shape because he will most likely be the focus of their offense.

That's funny because I remember reading after the trade that he was going to stay in Baltimore and train with the team during the offseason. He said Ray Lewis and Ed Reed both do, and they said its beneficial to stay with the team opposed to going back to miami, or something like that. Good to know that that lasted less than 1 full year.

He found out the women in Baltimore weren't as good as the women in Buffalo, and we know how he feels about the women in Buffalo. So he's in Miami trying to catch up to Travis Henry.

He found out the women in Baltimore weren't as good as the women in Buffalo, and we know how he feels about the women in Buffalo. So he's in Miami trying to catch up to Travis Henry.

I guess Travis took him under his wing to show him how to behave off the field. :thumbsup: