Its a Shocker

Well its not a shocker to us Bills fans...

I was surfing through the sports channels on satelite and landed on Comcast Sports where they were having a round table on the Ravens.

Everyone is disappointed with our good friend Willis.

The statement are (can you guess) :

- he has not been around here during the offseason

- he has not helped out with the young quaterbacks

- we question his physical shape .. having to come out of games

- he hesitates at the line of attack

Maybe GM's will start reading TSW when going after past BB's :lol:

I was surfing through the sports channels on satelite and landed on Comcast Sports where they were having a round table on the Ravens.

Maybe GM's will start reading TSW when going after past BB's :lol:

In spite of all of this, he had decent numbers last year. I'd guess what frustrates Ravens fans is knowing that the guy could be great but knowing his level of commitment is not equal to his talent. Yup, same old Willis.

This may not make sense, but I think when a guy like McGahee makes a stink to get traded, he instinctively works overtime to prove his worth when he is traded. But it's like a motivated honeymoon phase. He's gonna prove all those Bills naysayers wrong, and he's gonna make Baltimore glad they got him, and he's going to stay in town to train and do all the things people accused him of not doing.

Now that he's kind of done that, he believes the initial impression has been set. But the reality is, the initial impression was already set and it was up to him to overcome it, likely in more than a single season. If he's really not around this offseason, that's kind of messed up. I'm of the opinion that he's not disciplined enough to get by on talent alone. But if he thinks he's done proving himself in Baltimore, then just wait until the first time he goes in on fourth and short and not only "thinks" is third down, but somehow leaves you with the impression that he just figured he had two chances to the first down, so why try to get it all on the first try?

Somewhat along those lines, I think you could basically see the same kind of behavior from someone like Shockey. B word and moan. Get traded. Get motivated. Do some good. Fade.

Just speculation, but sometimes motivation is short-lived.

In spite of all of this, he had decent numbers last year. I'd guess what frustrates Ravens fans is knowing that the guy could be great but knowing his level of commitment is not equal to his talent. Yup, same old Willis.

Couldn't put it better myself. The guy has the talent, he has the skill. But he'd rather dance and dive than get the extra yard.

Thank you, Marshawn.

Maybe GM's will start reading TSW when going after past BB's <_<

The Bills should have held out for a 1st rounder for him. :blink:

That's funny because I remember reading after the trade that he was going to stay in Baltimore and train with the team during the offseason. He said Ray Lewis and Ed Reed both do, and they said its beneficial to stay with the team opposed to going back to miami, or something like that. Good to know that that lasted less than 1 full year.

That's funny because I remember reading after the trade that he was going to stay in Baltimore and train with the team during the offseason. He said Ray Lewis and Ed Reed both do, and they said its beneficial to stay with the team opposed to going back to miami, or something like that. Good to know that that lasted less than 1 full year.

And just like in Buffalo, a new coach comes in and Willis is MIA.

And just like in Buffalo, a new coach comes in and Willis is MIA.

New coach, and a new young QB in Flacco (JP) or a career backup in Boller (Holcomb.) Look for Willis to complain about 8 or 9 in the box this year as his excuse for not racking up yards, rather than running hard and taking the pressure off of his overmatched QB.

Ray Rice may motivate Willis to perform, as Willis seemed to be a different player when Travis was in Buffalo also.

Nonetheless, the Ravens are still the only team who failed to beat the 1-15 Dolphins last year. Nice job fellahs.

From Sunday's Baltimore Sun:

• Willis McGahee's conditioning: McGahee was not an every-down running back last season, and he asked for breathers during games. Then, he skipped most of this year's offseason minicamps. It didn't go unnoticed - Harbaugh pointed out that the team needs to get McGahee in "football shape." If the Ravens want their offense to improve this season, they'll need McGahee to be in top form.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/footbal...0,2476847.story

I saw a lot of Rice, what with Rutgers being in the same conf. as U. of Cincy.

Tough, motivated runner. I suspect he'll do well - we'll see.

I'm a HUGE ray rice fan, the kid is going to be awesome. Doesn't have break away speed, but can be elusive and is very tough to bring down. I would like nothing more than to see him take Willis's spot.

Say whay you want about Willis but the guy did run for over 1000 yards and made the pro-bowl.

I'll never say Willis is or was a bad player, but it's just disappointing to see a young player with loads of talent not live up to his potential. When he burst on the scene in 04, everyone thought that if he progressed he was going to be a very special player. However, he just never put in the work to get better and he didn't give that extra effort to get the tough yards on sundays (I didn't know it was 4th down). He was and still is a great talent, but he just doesn't keep his legs moving on contact like Lynch does, which is a pure effort thing. In a city like Buffalo, if you're not a hard worker, the fans aren't going to respect you.

I'll never say Willis is or was a bad player, but it's just disappointing to see a young player with loads of talent not live up to his potential. When he burst on the scene in 04, everyone thought that if he progressed he was going to be a very special player. However, he just never put in the work to get better and he didn't give that extra effort to get the tough yards on sundays (I didn't know it was 4th down). He was and still is a great talent, but he just doesn't keep his legs moving on contact like Lynch does, which is a pure effort thing. In a city like Buffalo, if you're not a hard worker, the fans aren't going to respect you.

Yep, well said. For a physical specimen that Willis is, he lacked the drive and desire to achieve more. There was a noticeable difference in games where Willis WANTED to make it happen. He would run hard and hit the hole quick, and usually finish with about 130. However, the next four weeks would be lethargic Willis who would stutter-step in the backfield, nudge into the hole, and go down on contact. He would typically finish with about 65 yards.

His time in Buffalo would have to be described as average (sans his performances against the NYJ.) Granted, the offenses and QB's were nothing to write home about, but an elite back would relish the oppotunity to carry that offense on his back. As you said, Lynch seems to embrace that concept, while Willis seemed to want to get out of his pads ASAP and go play Nintendo.

There was a noticeable difference in games where Willis WANTED to make it happen. He would run hard and hit the hole quick, and usually finish with about 130. However, the next four weeks would be lethargic Willis who would stutter-step in the backfield, nudge into the hole, and go down on contact. He would typically finish with about 65 yards.

This, in addition to his nickel noggin, is what was so disappointing about this guy. I remember he was doing a terrible job at really throwing a block at blitzing defenders, took some heat, and the following week he was doing a great job picking up the blitz. You figure, "Alright, that's the way. Let's keep it going," only to find him whiffing the following week. And then there was his lack of desire to fully crunch the playbook. How many times did you see Losman take the snap, everyone on the line moving to the left, and McGahee going in the wrong direction in the backfield and ultimately muffing the handoff? The next week he'd be up against Vilma and put up 135 yards because somehow he decided to be motivated.

Strangely, I remember, more than once, Willis being referred to as the "hardest working football player we have ever had in Miami" on more than one occaison. A friend of mine, who works with the Hurricanes athletic department, told me that Willis' work ethic was kind of legandary there. Yet, I agree with most of the assessments of his pro career here. The guy could be very good, when motivated...maybe getting paid has taken some of that motivation from him? I do think he is not super savvy with the media, and I do think, some of his comments about Buffalo (while he was still a Bill) were blown way out of proportion. He had a good season with the Ravens last year, and some respectable seasons in Buffalo...but his best performances seem to come when he feels he has something to prove, or someone to prove him self to. I think his Monday Night Game against New England this past season (or was it Sunday Night?), was one of the best performances I saw all season. It gave great insight into the kind of player McGahee could be, when he wants. He left everything on the field that night (cliche I know), when, in most games, he seems to be saving something for himself. If living in Buffalo was affecting his desire to play, I could have told him, Baltimore is a sh-- hole...it wouldn't fit his style either....

I think his Monday Night Game against New England this past season (or was it Sunday Night?), was one of the best performances I saw all season. It gave great insight into the kind of player McGahee could be, when he wants. He left everything on the field that night (cliche I know), when, in most games, he seems to be saving something for himself.

I remember that game. I believe that game took place the day of/day after Sean Taylor's funeral...or at least it was Sean Taylor-driven as all the former Hurricanes were playing lights out that night and it was "the story" of the game.

This discussion got me cruising to the Raven's message boards, and there was a McGahee thread on Page 2 where one of the fans went to BB.com and started busting nuts about how McGahee was "money" and Lynch was far removed from the talent McGahee possessed. That let me to compare some stats, and the reality is, Lynch was right there with whatever they thought made McGahee great.

McGahee

15 games, 294 carries, 1207 yards, 4.1 average, 7 TDs, 4 fumbles (3 lost)

Lynch

13 games, 280 carries, 1115 yards, 4.0 average, 7 TDs, 2 fumbles (1 lost)

Most interesting was the receiving stats, especially when Baltimore blabbed how they were going to really use Willis in the passing game.

McGahee

43 receptions, 231 yards, 5.4 average

Lynch

18 receptions, 184 yards, 10.2 average

I was going to post this at their board, but I wasn't up for registering, etc.

Strangely, I remember, more than once, Willis being referred to as the "hardest working football player we have ever had in Miami" on more than one occaison. A friend of mine, who works with the Hurricanes athletic department, told me that Willis' work ethic was kind of legandary there.

That's true. He also played on one of the great teams in NCAA history, with future NFL stars all over the field. They were teams built to win championships, or it was a failed season. He had to backup Portis and fight for a job with Frank Gore and Walter Payton's son. He had to prove he could produce on a team with incredible skill on offense, everyone wanting their share of touches. All of those things are motivating factors. Add to that his injury, and the motivation to prove he could make it back from that surgery to be a successful NFL RB, and it's impossible to question that he was a determined young man. His brother also owns a gym in the Miami-area, and Willis' workout sessions had reached "legendary" status at one point, you are correct.

Yet, I agree with most of the assessments of his pro career here. The guy could be very good, when motivated...maybe getting paid has taken some of that motivation from him? I do think he is not super savvy with the media, and I do think, some of his comments about Buffalo (while he was still a Bill) were blown way out of proportion. He had a good season with the Ravens last year, and some respectable seasons in Buffalo...but his best performances seem to come when he feels he has something to prove, or someone to prove him self to. I think his Monday Night Game against New England this past season (or was it Sunday Night?), was one of the best performances I saw all season. It gave great insight into the kind of player McGahee could be, when he wants. He left everything on the field that night (cliche I know), when, in most games, he seems to be saving something for himself. If living in Buffalo was affecting his desire to play, I could have told him, Baltimore is a sh-- hole...it wouldn't fit his style either....

I agree that he wasn't the brightest bulb, and the constant attention paid to pro sports nowadays didn't help him. Every sentence is analyzed and dissected by fans and media alike, and most times it's much ado about nothing...Just something to pass the 6 days between games. He and Losman have been remarkably similar in several aspects-

-Both drafted (somewhat unexpectedly) by the Bills...Willis #23 overall in '03, Losman #22 overall in '04

-Both injured during their rookie seasons, Willis playing zero minutes and Losman throwing a grand total of two passes

-Both seemed to be a little bit "off" in their dealings with the media, and on the field, neither one appeared to be overly cerebral

-Both would produce once every 4-5 games where they would look like a franchise player, and would have you saying, "Jeez, he might have figured it out"

-Both, in the end, were disappointingly inconsistent and failed to get it done more often than not

I remember he was doing a terrible job at really throwing a block at blitzing defenders, took some heat, and the following week he was doing a great job picking up the blitz. You figure, "Alright, that's the way. Let's keep it going," only to find him whiffing the following week.

That's a great example of his lack of work ethic, game smarts or both. I remember (as many here probably do) the week that he leveled Kevin Williams of the Vikings on a pass-block pickup. I mean Williams is 320 and a Pro-Bowl defensive tackle and Willis just threw him to the turf like he was a high school player. He didn't duck down and take out his feet, he didn't catch him from the side...he threw a shoulder into his chest and trucked him. It was one of the more impressive displays of athleticism I've seen by a football player.

There was talk around here that one of the reasons the team started winning after the switch from Travis to Willis was not just his running, but that he was such a superior pass blocker. When it was time to trade him, it was brought up as one of his true weaknesses.