Shockey traded to Saints

Peter

If the Saints really did give up a 2nd and a 5th rounder, I think they overpaid. Shockey is overrated and injury prone.

I completely disagree. His ego may be hard to manage but Brees loves his TEs and that offence is huge on passing anyway. The Saints got the best of that deal IMO. Shockey is a proven player, draft picks are not. Besides, all Shockey wants is to make catches. He just wants to be involved in the passing game more. The Saints will accomodate this.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does that cap room include what we will need to put up to sign the rest of our draft class though?

It's my impression that the rookie cap allocation is already included in those numbers. Each team has a set amount, depending on draft position, to use for signing rookies.

Are you assuming that the post-Tommy-John-surgery Delhomme will be the same QB who took that team to a Super Bowl? I'm not so sure. Plus, Rucker and Jenkins are gone from the once-fierce defensive line.

As for the Saints, the corners are still soft, but they added Sed Ellis and Bobby McCray to the line (along with trading for the previously-mentioned Vilma).

I'm a Bills fan living down here in Carolina country so I can speak on this topic a little bit. No one knows for certain how Jake Delhome will respond from his surgery until the pads go on and the games start, but it is being reported left and right that he is in the best playing shape of his entire career and his mental outlook right now is superb. He just has this real passion for the game that you don't see in very many players anymore. Steve Smith will certainly cause secondaries night mares once again this season and adding a young/quick receiver in DJ Hackett and a very reliable possession receiver in Muhammad will make Carolina's Offense more potent then it has been since their super bowl season.

You are right that they lost two talented players from the D.line but it has been spoken (but behind closed doors) for the last two seasons that both players have slowed down tremendously and this may be a case of addition by subtraction. They both take too many plays off now and become winded far too quickly. In my opinion they will be good enough on the line and at the 2nd level to be very competitive on Defense. The real question comes @ corner back where they are quite young and have underachieved to this point.

Sorry, all I get down here is Carolina news/press all the dang time. I can't wait to fly up to Buffalo to catch a game this season!

Go Bills!

I'm a Bills fan living down here in Carolina country so I can speak on this topic a little bit. No one knows for certain how Jake Delhome will respond from his surgery until the pads go on and the games start, but it is being report left and right that he is in the best playing shape in his entire career and his mental outlook right now is superb. He just has this real passion for the game that you don't see in very many players anymore. Steve Smith will certainly cause secondaries night mares once again this season and adding a young/quick receiver in DJ Hackett and a very reliable possession receiver in Muhammad will make Carolina's Offense more potent then it has been since their super bowl season.

You are right that they lost two talented players from the D.line but it has been spoken (but behind closed doors) for the last two seasons that both players have slowed down tremendously and this may be a case of addition by subtraction. They both take too many plays off now and become winded far too quickly. In my opinion they will be good enough on the line and at the 2nd level to be very competitive on Defense. The real question comes @ corner back where they are quite young and have underachieved to this point.

Sorry, all I get down here is Carolina news/press all the dang time. I can't wait to fly up to Buffalo to catch a game this season!

Go Bills!

Carolina is one of those mystery teams. When you think they aren't any good, they surprise you and play great; when you expect them to be great, they disappoint and crap the bed. I've never been able to figure them out.

Carolina is one of those mystery teams. When you think they aren't any good, they surprise you and play great; when you expect them to be great, they disappoint and crap the bed. I've never been able to figure them out.

I couldn't agree with you more. They always seem to do well in games that they should lose but they turn around and lose the games they should win. I guess they play down or up to the level of their competition instead of playing consistant football over the course of a season. I don't think their are a lot of fans left who are still sold on John Fox.

I'm a Bills fan living down here in Carolina country so I can speak on this topic a little bit. No one knows for certain how Jake Delhome will respond from his surgery until the pads go on and the games start, but it is being reported left and right that he is in the best playing shape of his entire career and his mental outlook right now is superb. He just has this real passion for the game that you don't see in very many players anymore. Steve Smith will certainly cause secondaries night mares once again this season and adding a young/quick receiver in DJ Hackett and a very reliable possession receiver in Muhammad will make Carolina's Offense more potent then it has been since their super bowl season.

Go Bills!

Next season the Bills play a regular season game at Charlotte. Can't wait to see how many Bills' fans show up.

Next season the Bills play a regular season game at Charlotte. Can't wait to see how many Bills' fans show up.

l've been to several games at Bank of America Stadium. State of the art stadium with out a bad seat, even corner endzones are better then most places I've visited. My only gripe is that the fans seem to be far too mellow and 'ritsy' for my taste. Unless the Panthers are in the redzone or vying for a big 3rd down stop, no one ever stands up and you see a lot of 'golf claps'. Not knocking the fans. They are as loyal as they come but they are just not of the same breed as Bills fans....

On a side note I've picked up Delhome as my back up QB in two of my fantasy leagues and I have a feeling that he may end up being more then just a viable back up this year. And even though I hate to admit it I've skipped over Evans a few times as well. I hope I end up regretting that as this is one example of poor fantasy drafting that I would welcome in a heartbeat!

Are you assuming that the post-Tommy-John-surgery Delhomme will be the same QB who took that team to a Super Bowl? I'm not so sure. Plus, Rucker and Jenkins are gone from the once-fierce defensive line.

As for the Saints, the corners are still soft, but they added Sed Ellis and Bobby McCray to the line (along with trading for the previously-mentioned Vilma).

Da Bucs might have something to say about that.

Da Bucs might have something to say about that.

The Bucs seem to be hyped up a bit this year in the media and I just don't get it. Sure, they always have a pretty good to great Defense but nothing about their Offense scares me and I'm pretty sure their Defense is no longer among the elete. Just my two cents....

The Bucs seem to be hyped up a bit this year in the media and I just don't get it. Sure, they always have a pretty good to great Defense but nothing about their Offense scares me and I'm pretty sure their Defense is no longer among the elete. Just my two cents....

I dunno, I think their offense is pretty decent. They've got a nice run game, their OL should be improved, they might actually have a TE in the passing game this year, and they were 3rd in points allowed last year.

I dunno, I think their offense is pretty decent. They've got a nice run game, their OL should be improved, they might actually have a TE in the passing game this year, and they were 3rd in points allowed last year.

I don't think Caddy is going to be able to come back from his horrible injury and Garcia isn't getting any younger. This may be the year that Galloway finally starts to show his age( it has to happen sooner then later, right?) and I just don't think they will win a lot of close games. However, perhaps their D is better then I gave them credit for, thanks for correcting me there. I just don't equate them to being as good as they were when they won the super bowl.

A change of scenery may be good for Shockey, and New Orleans is probably the kind of town he'll enjoy. I disagree with Frez that this was some sort of gaffe by Bills' management not to obtain him, however. The fit just doesn't seem to be there. Shockey strikes me as a guy with a McGahee kind of attitude; he'd probably complain about the women in Buffalo and trash the town at every opportunity. Whether you agree with the philosophy or not, the Bills seem to be trying to build a "team-first" mentality and Shockey doesn't exactly fit that scenario.

You're making sh-- up about Shockey. Your assumptions of his personality are way off target.

Probably doesn't cut it man! :lol:

Let's wait and see how he does this season eh? It's a shame Buffalo could have really used him.

IDK lori man i still think the Panthers will bounce back this year, i dont like the saints D.

I agree with Lori. The Saints should be a pretty solid team this year. Last season, they came on pretty strong after the first half of the season...they had a lot of injuries, and have made some decent additions to their roster. Brees has become a borderline elite QB. If Shcckey can stay healthy, and they ever figure out how to use Bush consistanly, they could be an offensive powerhouse. Colston proved he wasn't a fluke, and they might have found a decent replacement for Duece, assuming he doesn't recover from his second knee injury. The more peices that offense has to play with, the better, IMO, Reggie Bush will become. They have also made some pretty solid defensive moves. Vilma is a nice fit for them. I think the Saints are going to be pretty formidable...if their offense is as good as I think it will be, their defense will be better.

You're making sh-- up about Shockey. Your assumptions of his personality are way off target.

Probably doesn't cut it man! :lol:

Let's wait and see how he does this season eh? It's a shame Buffalo could have really used him.

I admitted in my post those are my impressions, not anyone else's. I certainly could be wrong, but that's the vibe I get from Shockey. Does a "team-first" guy sit in a luxury box while his teammates compete for a SB ring?

I don't think Caddy is going to be able to come back from his horrible injury and Garcia isn't getting any younger. This may be the year that Galloway finally starts to show his age( it has to happen sooner then later, right?) and I just don't think they will win a lot of close games. However, perhaps their D is better then I gave them credit for, thanks for correcting me there. I just don't equate them to being as good as they were when they won the super bowl.

I was actually pretty surprised by Ernest Graham last year - I didn't think he'd amount to much, but as it turns out, he's a pretty decent RB. I do agree with you that age could catch up to their offense - but if it doesn't, I could see them finishing ~15th or so in offense, top 10 in defense, which would win them a lot of games I'd think.

I was actually pretty surprised by Ernest Graham last year - I didn't think he'd amount to much, but as it turns out, he's a pretty decent RB. I do agree with you that age could catch up to their offense - but if it doesn't, I could see them finishing ~15th or so in offense, top 10 in defense, which would win them a lot of games I'd think.

You may be right. They certainly are always a well coached team under Gruden. And Graham also surprised me last year with how well he performed when he was pressed into action. His being able to duplicate last season will go a long way in determining the Buc's success this year and I'm just not sure if he will be able to carry the load for a full season....

I admitted in my post those are my impressions, not anyone else's. I certainly could be wrong, but that's the vibe I get from Shockey. Does a "team-first" guy sit in a luxury box while his teammates compete for a SB ring?

The story that I heard was that he wanted to be on the sideline, but the team and the team's doctors would not let him.

If you have ever been on a sideline, you will know the reason why - especially given that he was recovering from a serious leg injury that inhibited his mobility.