Trent's Durability?

I am not entirely sold on Trent as is, although I would say he deserves to be the starter at this point; it is unquestionably his job to lose.

For starters, I am concerned with Trent's history as a "winner." He was 10-20 as a starter during his college career. He also threw nearly as many INTs as TDs, making me wonder why so many have branded him such a smart and savvy protector of the ball. I do however like his seemingly level-headedness and he clearly has good size and nice touch on most of his intermediate throws; I think he coulddevelop into a very nice player when surrounded by quality pieces.

My most pressing concern however, is his durability and toughness. Trent sat out his first year at Stanford in 2002. In 2003, Trent beat out the incumbent starter and started for 4 games before being knocked out for the rest of the season with a shoulder injury. In 2004, Trent was the unquestioned starter but injuries kept him out of four more games. 2005 was Trent's finest collegiate year by far. He played the whole season, and Stanford ran off an impressive 5-6 record. In 2006, Trent was once again knocked out for the remainder of the season, in the seventh game of the year. Wel all know what happened last year -- only adding to Trent's impressive injury history.

My point is that we will see JP as the starter, for one reason or another, at some point this season. It's going to happen and he needs, as well as we need, to be prepared for that. Trent's propensity for sitting out games seems to indicate to me that the Bills will always need to have a capable back-up during the Edwards' tenure. Whether that means spending the extra money to bring in a proven veteran, or investing in another 3rd rounder in the next few years in the draft, I think the Bill's FO will have to address this problem.

I am not entirely sold on Trent as is, although I would say he deserves to be the starter at this point; it is unquestionably his job to lose.

For starters, I am concerned with Trent's history as a "winner." He was 10-20 as a starter during his college career. He also threw nearly as many INTs as TDs, making me wonder why so many have branded him such a smart and savvy protector of the ball. I do however like his seemingly level-headedness and he clearly has good size and nice touch on most of his intermediate throws; I think he coulddevelop into a very nice player when surrounded by quality pieces.

My most pressing concern however, is his durability and toughness. Trent sat out his first year at Stanford in 2002. In 2003, Trent beat out the incumbent starter and started for 4 games before being knocked out for the rest of the season with a shoulder injury. In 2004, Trent was the unquestioned starter but injuries kept him out of four more games. 2005 was Trent's finest collegiate year by far. He played the whole season, and Stanford ran off an impressive 5-6 record. In 2006, Trent was once again knocked out for the remainder of the season, in the seventh game of the year. Wel all know what happened last year -- only adding to Trent's impressive injury history.

My point is that we will see JP as the starter, for one reason or another, at some point this season. It's going to happen and he needs, as well as we need, to be prepared for that. Trent's propensity for sitting out games seems to indicate to me that the Bills will always need to have a capable back-up during the Edwards' tenure. Whether that means spending the extra money to bring in a proven veteran, or investing in another 3rd rounder in the next few years in the draft, I think the Bill's FO will have to address this problem.

Get a blocking fullback.

It's football. Shiit happens.

I think this is a valid arguement.....

I actually think we are going to be pleasantly suprised with Trent....but we do need to have a guy behind him that can play.

Sure it's a valid argument, but can't you say that about EVERY player on the roster? Not that everyone has the same history, but isn't everyone equally suceptibel to injury in this game?

Furthermore, wasn't the Stanford squad he played with like historically BAD? Didn't he get sacked like every fifth time he dropped back or something absurd?

Now having a quarterback with a putrid sack record in college, one could easily turn around and say, "Well, then that speaks to his ability to play the position and avoid the rush." This is totally true, but I think the ONE thing we can all agree on in regards to TE, is that he deals very very with pressure, and during his rookie season-of all times- he displayed a knack for AVOIDING the sack.

I say this because in staying with what I believe to be true about his Stanford team: his injuires, their lack of success, etc. could have all been attributed to being a lousy team. Period.

Boring...

It's just a few weeks away and THEN you can start to pass judgement on Edwards.

We dealt with Losmans inability to improve in his 4 years. Let Trent have the same.

Your keyboard must be huge.

JP gets injured too. 1st year-broken leg in training camp-he didn't need a game to get hurt. 2nd year-gets injured in his 9th start (game 13) & is inactive with injuries the next week & doesn't play in the final 2 games. Year 3-his 1 full season out of 4 -that's 25% healthy the entire season. Year 4-Gets injured in game 3 and loses starting job for 1st (of 2) time that season.

So, before you get confident that JP will start a game, let him make it out of practice healthy & maybe, just maybe he'll start week 16 when the Bills decide to rest Edwards for the playoffs.

Sure it's a valid argument, but can't you say that about EVERY player on the roster? Not that everyone has the same history, but isn't everyone equally suceptibel to injury in this game?

Furthermore, wasn't the Stanford squad he played with like historically BAD? Didn't he get sacked like every fifth time he dropped back or something absurd?

Now having a quarterback with a putrid sack record in college, one could easily turn around and say, "Well, then that speaks to his ability to play the position and avoid the rush." This is totally true, but I think the ONE thing we can all agree on in regards to TE, is that he deals very very with pressure, and during his rookie season-of all times- he displayed a knack for AVOIDING the sack.

I say this because in staying with what I believe to be true about his Stanford team: his injuires, their lack of success, etc. could have all been attributed to being a lousy team. Period.

I see what you're saying, but some players are clearly more suceptible to injury than others. Peyton Manning and Brett Favre are examples of players who, for whatever reason, don't get hurt. Even players who suck and play on lousy teams that get knocked around can be tough and seemingly uninjurable. Look at David Carr when he was in Houston.

I see what you're saying, but some players are clearly more suceptible to injury than others. Peyton Manning and Brett Favre are examples of players who, for whatever reason, don't get hurt. Even players who suck and play on lousy teams that get knocked around can be tough and seemingly uninjurable. Look at David Carr when he was in Houston.

David Carr is a good example. Farve and Manning, not so much. Those guys DON'T get touched. Perhaps Carr is the exception to the rule.

You should be more worried about the health of Jason Peters.

He has not shown to be recovered from a serious groin injury (gee- maybe why the Bills are stalling on the contract)

He missed all of the off-season team workouts- making him more susceptible to additional injury.

He may miss the start of training camp -- making him more susceptible to additional injury.

Actually I dont care about the Stanford injuries....we all know they were bad.

But he did get dinged up last year and our OL was pretty solid in its pass protection.

But he did get dinged up last year and our OL was pretty solid in its pass protection.

Any chance you would entertain the possibility of brass trumping TE's injuries last year in order to give JP one last shot??

The only "ding" I'm aware of from last season was a sprained wrist against the Jets that would have only kept him out one week under normal circumstances (and was somewhat of a freak injury, on a hit after he released the ball). He played from Week 3 through that injury in Week 8, and then finished out the last five games of the season once Losman blew it against the Jags.

Don't see how you call that "dinged up."

The only "ding" I'm aware of from last season was a sprained wrist against the Jets that would have only kept him out one week under normal circumstances (and was somewhat of a freak injury, on a hit after he released the ball). He played from Week 3 through that injury in Week 8, and then finished out the last five games of the season once Losman blew it against the Jags.

Don't see how you call that "dinged up."

I thought there was something else also but I could be mistaken.

His durability doesn't concern me. I look at how much better our OL was last year, and I think it will be even better this year, so his protection will be good. Plus the addition of a FB can only help. He has more targets to throw to with Hardy's addition and Lynch's expected increased involvement in the passing game. Also, his increased preparation and familiarity should contribute to him being more effective and comfortable as well.

I thought there was something else also but I could be mistaken.

I believe there were comments from Edwards himself that he felt "worn down" by season's end because he had not done a good job of keeping his weight up. Thus, he dedicated this offseason to bulking up a bit in an effort to increase strength and stamina.