Building a Pool Deck

The Tomcat

Thanks. I can understand the cost issue. I'm really not crazy about the above ground pools. I grew up with an inground pool in our back yard in WNY that my dad had put in over 50 years ago. So if it were me I'd figure a way to spring for the inground. And I really didn't think the maintenance thing would be an issue.

First let me say 3yrs ago when we bought our 2nd house my wife insisted on having an inground pool. So we would rule houses out right away that did not have an inground pool. The one house she really liked, the guy told me, do not even bother putting an offer in if it is not the asking price. He said the price is non negotiable. I said why is the price nonnegotiable. He then whips out all these receipts, of the stamp concrete & what it cost to put the inground pool in with the surrounding patio. I do not know if the receipts were real(I assume they were) but the whole thing cost them about $40K. Well, I did not like the way he tried to bully me so I basically told the guy to screw off. Later that night, when we went home to our old house(a perfectly fine house I may add), my wife started crying, stating she lost her dream house. Well after about 4hrs of her crying, I finally called the guy & told him I would meet his price. My checking account has been in the sh*tter ever since.

My point is this though. The short WNY summers, make it hard to justify dropping that kind of coin on a pool. For someone that is making fun of our weather all the time, you should understand that more then anybody. Let me say this though. I grew up in a house that had an above ground pool. It was fun & everything but you are right, there is no comparison between. The inground pools are alot nicer, however are not very cost effective given are short summers. It cost about $1000 a year to run. Not sure what an above ground pool would cost.

I still can't believe that my dad successfully designed and built a deck some 20+ years ago. It was quite the experience being something like 6 years old and having to help with that project. He never was the handyman type, but that that thing lasted the full 10-15 years until they got rid of the pool. He had the concrete blocks and the deck was a few inches over the top of the pool. There was plenty of space to cover the thing up each year. The one problem though was that the thing was a bee magnet. I can't count the number of nests I destroyed over the years.

As for the above ground pools out here in the east question, I'm sure it has a lot to do with the extra space most have around here. You can put in an above ground pool and not have to build a fence around the entire thing, which still leaves you a decent size yard.

First let me say 3yrs ago when we bought our 2nd house my wife insisted on having an inground pool. So we would rule houses out right away that did not have an inground pool. The one house she really liked, the guy told me, do not even bother putting an offer in if it is not the asking price. He said the price is non negotiable. I said why is the price nonnegotiable. He then whips out all these receipts, of the stamp concrete & what it cost to put the inground pool in with the surrounding patio. I do not know if the receipts were real(I assume they were) but the whole thing cost them about $40K. Well, I did not like the way he tried to bully me so I basically told the guy to screw off. Later that night, when we went home to our old house(a perfectly fine house I may add), my wife started crying, stating she lost her dream house. Well after about 4hrs of her crying, I finally called the guy & told him I would meet his price. My checking account has been in the sh*tter ever since.

My point is this though. The short WNY summers, make it hard to justify dropping that kind of coin on a pool. For someone that is making fun of our weather all the time, you should understand that more then anybody. Let me say this though. I grew up in a house that had an above ground pool. It was fun & everything but you are right, there is no comparison between. The inground pools are alot nicer, however are not very cost effective given are short summers. It cost about $1000 a year to run. Not sure what an above ground pool would cost.

Sure I make fun of your weather and I feel that's justified. So if the good weather is short lived I'm going to make sure I can enjoy it with an inground pool. Is it a luxury? Sure, but if I couldn't afford it I wouldn't buy a house with it or have one installed. I've heard that out here putting in a pool adds nothing to the re-sale value of the homes.

Sure I make fun of your weather and I feel that's justified. So if the good weather is short lived I'm going to make sure I can enjoy it with an inground pool. Is it a luxury? Sure, but if I couldn't afford it I wouldn't buy a house with it or have one installed. I've heard that out here putting in a pool adds nothing to the re-sale value of the homes.

Depending on the "hood" you could get as much as fity cent on the dollar back here in Florida.

I do not think it really does add any value to your home. You got to remember some people will rule out a house if it has an inground pool(safety reasons etc...). So in that sense you are probably cutting your market by 30% or so. I will never regret having the inground pool. We are having a crappy summer & I have still gone in it a ton. Last summer, when the weather was unreal, I was in it everyday. I am actually glad my wife talked me into it.

I do not think it really does add any value to your home. You got to remember some people will rule out a house if it has an inground pool(safety reasons etc...). So in that sense you are probably cutting your market by 30% or so. I will never regret having the inground pool. We are having a crappy summer & I have still gone in it a ton. Last summer, when the weather was unreal, I was in it everyday. I am actually glad my wife talked me into it.

When I was a kid many, many moons ago, I had a friend whose family had an indoor/outdoor pool. I vaguely remember the set up but I do remember being able to go to his house to swim even when the weather was bad. Not in the winter mind you, but during crappy days in the summer.

What I've heard from realtors out here is that it doesn't increase the value just increases the ease of sale of the property. I love swimming and spending time in the water but if I had a choice it would be either inground or nothing. But that's just me.

Misc Replies:

Tomcat –

I would have the deck slightly higher than the pool for reasons several have listed. DEFINITELY sink post holes below frost line, preferably 40+ inches or more. If you skip this step, your deck will be very short-lived.

Regardless of codes – make sure you have access to the pool (even when covered) LOCKED. Little kids and old drunks drown too easily. I have had decks last over a decade just sinking posts into the concrete footer, without the deck heaving.

Be careful with glass beer bottles (and glass in general) near the pool.

Chef Jim –

Yes, initial cost for an in ground pool is expensive. Mine had an in ground pool when I moved in: 16 x 32 ft, 25000 gallons. I LOVE it. Maintenance cost is really not much more than an above ground, if you keep the water balanced and pool clean. I have never seen an above ground pool that can touch it for overall enjoyment.

EII, Gordio, and others –

It is true that some see “in ground pool” and cross your house off when looking for a home. Above grounds are easily removed. Others (me) see it as a plus!

Marky –

I use a solar cover when it is cold at night, otherwise it is always uncovered. No heater since that is a BIG expense. 83 degrees is freaking bath water. Mine never gets over 80 degrees and I love it. Anything over 75 degrees is refreshing. I run my filter half the time only.

Gordio –

How in God’s name do you spend $1,000 a year on pool maintenance? That crying wife had better be living in that pool! This has been a hot summer – I have been swimming on those “crappy” days. :blink:

As long as we are on the pool topic, how does everyone warm their pool? Solar cover? No cover and direct sun?. My pool has no shade cover until about 6pm it starts to move into shade. Still my pool never really gets that warm, 83 tops. I tried no cover lately during a hot spell, and it seemed to do better than with the cover. Maybe the sun shining all the way through the water? My wife insists on running the filter on sunny days with the cover on and I think that defeats the solar cover purpose

Drinking a 12 pack in the pool and never getting out. :thumbsup:

I've always viewed my above ground pool as "short term" and never put up a deck or ran an underground electrical line to the filter. As my daughter enters her high school eyars and uses the pool less each year, I believe it will come down within the next couple of years.

As to why put in an above ground vs. in ground here in WNY? The swimming season is way too short to justify the cost of an in ground.

Misc Replies:

Tomcat –

I would have the deck slightly higher than the pool for reasons several have listed. DEFINITELY sink post holes below frost line, preferably 40+ inches or more. If you skip this step, your deck will be very short-lived.

Regardless of codes – make sure you have access to the pool (even when covered) LOCKED. Little kids and old drunks drown too easily. I have had decks last over a decade just sinking posts into the concrete footer, without the deck heaving.

Be careful with glass beer bottles (and glass in general) near the pool.

Chef Jim –

Yes, initial cost for an in ground pool is expensive. Mine had an in ground pool when I moved in: 16 x 32 ft, 25000 gallons. I LOVE it. Maintenance cost is really not much more than an above ground, if you keep the water balanced and pool clean. I have never seen an above ground pool that can touch it for overall enjoyment.

EII, Gordio, and others –

It is true that some see “in ground pool” and cross your house off when looking for a home. Above grounds are easily removed. Others (me) see it as a plus!

Marky –

I use a solar cover when it is cold at night, otherwise it is always uncovered. No heater since that is a BIG expense. 83 degrees is freaking bath water. Mine never gets over 80 degrees and I love it. Anything over 75 degrees is refreshing. I run my filter half the time only.

Gordio –

How in God’s name do you spend $1,000 a year on pool maintenance? That crying wife had better be living in that pool! This has been a hot summer – I have been swimming on those “crappy” days. :thumbsup:

Well maybe not $1,000 but I figure $220 for Majestic to open the pool(blowout the lines) & to close the pool each year. Bastards raised it $30 this year. I figure another $100 on Bromine(the big bucket which costs $180) lasts me 2yrs of use, probably an extra $100 in electric bills for the summer season, another probably $100 for the extra money in my heating bills for June - August(I like the pool at least 80 degrees), & this year my 4 year old threw one of his plastic toys in the pool & clogged the filter so I had Majestic come over for that. The bill was $81. $75 for the service call & $6 for the actual work(fuggin criminals). So this year I figure it is about $800 or so. & before you say why don't you just blow out the lines yourself. Let me explain something. I am the least handy person on the face of this earth. I would f*ck it up & then would have the pipes burst in the winter. At least when I have Majestic do it they guaranty it.

As far as my crying wife is concerned, it is funny she has not even been in the pool hardly at all this year. Says it is too cold. Yesterday, I took the day off, went golfing in the morning & me & the little guy were in the pool all afternoon. She jumped in for a few seconds, got out & said it was too cold. She is a real piece of work.