Does Anyone Actually See JP Pushing Edwards.....

H2o

I wonder what JP's mindset is right about now? Edwards has been declared the starter going into the season and he's (JP) in the last year of his contract. Last year at this time JP had the whole world in his hands. He was coming off of the 06' season and seemed to be progressing well. He had also been voted a team captain by the players. He seemed to show alot of promise at the QB spot and even Jim Kelly said that. The guy has a cannon arm, but just doesn't seem to be able to bring it all together. I blame part of where he's at now on Mularky for throwing him to the wolves the way he did. Either way, I wonder what is going through the guy's head right now and how he'll perform. What if Edwards goes down and JP has to play for an extended period of time? I'm sure the guy would love nothing more than to have a career year and then walk. What do you guys think?

I wonder what JP's mindset is right about now? Edwards has been declared the starter going into the season and he's (JP) in the last year of his contract. Last year at this time JP had the whole world in his hands. He was coming off of the 06' season and seemed to be progressing well. He had also been voted a team captain by the players. He seemed to show alot of promise at the QB spot and even Jim Kelly said that. The guy has a cannon arm, but just doesn't seem to be able to bring it all together. I blame part of where he's at now on Mularky for throwing him to the wolves the way he did. Either way, I wonder what is going through the guy's head right now and how he'll perform. What if Edwards goes down and JP has to play for an extended period of time? I'm sure the guy would love nothing more than to have a career year and then walk. What do you guys think?

I've always liked JP, and have defended him frequently, but even with that he has seemed to missing that extra "something", the ability to make plays when needed to, that has led to where he is now. My suspicion is that he's already a full step out the door. I believe he will give it his best shot when or if called upon, but will the preparation be there? I don't believe he'll be given much of a chance to do any pushing this year.

I think the only thing JP is pushing this year is a hard-on for The Bills.

But I expect he'll be a good soldier about it, however I'm not looking for him to raise one pinky to help out unless it directly benefits him.

Why should he?

He's got a union job, a steady paycheck and he's marking his time to when he can leave for a more appreciative employer.

I think the only thing JP is pushing this year is a hard-on for The Bills.

But I expect he'll be a good soldier about it, however I'm not looking for him to raise one pinky to help out unless it directly benefits him.

Why should he?

He's got a union job, a steady paycheck and he's marking his time to when he can leave for a more appreciative employer.

If he gets a chance to play in 08 (not totally impossible given NFL QBs and injuries), it'll just be a chance to audition for his next team. Perhaps ironically, the current situation, and pending get out of jail free card, may allow him to play loose and not press, which always seemed to be part of his implosions IMO.

JP will be ready to play if he gets a chance, just like last year when he came off the bench against the Jets, after he'd lost his job for the first time. He's definitely gone after the season and will be looking to show teams what he can do. I doubt he'll play loose though, since he'll want to make a good impression. It will be interesting though to see if the changes on offense help him like they seemingly should help Trent.

JP had plenty of chances to claim the job and failed. I grew so tired of him locking onto Lee Evans and throwing bounce passes to everyone else. He got replaced by a rookie. Enough said. He will be in the league for 6-8 years as a back-up because of his physical skills but doesn't have "it."

JP had plenty of chances to claim the job and failed. I grew so tired of him locking onto Lee Evans and throwing bounce passes to everyone else. He got replaced by a rookie. Enough said. He will be in the league for 6-8 years as a back-up because of his physical skills but doesn't have "it."

JP might be in the better position of the 2 QBs. Trent right now is betting his career on a coaching staff with zero history of developing a QB into a decent one. Statistically speaking, JP's 2006 season might be the best ever by a Jauron coached QB. JP may end up next year in a better coaching situation and end up having himself a nice career as a starter, fueled in part by the tremendous motivation that the Bills will leave on him.

JP might be in the better position of the 2 QBs. Trent right now is betting his career on a coaching staff with zero history of developing a QB into a decent one. Statistically speaking, JP's 2006 season might be the best ever by a Jauron coached QB. JP may end up next year in a better coaching situation and end up having himself a nice career as a starter, fueled in part by the tremendous motivation that the Bills will leave on him.

Actually, here's a great question for a media person to ask Jauron:

Coach Jauron, JP Losman's 2006 season was the best ever performance among any QB that you've coached. You've consistently said during your time in Buffalo that you need competition at all positions. Tell us why he isn't at least considered in competition for the job this season?

JP never had a chance to develop with the Bills. He played for a number of different coaches in a number of different offenses, on teams with little to no talent. The JP HATERS all say he had a chance but couldn't get the job done. I say who could get the job done with the coaching & players he has had around him? Steve Young & Jim Pluckett are two players that come to mind that didn't have "it" until they moved on from their original teams. I think JP's future & legacy will be determined by the team he goes to in 09.

I like JP Losman a lot. I have never wanted a player to succeed, in Buffalo, like I did Losman. He is a great kid, seems to have a great attitude, and seemed to embrace a city that most athletes want no part of.

All that being said, if the Packers don't feel they Brett Favre anything at this point, an opinion that seems to be gaining momentum amongst sports fans inside and outside of Wisconsin, than the Buffalo Bills certainly don't owe JP Losman anything. He hasn't succeeded. He has failed more often than not. He has had to deal with all the things that every NFL player has to deal with (poor play calling, lack of talented receivers, poor offensive line play), and he hasn't been able to add anything, to any of those situations, to make any of them better. JP does everything right, except on the field. People who continue to whine about the Bills not giving him a chance are delusional, or just aren't thinking clearly.

As for the original question, will JP push Trent Edwards? I don't see it. JP has never looked good in pre-season games, when he was named the starter, or when he was serving as a backup. That being said, there is a fairly good chance that Losman will get some playing time, in the regular season, to show that he can play. He will likely show enough in those opportunities, to have some suitors, once the season is over. We don't know for sure, but I would imagine, JP is beyond the point where he feels he is trying to win the Bills starting job.

He may luck into it...a lot can happen.

JP never had a chance to develop with the Bills. He played for a number of different coaches in a number of different offenses, on teams with little to no talent. The JP HATERS all say he had a chance but couldn't get the job done. I say who could get the job done with the coaching & players he has had around him? Steve Young & Jim Pluckett are two players that come to mind that didn't have "it" until they moved on from their original teams. I think JP's future & legacy will be determined by the team he goes to in 09.

J.P. = R.J.

I was pro-JP from day 1, way back when Murlarkey stupidly handed him the reigns. I was pro-JP because I'm pro-Buffalo and will support the starting quarterback. In 2007 I was (believe it or not!) pro-JP AND pro-Trent for this very reason.

Then came the Jax game and we were all handed the Cliff-Notes version of JP's career. End of story.

Will he push Trent? Just hard enough to prepare himself to chuck an 88 yard bomb to Evans once TE goes down, IMO.

TOTAL NON-SEQUITOR: one thing I was always waiting waiting waiting for was a long scramble from JP, and it just NEVER happened. Everyone kept saying it was because SF made him stay in the pocket, stay in the pocket. But I distinctly remember situations where Trent would tuck it when they needed 4-6 yards, and get the first down. This was something that used to ENRAGE me about JP. When you stand and stand and stand, unless the defense has two LB's spying (in which case SOMEBODY has to be open), there's got to be room somewhere (especially for a quick-footed, slippery guy like JP) to get those 5 yards and keep the chains moving. But it just never happened.

TOTAL NON-SEQUITOR: one thing I was always waiting waiting waiting for was a long scramble from JP, and it just NEVER happened. Everyone kept saying it was because SF made him stay in the pocket, stay in the pocket. But I distinctly remember situations where Trent would tuck it when they needed 4-6 yards, and get the first down. This was something that used to ENRAGE me about JP. When you stand and stand and stand, unless the defense has two LB's spying (in which case SOMEBODY has to be open), there's got to be room somewhere (especially for a quick-footed, slippery guy like JP) to get those 5 yards and keep the chains moving. But it just never happened.

For a non-sequitor, that is pretty insightful, as it pertains to JP's problems on the field. You recall Trent scrambling for a first down, but not JP. That illustrates the difference between our two QB's, and is likely an illustration of why the coaches like their chances better with Edwards. JP has all the athletic ability you could want in a QB, but he simply doesn't process the play in front of him quick enough. This is what is kind of exciting about Edwards. He may have an average arm, and be only average mobility, but he thinks fast, and knows where he wants to put the ball quickly. I have no doubt, JP has the physical ability to be a great scrambling QB, but he just takes too long to decide when to run. I rewatched most of this past season over this offseason, I can tell you, as bad as the team looked against the Patriots and Steelers in weeks 2 and 3, JP was simply awful. He was feeling pressure that wasn't there, and making awful throws. He is better than that, his head just has to catch up to his ability. How long do you give a guy to get to that point.

I know the JP=RJ thing is kind of a joke around here, but there are striking similarities. Just the other night, I was watching an old college game between USC and UCLA, with RJ at quarterback. Johnson was a tremendous athlete, I can see why teams were sucked in. He was a great scrambler, with a tremendous arm, strong and accurate. A QB can get away with being "slow" (in a mental-football sense) at the college level...in the pros, it gets you killed, and your team will lose a lot more than it wins.

I know the JP=RJ thing is kind of a joke around here, but there are striking similarities. Just the other night, I was watching an old college game between USC and UCLA, with RJ at quarterback. Johnson was a tremendous athlete, I can see why teams were sucked in. He was a great scrambler, with a tremendous arm, strong and accurate. A QB can get away with being "slow" (in a mental-football sense) at the college level...in the pros, it gets you killed, and your team will lose a lot more than it wins.

Scouts and GMs make a lot of mistakes. Jason Peters was undrafted; Bryce Paup was a 6th round pick. In the instance of RJ, these guys were spot on.

I saw RJ play a few college games and was amazed by his natural ability, and his accuracy. I wanted them to draft him over Collins and couldn't understand why they did not. Yet with all this talent, he lasted until round 4. I saw the good game he had in Jax that fueled the trade, and was thrilled to get him in Buffalo.

During his entire stay here, I was thinking that some day he would put it all together. I wouldn't have been shocked to see him develop into a very good qb at Tampa, or even on Washington. Then, I was at RWS when the Skins brought him in against us and he was nearly killed. :lol:

Why did I think he would be good? Pure talent. He had everything you list above, and he was tall. I know what you mean when you say he was a 'scrambler," but I would even refer to him as a pure runner as well.

I will never make this mistake again as a fan. There is way more to being a great, or even a good qb than natural talent. If Tom Brady was to be judged on his arm and ability to run, he might look rather ordinary. Montana would have been way worse than average.

Now before anybody gets indignant, I do not liken Trent to Joe Montana. I do however think that he has a solid chance to be a very good qb in this league. As a rookie, he made good, quick decisions. He is obviously very smart.

JP? His talent is beyond dispute. He may put it all together some day; who really knows? Still, we have been waiting a long time, and sometimes it is better just to cut bait. Injuries notwithstanding, he will not challenge Trent in camp nor preseason.

Just my $.02.

I was pro-JP from day 1, way back when Murlarkey stupidly handed him the reigns. I was pro-JP because I'm pro-Buffalo and will support the starting quarterback. In 2007 I was (believe it or not!) pro-JP AND pro-Trent for this very reason.

Then came the Jax game and we were all handed the Cliff-Notes version of JP's career. End of story.

Will he push Trent? Just hard enough to prepare himself to chuck an 88 yard bomb to Evans once TE goes down, IMO.

Excellent points. Go back a rewatch the Pitt game last year. Losman had lanes open all day to run thru, but either refused to do it or waited to long & the lane closed down. I was at the game. It was one of the most pathetic displays of qbing that I have ever seen. Totally played scared. Now I am sure the losman supporters are going to say that SF told him or advised him to stay in the pocket & let the play develope. Eventually though I would think that if it was 3rd & 4 & you see 10 yards of open field ahead of you his instincts would take over & say "screw it, I am taking off getting 5 yards for the 1st & keep the chains moving". To me Losman just is not game smart, has no instincts & feel for the game. You could have all the talent in the world, but a qb that has no feel or instincts for the game is not going to be very successfull IMO.

jp's only good games comes when he has zero pressure on him, or is constrained greatly by the gameplan.

he's a lesser qb than rj.

remember in his second season when he was the starter, how did it take for him to throw for 200 in one game? and holcomb came in and did it regularly. he passed for 75 yards against atl, and threw away a game against NO who got the 2nd overall pick that year. he's awful.

Scouts and GMs make a lot of mistakes. Jason Peters was undrafted; Bryce Paup was a 6th round pick. In the instance of RJ, these guys were spot on.

I saw RJ play a few college games and was amazed by his natural ability, and his accuracy. I wanted them to draft him over Collins and couldn't understand why they did not. Yet with all this talent, he lasted until round 4. I saw the good game he had in Jax that fueled the trade, and was thrilled to get him in Buffalo.

During his entire stay here, I was thinking that some day he would put it all together. I wouldn't have been shocked to see him develop into a very good qb at Tampa, or even on Washington. Then, I was at RWS when the Skins brought him in against us and he was nearly killed. :lol:

Why did I think he would be good? Pure talent. He had everything you list above, and he was tall. I know what you mean when you say he was a 'scrambler," but I would even refer to him as a pure runner as well.

I will never make this mistake again as a fan. There is way more to being a great, or even a good qb than natural talent. If Tom Brady was to be judged on his arm and ability to run, he might look rather ordinary. Montana would have been way worse than average.

Now before anybody gets indignant, I do not liken Trent to Joe Montana. I do however think that he has a solid chance to be a very good qb in this league. As a rookie, he made good, quick decisions. He is obviously very smart.

JP? His talent is beyond dispute. He may put it all together some day; who really knows? Still, we have been waiting a long time, and sometimes it is better just to cut bait. Injuries notwithstanding, he will not challenge Trent in camp nor preseason.

Just my $.02.

One thing Bill, why does everybody say his talent is beyond dispute, or he has all the talent in the world? Really. I do not know, I think he has some talent obviously but watching this guy for 3 years I just do not see the abundance of talent in him the way others do.

One thing Bill, why does everybody say his talent is beyond dispute, or he has all the talent in the world? Really. I do not know, I think he has some talent obviously but watching this guy for 3 years I just do not see the abundance of talent in him the way others do.

Because he can throw a deep fastball with little air under it. He doesn't have Bledsoe/Marino arm strength mind you, but he can zip it in as if he is throwing a baseball.

I was surprised when I first saw him run as well. He can motor, and has more than 1 gear (sorry to talk in cliches). :lol: