The Redskins trade a 2009 2nd rder for DE Jason Taylor.

I do not like this move at all. The Dolphins are not a factor this year either way, but they will be a tough team a couple of years down the road. Now they will have another high draft pick to add to the mix. I would have rather seen them hold on to Taylor for a year or two until he retires.

Exactly. This is a great deal for Taylor, because he gets to get out of Miami, and away from Parcells. A great deal for the Dolphins too.

You have to admire the way Dan Snyder went out and addressed a need for his team, immediately (lost both his starter and #2 guy on the same day, first day of training camp), but if they had been more patient, I bet they could have gotten Taylor for far less than a second and sixth round pick. When you think of all the great players that have been trade bate over the last five years or so, who were had for nothing, you have to wonder what the Skins were thinking.

I remember the Skins being mentioned as a destination for Taylor, before the draft, and Vinny Cerano saying that Taylor "wasn't the right kind of player for our defense." How things change. Does Jason Taylor give the Redskins an edge over the Cowboys or Giants? I don't think so. They don't even know what kind of coach they have. I have a hard time imagining the Redskins being a lot better, with all of these changes. For what the Skins gave up for Taylor (a guy they will likely only have for two years at best), couldn't they have scoured the rosters of other teams, and come up with a cheaper (in dollar and draft pick value) option for themselves, and secured a player they could have for a few more years than Taylor.

Meanwhile, the Miami Dolphins (an utterless ship since Don Shula left), are starting to devise a plan. As much as people love to hate Bill Parcells, this was a shrewd move by him. They will get better. The only silver lining in this, as a Bills fan, is that, perhaps, as the Patriots fade (say two or three years from now) the Bills will be running the division again, with the Dolphins nipping at their heals...just like old times....I hope....

You would think Dan Snyder would have learnd by now, the best teams in the NFL build their nucleus through the draft, and augment (or fine tune) their squad through free agency and trades like this one. The Skins are still more than one good defensive end away from being a serious contender. Just suppose, Brett Favre does become available this summer. If the Redskins were interested (which has been the buzz), they would, almost by default, have to give up their first round pick for him. Well played Mr Parcells, Danny, go to your room....

This is what happens when a team waits to unload its unwanted talent.

Istead of running around giving away vets in contract years too early and at bargain basement prices, you stay patient until the demand goes up due to an injury.

Exactly. This is a great deal for Taylor, because he gets to get out of Miami, and away from Parcells. A great deal for the Dolphins too.

You have to admire the way Dan Snyder went out and addressed a need for his team, immediately (lost both his starter and #2 guy on the same day, first day of training camp), but if they had been more patient, I bet they could have gotten Taylor for far less than a second and sixth round pick. When you think of all the great players that have been trade bate over the last five years or so, who were had for nothing, you have to wonder what the Skins were thinking.

I remember the Skins being mentioned as a destination for Taylor, before the draft, and Vinny Cerano saying that Taylor "wasn't the right kind of player for our defense." How things change. Does Jason Taylor give the Redskins an edge over the Cowboys or Giants? I don't think so. They don't even know what kind of coach they have. I have a hard time imagining the Redskins being a lot better, with all of these changes. For what the Skins gave up for Taylor (a guy they will likely only have for two years at best), couldn't they have scoured the rosters of other teams, and come up with a cheaper (in dollar and draft pick value) option for themselves, and secured a player they could have for a few more years than Taylor.

Meanwhile, the Miami Dolphins (an utterless ship since Don Shula left), are starting to devise a plan. As much as people love to hate Bill Parcells, this was a shrewd move by him. They will get better. The only silver lining in this, as a Bills fan, is that, perhaps, as the Patriots fade (say two or three years from now) the Bills will be running the division again, with the Dolphins nipping at their heals...just like old times....I hope....

You would think Dan Snyder would have learnd by now, the best teams in the NFL build their nucleus through the draft, and augment (or fine tune) their squad through free agency and trades like this one. The Skins are still more than one good defensive end away from being a serious contender. Just suppose, Brett Favre does become available this summer. If the Redskins were interested (which has been the buzz), they would, almost by default, have to give up their first round pick for him. Well played Mr Parcells, Danny, go to your room....

This is right on target. Synder, once again, showing how "agressive"(read: stupid) he is. Parcells, once again, showing how subtle and smart he is. And yeah, this doesn't bode well for us....in about 2-3 years, maybe. I'm not sure that we should be that worried. We are talking about 2, solid, pro-bowl proven, pain in our asses leaving immediately in Taylor and Thomas, in trade for who knows who and who knows what?

We have been doing the same thing? Sure we have, but we have also been hitting every draft pick pretty darn well. Even Youboty is at least worth trade bait status.

It's been clearly demonstrated statistically on this board, multiple times, that there is a minimum 30% chance of every draft pick busting, in all positions. And, < 30% chance of 1st and 2nd round players actually making the pro-bowl-->ever. It's not a sure thing. We know Parcells tends to draft well, but even with that I'll take it. You never know, he could always pull a Ditka. It's a positive for us any way you look at it.

The fact is that we still don't know who plays QB for the Dolphins. We haven't known that for sure for the last 3-4? years. Given Parcells'(?) history with QBs, I doubt we will know that for the next 2 years, minimum. So yeah, we will probably have to face a better and better defense every year, but the good news? Our offense will have a 2 year head start on them in terms of continuity, and that you cannot trade/draft/pay to have, and, their O is likely to be awful.

Right now, the Dolphins have no leader on O or D, and a GM helper who hates his QBs. (I'm sure Romo's missed FG fun didn't help that bias at all.) Suffer Dolfags! Suffer!

Regarding Dan Snyder, it seems he is intent on getting Churchill's quote backwards: He'd rather be consistent than right.

This is what happens when a team waits to unload its unwanted talent.

Istead of running around giving away vets in contract years too early and at bargain basement prices, you stay patient until the demand goes up due to an injury.

Sorry but this situation isn't even comparable to McGahee's. And McGahee's price wasn't going to go up because no important RB got hurt prior to the season.

Sorry but this situation isn't even comparable to McGahee's. And McGahee's price wasn't going to go up because no important RB got hurt prior to the season.

While were at it: McGahee + Spikes <<<<< Poz + Stroud (and we got to draft Edwards in our original draft spot) = obie_wan needs to get a grip on reality.

Our FO absolutely robbed the Ravens and Eagles blind. There's no denying it. Clements has done nowhere near special things for the special $$$ he's getting paid, and London Fletcher has clearly proven that he's merely on level with the other 8-9 decent MLBs in the NFC...for now. I hardly see how he distinguishes himself and is a must sign player, or, that we carelessly let him go.

How do you mean? Danny may have made a big mistake in how he replaced Joe Gibbs, but there is no way the Skins will hold the second worst record in the league, especially not coming out of the NFC. They will be in the NFC's playoff hunt with Taylor knocking around Eli and Homo.

I don't know, the rest of that team isn't exactly something to write home about. I can't see them finishing anything but dead last in that division.

1-15 teams typically have huge bounce-back years. I'd expect them to win six games.

There's nobody on that team who's worth anything outside of mabye Ronnie Brown, if he stays healthy. Personally I'm rooting for the 0-16 the so heartbreakingly missed out on last year.

Wannstedt's teams over his five seasons (2000 - 2004) made the playoffs twice, and he only had 1 credited losing season in '04 when he was canned during that season.

I should have said, "since Jimmy Johnson> I think Jimmy Johnson deserves the credit for that. Johnson did have a plan, but was hamstrung, IMO, by Dan Marino. Marino had Johnson despised eachother (and that is not an exaggeration, from what I understand). Johnson wanted to build a team in the image of his Cowboys teams, but he was stuck with a legend, past his prime, at the most vital position. Johnson, for all his bluster (and an owner that loved Marino) could not get rid of his legend QB.

Wannedstadt was a horrendous head coach, and is particularly dangerous when he has control over personel. I could be wrong about this, but, I recall, going into the 2007 season, one of the ESPN draft guys, blasting the Dolphins under Wannestadt, saying that there were only two starters going into the season, who were drafted during the Wannestadt regime. That is just pitiful. Five drafts netted two players worthy of holding down a starting job. The Dolphins had always been a solid franchise under Shula...Johnson was rebuilding them, but left before the job was done...it took Wannestadt a few years to run the team into the ground (as he did in Chicago), but he got there...the well intentioned, but bumbling owner didn't help much.

I should have said, "since Jimmy Johnson> I think Jimmy Johnson deserves the credit for that. Johnson did have a plan, but was hamstrung, IMO, by Dan Marino. Marino had Johnson despised eachother (and that is not an exaggeration, from what I understand). Johnson wanted to build a team in the image of his Cowboys teams, but he was stuck with a legend, past his prime, at the most vital position. Johnson, for all his bluster (and an owner that loved Marino) could not get rid of his legend QB.

Wannedstadt was a horrendous head coach, and is particularly dangerous when he has control over personel. I could be wrong about this, but, I recall, going into the 2007 season, one of the ESPN draft guys, blasting the Dolphins under Wannestadt, saying that there were only two starters going into the season, who were drafted during the Wannestadt regime. That is just pitiful. Five drafts netted two players worthy of holding down a starting job. The Dolphins had always been a solid franchise under Shula...Johnson was rebuilding them, but left before the job was done...it took Wannestadt a few years to run the team into the ground (as he did in Chicago), but he got there...the well intentioned, but bumbling owner didn't help much.

Fair enough.

I cannot believe they got a 2nd rounder for that over-rated sack of shlt. I hope the Skins enjoy spending every Sunday watching him make one play in the 2nd quarter and then disappearing for the rest of the game.