Is it too much to ask the Buffalo News

The article in today's Buffalo News, posted on the main page says Kelly retired in 1998. Twice they reference 1998, even referring to the Bills wanting to start Todd Collins. Why can't the local paper get their facts straight? Kelly retired early 1997, Todd Collins got waived in 1998-the 1st year of the Flutie-Johnson QB controversy. Not only poor writing, but poor editing as well.

The article in today's Buffalo News, posted on the main page says Kelly retired in 1998. Twice they reference 1998, even referring to the Bills wanting to start Todd Collins. Why can't the local paper get their facts straight? Kelly retired early 1997, Todd Collins got waived in 1998-the 1st year of the Flutie-Johnson QB controversy. Not only poor writing, but poor editing as well.

And this was important to you why now...?

Well, you see, there's this article in today's newspaper and they have their facts wrong.

January 31, 1997 -- JIM KELLY RETIRES

Bills QB Jim Kelly officially announced his retirement from the NFL in a press conference at the Bills Fieldhouse in Orchard Park, NY.

Oh, I see, and you can't make it through the day knowing that someone misquoted Jim Kelly's retirment year.

Got it.

Oh, I see, and you can't make it through the day without criticizing someone for something that you care nothing about.

Got it.

Krazykat, it was obviously important enough for you open the thread so what's your deal exactly? Somehow your self-hatred and loathing is so overpowering that you feel compelled to come onto this thread and take a shot at someone pointing out that the local newspaper sucks and can't even get it's facts straight? Wow, must be a tough life. Buck up, things will get better. Although you need to change you attitude a little or you'll only be what you are... a inconsequential pimple on the planet.

And as for the facts, it's a perfect example of the the lack of validity of that newspaper. As a former newspaper reporter, it's laughable that this rag continually butchers everything it does. We're as WNYers are subject to a weak newspaper in a one newspaper town because said newspaper has no competition, and thereby, no incentive to work hard to win readership and actually provide a valuable service. I mean, afterall, isn't the role of the newspaper to inform? And when it fails to even have the ability to provide the simplest correct information, it weakens and already poor repuatation. And as someone who doesn't even read the sports section (I want news and insight about sports, not retards like Sullivan and his drivel), I can say that this is true in the business, local and other sections.

Oh, I see, and you can't make it through the day knowing that someone misquoted Jim Kelly's retirment year.

Got it.

You have no problem criticizing Bills players and management, some of it (but not all) deserved. Seems odd that you'd suggest The News is above similar criticism.

Thanks for stopping by, Bucky. Next time, look up the damn date.

Got it.

I guess we should just expect newspapers to print wrong information, especially with regards to sports in the "sports" section.

In other news, today Neil Armstrong set foot on the moon! And KrazyKat is totally ok with that.

Oh, krazykat. In one thread, suggesting that one shouldn't care about a Buffalo news mistake. In another thread, going absolutely insane over one small comment in a Buffalo News article.

You, sir, are indeed one krazy kat.

So ... factual errors by News reporters are allowable, but statements of opinion are verboten. I understand perfectly.

Or not.

:thumbsup:

Wow. I just so seldom login to post on this board--mostly I just lurk and read--but wow. Sometimes there's just something so freaking stupid that I have to sign in.

Look: If our newspaper can't get basic sh-- like this right, and this really is basic, how can we trust it on reporting other, perhaps more important, issues? (No, this does not mean the price of orange soda at Wegmans. I mean issues that intelligent grown-ups follow.) Can that fundamental concept really have passed by you? (And if so, you're still able to use the Internet? Are you a savant of some type?)