Brett Favre Tampering?

Nipsey

Because he is still under contract with the Packers. If you were allowed to "retire" then talk to any team about coming back, all guys who weren't happy with their team would "retire" instead of hold out, and just sign with whoever they wanted.

How can it be tampering if the dude is retired and has NOT filed for reinstatement yet? Can someone explain this to me?

He still hasn't offically filed his "retirement" papers with the league.

He still belongs to the Pack

He still hasn't offically filed his "retirement" papers with the league.

He still belongs to the Pack

he si only retired in name right now, until he signs his retirement papers with the NFL, he is property of the Packers for 2 more years (the rest of his contract that he signed). He is on their Long Term Injured Reserve/Retirement list.

Alot of players that hang them up on their own (i.e. not because they are too hurt to play again) will "retire" in name only and hold off on signing their retirement papers with the league in case they change their mind or theres interest from some other team that wants them. Its their way of calling it quits, but keeping their options open

he si only retired in name right now, until he signs his retirement papers with the NFL, he is property of the Packers for 2 more years (the rest of his contract that he signed). He is on their Long Term Injured Reserve/Retirement list.

Alot of players that hang them up on their own (i.e. not because they are too hurt to play again) will "retire" in name only and hold off on signing their retirement papers with the league in case they change their mind or theres interest from some other team that wants them. Its their way of calling it quits, but keeping their options open

Then how come all you hear on the tv/radio/news is "when Favre will be reinstated"? If he isn't officially retired, what needs reinstating?

Then how come all you hear on the tv/radio/news is "when Favre will be reinstated"? If he isn't officially retired, what needs reinstating?

The Packers put him on their Long Term Injured Reserve/Retirement list.

He is not active and can not get paid his salary.

He needs to notify the Pack that he wants to be activated ("reinstated")

The Packers put him on their Long Term Injured Reserve/Retirement list.

He is not active and can not get paid his salary.

He needs to notify the Pack that he wants to be activated ("reinstated")

Ok, gotcha. If they put him on the "Long term injured reserve/retirement list" but he's not actually injured or retired, and they can get away with not paying his salary, why don't more teams do that with disgruntled players? Such as Chad Johnson or Jason Taylor? I know if they don't show up, the team can fine them, but I'm surprised this hasn't been done before.

Ok, gotcha. If they put him on the "Long term injured reserve/retirement list" but he's not actually injured or retired, and they can get away with not paying his salary, why don't more teams do that with disgruntled players? Such as Chad Johnson or Jason Taylor? I know if they don't show up, the team can fine them, but I'm surprised this hasn't been done before.

Because a team can't just place a player on to that list because they feel like it.

The player has to announce his retirement and still have time left on his contract, or they have to have a serious injury like Everett's before they can be moved to that list.

All it is for is to allow the team to keep the injured/"retired player" on the roster should they ever be able to return (in the retired players case its incase they change their mind before signing their papers) so they won't have that influencing their cap numbers.