man spends $1000/ week on beer

justnzane

http://www.reuters.com/article/newsOne/idUSSYD22265820080715

Man spent $1,000 a week on beer?

Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:51am EDT

Email | Print |

| Reprints | Single Page| Recommend (32)

[-] Text [+]

Photo

1 of 1Full Size

powered by Sphere Sphere

Featured Broker sponsored link

Money Center

Learn to Trade with a FREE Guide.

SYDNEY (Reuters) - An Australian man convicted of his seventh drink-driving charge was spending about A$1,000 ($972) a week on beer -- enough to buy more than 2,500 small bottles a month, a newspaper said Tuesday.

The heartbroken construction worker began drowning his sorrows after breaking up with his partner five years ago, the Northern Territory News said, quoting his defense lawyer as telling a court in Australia's remote, tropical north.

The magistrate declined to jail the father of four, Michael Leary, noting he had quit drinking since his latest arrest, but he banned Leary from buying or even holding a beer for 12 months.

The magistrate also poked fun at Leary's favorite beer, Melbourne Bitter, in a part of the country where drinkers can be as loyal to beer brands as they are to football teams.

''(That is) poor judgment on two counts there -- drinking that much and drinking Melbourne Bitter,'' magistrate Vince Luppino was quoted as saying.

(Editing by David Fox)

I for one am impressed, considering that my biggest bender put me at $200 during my college years, and a lot of that was hard liquor. Doing the math though, that guy had to have a constant BAC over .3. So here's to you :D Mr. $1000/ week alcoholic :thumbsup;

It's not Melbourne Bitter, it's Victoria Bitter -- I must have put down 500 of those things while I was over there. I've been looking for it here for a while, I don't think it's imported at all. VB they called it...

Edit.. I guess next time I'm in San Francisco...http://www.victoriabitter.net/

A$1000 is $972 US? The value of the dollar really has gone to Stojan.